RWD Confirmed for Ford and Lincoln

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There, now everyone talk about it and quit complaining.

Don't worry, they will still find plenty to complain about. Here's some fodder for them:

It will take too long...

It won't have a 1000 hp...

It won't get 80 mpg and run on farts...

:blah: :blah: :blah: :blah:

This is good news though and personally, I can't wait...

Edited by NLPRacing

Oh yeah. Mercury has zero need to replace the Grand Marquis with something from this century. :redcard:

I simply mean the whole urban/ girl thing. I don't think the GM is even part of their plans...and I still think it should be killed yesterday.

I do however, agree with you, and think that Mercury will slowly die.

I simply mean the whole urban/ girl thing. I don't think the GM is even part of their plans...and I still think it should be killed yesterday.

I do however, agree with you, and think that Mercury will slowly die.

I don't think they will kill off Mercury, I just don't think it will be anymore then 3 or 4 models of rebadges Fords with Lincoln getting the more unique product. Ford really has nothing to lose by keeping Mercury and really nothing to gain by killing it.

Last I heard back in July, the Grand Marquis was definitely part of the program, so I'm not sure what happened between then and now. One thought is that Mercury will remain FWD as an alternative to RWD Lincolns.

Taurus and MKS will go RWD, and I suspect both cars may grow a little bit to act as dual replacements for both the current Taurus and MKS, as well as to make a little room for an MKR at Lincoln.

I don't think they will kill off Mercury, I just don't think it will be anymore then 3 or 4 models of rebadges Fords with Lincoln getting the more unique product. Ford really has nothing to lose by keeping Mercury and really nothing to gain by killing it.

That's Ford's plan for the moment. Milan and Mariner represent the future here. Ford will be getting TONS of new models in the near future, many of which would be easy additions to LM showrooms with some tweaking.

Whatever the plan...its moving forward with a RWD platform. I imagine that Ford will get it right. Ford wants to hold on to the fleet business and I think those who appreciate the Panthers for those same qualities, will probably be accepting of whatever Ford has to offer. I may be wrong, but I think Ford understands the need to produce a modern interpretation of the Panther to please the loyalists, the fleet buyers and hopefully, some new customers as well.

Last I heard back in July, the Grand Marquis was definitely part of the program, so I'm not sure what happened between then and now. One thought is that Mercury will remain FWD as an alternative to RWD Lincolns.

Taurus and MKS will go RWD, and I suspect both cars may grow a little bit to act as dual replacements for both the current Taurus and MKS, as well as to make a little room for an MKR at Lincoln.

Ugh. Please no RWD Taurus. It's just such a weak name for a RWD sedan that might have even a hint of performance intentions (sorry SHO fans). Call it Falcon or something. Taurus is such a bland-mobile name. Perfect for the vehicles its name has graced in the past....

All that's been confirmed is that they're working on RWD platforms. There's nothing in the blurb that says anything has been approved for production.

GM was working on a new DOHC V8, too.

two words...Aussie Falcon...........ready willing and ABLE.....

doubtful, Taurus may remain status quo...larger sedan aka Interceptor size will be RWD....

Edited by Deanh

As much as I don't like the thought, I think the Taurus will be come RWD...theres been lots of hints dropped about it here by people, but it also all depends on the timing of this happening, the next Taurus is due in about 2 years, which to me isn't enough time to put out a RWD platform, unless Ford has been busy working on it since last year and would indicate an addition car to the lineup. But if the new RWD platform doesn't hit till after 2011, its going to be the Taurus who becomes RWD.

All that's been confirmed is that they're working on RWD platforms. There's nothing in the blurb that says anything has been approved for production.

GM was working on a new DOHC V8, too.

GM has been working on a DOHC V-8 longer than Ford has on the Hurricane.

REAR WHEEL DRIVE TAURUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! FOR THE UMPTEENTH TIME, NOOOOO ADDHD PLEASE.