RWD Confirmed for Ford and Lincoln

way i look at it is Ford as Ford, Mercury could now be Fords Up-market Lincoln, and Lincoln could become Fords Jaguar...even more up-market, floorplans could be the same basically however body styles should all be TOTALLY different...each needs its own identity.....

Then where does that leave Volvo?

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Then where does that leave Volvo?

don't rightfully know, volvo has always beaten to its own drummer and retained its own entity....they kinda have their own flavor, but floorplans being shared is a good thing....I actually eventually see Lincoln with the potential to compete, unless Volvo go's even MORE upmarket

There is no need. In a few years Europe and NA products will be pretty much the same.

That would imply that everything Ford builds anywhere on Earth would be built and sold in each country. That won't happen. F-150 is an example. There will always be products unique to certain parts of the globe regardless of how streamlined Ford gets and therefore always something to import from somewhere.

HOWEVER! I was just joking when I said Merc could become an import brand. What I really believe is that Merc is/will be gone.

The way I see the new Ford;

Ford = Ford

Lincoln = the new Mercury (a US mid-level brand)

Volvo = the old Lincoln (though a Global lux brand)

Mazda = Ford's Scion

some understand, some won't take no for an answer and waste everyones time..its actually very simple...if the car touches soil YOU pay taxes etc, if you PAY for trucking to a port with a bill of lading you DON"T get any rebates and warranties are voided when it leaves US soil....

A non-refundable security deposit for all export orders - that would sort them out.

Which way is cheaper or are they the same?

Not in the market, just curious if anyone asks.

Mistyped reference to ADHD (Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder), in this case it expresses annoyance that Blue II has several times indicated that Ford's GRWD sedan will be called "Taurus" (IMO, far from the wisest move Ford has ever made).

Why not call it Torino? At least that is an international name (Turin, Italy) for a global platform! I'm joking!!!

A non-refundable security deposit for all export orders - that would sort them out.

Which way is cheaper or are they the same?

Not in the market, just curious if anyone asks.

they have to pay cash anyways, the port will not release without a notorised Manufacturers Certificate of Origin....I know its about $6-900 US to get to hawaii...I would guess $1500- 2000.....

Mistyped reference to ADHD (Attention Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder), in this case it expresses annoyance that Blue II has several times indicated that Ford's GRWD sedan will be called "Taurus" (IMO, far from the wisest move Ford has ever made).

I hope not....a good V8 RWD platform would be a great conduit to re-introduce some glorious old "muscle" car iterations...ie Cougar.....

How's this for a line up:

Mustang - a continuing icon

Falcon - long lost sibling returns

Fairlane/LTD - the Mustang/Falcon based luxury car

Territory - the Mustang/Falcon based CUV.

Put Mustang and Falcon based products on one platform and it all links together.

Edited by jpd80

Ugh... that would really stink. What is so bad about a full-sized FWD car?

Its the end of the world to some people around here...I'm not into calling a RWD car a Taurus, considering that the Taurus was never RWD in its existance...then again its just like people bitching about the next gen Explorer going Unibody

nuttin like RWD for handling some SERIOUS horsepower.....FWD can handle it but torque steer becomes a huge issue and can only really be rectified by an AWD conversion....RWD cars are also reputed to be easier to service and work on as the transmission and engines are EACH accessible, and also weight distribution is inherently better on a RWD vehicle for handling "balance"....FWD has its own list of benefits...I've had both, each has its strengths and weakness, but hitting the throttle in a powerful FWD beware if those wheels aren't dead straight....

Edited by Deanh

Pontiac G8 should be an indicator of market interest in a RWD car.

Holden/Pontiac G8 is performance orientated where as Ford AUS felt any export

to US should exude luxury but still with reasonable performance.

its not selling that well though...perhaps a consequence of transoceanic styling not as appealing to the Americano tastes perhaps!

There is no need. In a few years Europe and NA products will be pretty much the same.

In Corporate America speak, that means they will be outsourcing design and engineering overseas to the cheapest supplier they can find.

Pretty sad when Ford cannot even design an automobile in North America anymore. 10 years from now Ford will be the F-150 and everything else an import.

In Corporate America speak, that means they will be outsourcing design and engineering overseas to the cheapest supplier they can find.

Pretty sad when Ford cannot even design an automobile in North America anymore. 10 years from now Ford will be the F-150 and everything else an import.

That is not what it means. Besides, the way the US is going, it will soon be the cheapest place :P.

having not driven the fairlane/LTD myself, I must reserve judgment until I can.

I am not terribly excited by a ZF transmission (bad taste from previous ZFs) or the overall width, or even the styling.(looks like 90's FWD continental) but the interior space is good as is the wheelbase, and available engines (if they include both engines.) I have to admit that I will assume that ford would only import the v-6, as the 5.4 would be politically incorrect in a passenger car, making bill's green friends unhappy.

This is awesome news, I just question naming the RWD car a Taurus, there are plenty of good names for a RWD car, Fairlane, Galaxy, 427, Falcon, the Taurus isn't known for being RWD.

Right, but this car also needs to sell to the mainstream, level-headed folks as well, and justifying a Ford Galaxie 500 to your wife isn't as easy as an honest Taurus.

Besides... it won't be hard to offer a special edition Taurus. SHO, Fairlane, Galaxie, 427 (hp out of the 3.5TF), all come to mind with some simple front clip re-arranging. Anyone else think this comparison is a mere coincidence?

3-ford-interceptor-concept.jpg

10994-1993-Ford-Taurus.jpg

Same roofline, squared off front and rear end... hmmm...