2009 Dodge Ram

wescoent

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You guys as you get all misty eyed over this Rambox forget Ford offers very sophisticated cargo management system if you are into that kind of stuff. Add in anti sway technology for pulling trailer and guide adjustment for liming up ball and hitch and you have a very user friendly package. I really think Ford has all the bases covered on capability and can't think where they aren't.

And don't forget Rambox is only offered on one model, the crew cab, and nothing else. So if you don't want or need a Crew cab, you are out of luck on Rambox. On the other hand, you can get the cargo management system on the F-150 on about any model. I was looking through F-150 catalogue recently, and that cargo system was shown on super cab and crew cab. Very integrated, thorough system for guy who carries lots of tools and extra secure locks on them.

I think the fact that this is not sophisticated is what has everyone talking about it. Simple, easy to use and does not require anything other then opening and closing a compartment that is easy to get to. I'm willing to bet that this same feature will eventually be seen on Fords and GM's sooner rather then later.

Also, Ram had the trailer anti-sway control since last model year (on the last gen Ram).

Edited by Intrepidatious

I think the fact that this is not sophisticated is what has everyone talking about it. Simple, easy to use and does not require anything other then opening and closing a compartment that is easy to get to. I'm willing to bet that this same feature will eventually be seen on Fords and GM's sooner rather then later.

Also, Ram had the trailer anti-sway control since last model year (on the last gen Ram).

That's just it...the Rambox doesn't hold much of anything. You will notice in advertising that not much is in it other than bicycle and football helmets. A full sized tool chest, no way. One would be foolish to put expensive tools in that cheap box even if they would fit which they won't. You are basically putting nit nacks in your fenders. It's a fricking gimmick and nothing more. Not sure why so many of you are having trouble seeing it. Not a horrible idea, but no panacea either.

The new Ram is a mild refresh. 10% more power out of an already powerful Hemi, and mild freshening of front and sides with very mild freshening of rear. Biggest change was a better interior. A nice truck, but nothing earth shattering.

The new F-150 is not earth shattering either, but Ford went farther to change more on that truck because they have more to lose than Chrysler if they f--k it up. Maybe some of the styling was changed on F-150 for change sake and that is sometimes not good, but Ford was thorough and comprehensive in many changes that make that truck more capable. The new F-150 is lighter, more torgue, more hp especially under load, and many more features. In fact, the new F-150 is lighter and bigger at the same time. That is a major engineering feat IMO and I commend Ford for pulling it off. Think about it....LIGHTER AND BIGGER.

And good timing in that by time new F-150 is shipped the economy should be improving as interest rates go lower with mortgage rates and housing should show some signs of life after being dead in the water. And if Feds plow some money into infrastructure needs as planned like roads and sewers, there will be need for new pickups. And no better work truck out there than F-Series.

And I like the Ram, I'm not sure what all the ilk for it is coming from. Great power, decent looking inside and out, a nice fully boxed frame and the bed storage is pretty cool(btw its composite and unless you are carying around something like a 1' section of chain and nothing else it probably wont make any noise audiable to the interior, and wouldn't EVERYTHING carried in the back of a pickup be subject to the same possible noises in the first place??). Not sure about the coil springs, obviously the payload took a hit but I wonder how much it will help the truck handle. Hopefully the front suspension component durability and steering feel have been reworked, that was the trucks worst quality in the first place. For most NORMAL non-commercial buyers it should be more then fine. As posted before, I like all of the big 3's stuff, and each has its own niggling issues but overall it's really just good ol' personal choice.

It's a fricking gimmick and nothing more. Not sure why so many of you are having trouble seeing it. Not a horrible idea, but no panacea either.

Gimmicks sell cars and that is something that Ford seems to have forgotten in their recent era of ho hum cars. Once upon a time somebody just like you was complaining that power windows are just a gimmick. Curise control? Ha, just a gimmick!!

The smart business is the one that offers the product with that little bit of something different to make it stand out and get attention. Remember that there's no such thing as bad press. I can't swear to it but I believe it wasn't all that long ago that Ford was considering doing exactly the same thing as the Rambox. I'm sure at that time you and all the other Ford boys around here thought it was a fantastic idea.

There's nothing wrong with the idea and for all of you who have spent the last several days with the "Yeah but what if . . . . " scenarios, did you ever stop to think that maybe the guys over at Dodge asked themselves the same things? Nope. So it won't hold your chainsaw. So what, that's not what it's designed for. Frankly if you leave expensive tools in the back of your truck, even if they are in a bedbox, you are asking to have them stolen. A half assed theif can bust into a bed box in a matter of seconds. There comes a point where you have to be responsible as an owner. There are plenty of things you can put in the Rambox, it's a neat idea and it's likely to get some guys to go look at Dodge trucks next fall. Case closed.

Gimmicks sell cars and that is something that Ford seems to have forgotten in their recent era of ho hum cars. Once upon a time somebody just like you was complaining that power windows are just a gimmick. Curise control? Ha, just a gimmick!!

The smart business is the one that offers the product with that little bit of something different to make it stand out and get attention. Remember that there's no such thing as bad press. I can't swear to it but I believe it wasn't all that long ago that Ford was considering doing exactly the same thing as the Rambox. I'm sure at that time you and all the other Ford boys around here thought it was a fantastic idea.

There's nothing wrong with the idea and for all of you who have spent the last several days with the "Yeah but what if . . . . " scenarios, did you ever stop to think that maybe the guys over at Dodge asked themselves the same things? Nope. So it won't hold your chainsaw. So what, that's not what it's designed for. Frankly if you leave expensive tools in the back of your truck, even if they are in a bedbox, you are asking to have them stolen. A half assed theif can bust into a bed box in a matter of seconds. There comes a point where you have to be responsible as an owner. There are plenty of things you can put in the Rambox, it's a neat idea and it's likely to get some guys to go look at Dodge trucks next fall. Case closed.

you may be right, however remember the hoopla on this site touting Ford's "mid Box"????? To date ZERO, and I mean ZERO inquiries.....so it remains to be seen, Fords issue may have been related to its cost.....

The fact that the bed sides (I should have used that term), are way too high to be of any use. But, like I said, the 99% of F-150s are used as minivans so it really doesn't matter.

dude just get over yourself......if my dad, myself, my friends, my neighbors, contractors, or 90% of people that buy a "gas guzzling"(people like to use that term) pickup were just driving around family then we would have picked something more fuel efficient, of course you don't know this cause you don't drive a pickup

maybe in your world people just drive pickups with nothing in the bed and never hook a trailer up to it cause they just want to take joy rides with their family and friends....

so if your statement is remotely true, then why not just say all 1/2 ton pickups instead of the F-150?

oh shit i forgot because you hate everything Ford except your vic......yet you spend a shit load of time posting these ridiculous comments cause you have nothing better to do, i come to this forum for information about my favorite auto company, you come here for.......?

you may be right, however remember the hoopla on this site touting Ford's "mid Box"????? To date ZERO, and I mean ZERO inquiries.....so it remains to be seen, Fords issue may have been related to its cost.....

yeah that thing was ugly......it should only belong on the fleet contractors vehicles, good idea for that application though, this Rambox is a more personal thing since they are trying to target the new Ram at the individual instead of the fleet contractors

yeah that thing was ugly......it should only belong on the fleet contractors vehicles, good idea for that application though, this Rambox is a more personal thing since they are trying to target the new Ram at the individual instead of the fleet contractors

ugly but functional but WAAAAAY overpriced...I remember taking a rashing when I said it would fail miserably due to being exceptionally expensive....didn't eat crow on this one at all.....

I would imagine that the most important thing for the "plywood test" is that it fits between the wheel wells and I suspect it does. Probably where there is intrusion is inside up near the bed walls. Its probably similar in how a flairside (stepside) truck has a considerably narrow box, but still retains the same width from wheel well to wheel well. Of course, a tool box is going to do the same thing.

The Rambox is a good idea I think. It won't be for everyone, but some will definitely appreciate it. Plus, depending on the amount of storage capacity on both sides, it may do away with the necessity for some to buy a tool box behind the cab.

"it may do away with the necessity for some to buy a tool box behind the cab."

I doubt that. And bed boxes down the sides of the beds are not in great demand. IMHO, they have spent a great amount of time to develope something to differentiate their product that has no marketplace demand. The added toolboxes can be removed. The Rambox cannot. It's a permanent handicap, and once the consumers of this truck toy come to that realization it will be discontinued.