Wow!!!!!!!

FordBuyer

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It is an example of why Ford is in such trouble, and why in 5 years Ford North America will be selling nothing but knockoffs of other people's designs - not that they are very far from that today.

Uh last time I checked the new Mazda 6 is based on the current Fusion platform, which itself was an improvement over a Ford owned Subsidiarity....not a knockoff of someone elses design.

So if GM uses the same platform for the New Malibu as the SAAB 9-3, the Malibu is a knock off? :redcard::finger:

I just love what I am reading from the cheerleaders on here....The amighty God's gift to the large car market, the so-called "Safest Car in America", is a sales flop...and instead of going away, it's getting ANOTHER restyle in barely FIVE years time.....yet the cheerleaders snicker at the notion of A restyle for the first time this millenium for the only OTHER fullsize sedan offering Ford has who's name must go unmentioned on here since BON has blacklisted it along with the Ford sales team for the last decade, which CONTINUES to rival/outsell the Taurus and shame the Sable month to month on sales despite one of the two "un-named" nameplates being forced to fleet sales only.

So your suggesting that the 500/Taurus is supposed to keep the same styling like the Panther is doing? Yeah, um ok....The 500 came out in late 2004, had a restyle (basically a new front end and slightly redone rearends) in 2007 and will have all new sheetmetal in 2009 or 2010, 6 years after it came out...and they should strung up because they are Improving the car instead of letting it rot like the Panthers? Who had even a bigger drop in sales then the D3 cars did?

absolute flop here ( So Cal ).....no one even seems to stock them.....shame, kinda like the car,

Yeah in DC people drive them and LRs a lot. I wonder if it regional. I see about as many Edges as I do Freestyles TXs. So I wonder if the Edge is more poplar in So Cal than here.

no

Buddy. It's part of the TOS here:

You agree, through your use of this service, that you will not use this bulletin board to post any material which is knowingly false and/or defamatory, inaccurate, abusive, vulgar, hateful, harassing, obscene, profane, sexually oriented, threatening, invasive of a person's privacy, or otherwise violative of any law.

http://www.blueovalforums.com/forums/index...?act=boardrules

You can't post that kind of stuff here. You can get mad and leave, but you aren't going to find many other worthwhile places on the internet where that kind of abuse is tolerated.

Bear in mind that what you do with this warning is on you. It's not on me. You're responsible for how you react to this.

You can either back off the antisemitism, or you can have your posts edited for content. It's up to you.

What leads you to believe it is a restyle?

Throwing even more money away at anything more would be increasingly assinined.

It's all office politics - Ford will dump more money down that black hole because it is their black hole. They who are responsible for product planning gain nothing professionally by maintaining competitiveness for a product designed by previous management, regardless of what is good for the company as a whole.

It is an example of why Ford is in such trouble, and why in 5 years Ford North America will be selling nothing but knockoffs of other people's designs - not that they are very far from that today.

Touche'

So your suggesting that the 500/Taurus is supposed to keep the same styling like the Panther is doing? Yeah, um ok....The 500 came out in late 2004, had a restyle (basically a new front end and slightly redone rearends) in 2007 and will have all new sheetmetal in 2009 or 2010, 6 years after it came out...and they should strung up because they are Improving the car instead of letting it rot like the Panthers? Who had even a bigger drop in sales then the D3 cars did?

I'm suggesting it needs to go away....restyle the STILL more successful existing RWD <insert nameplate we can't mention> and concentrate the successful FWD midsizer that should have been called the Taurus, the Fusion.

Edited by Armada Master

Its funny as the detractors never really tell you what the DO like or drive themselves. I can only listen so much to someone who drives a 94 civic or an old taxi cab.....I have had 7 new Fords in the last 5 years alone and sit with an inventory of over 1000 new at peak stock and have driven literally tens of thousands of vehicles. If I feel like taking a dump truck or an 07CLS550, or a C6 corvette or an 07 Sebring, or even a Plymouth Prowler to 7-11 for smokes right now I can...

Actually thats a great idea, I see an 06 Mini Cooper S cleanup just brought around and I don't feel like walking to my car so I'll take that.

Wait are you a dealer? How well are the Tauruses selling for you? I know from area to area their results can vary. Do they move quickly or do they sit for a while?

I'm a big fan of the Taurus name, but it belongs on their next revolutionary family car, not a RWD toned-down Interceptor/govt. fleet car. If that's the direction Ford's going next, they would probably be better served finding a new name. If I had my druthers, the new Taurus would be some big stand, symbolic of the 86 (and even 96) models: an all hybrid/turbo engine lineup, carbon fiber body panels, something that's as much a step forward as the first Taurus was.

I've heard nothing to suggest a new Taurus would be rear drive. Let's not forget that GM is cutting back on its rear drive plans because of the demands of the new CAFE requirements. If Taurus is to remain a family car, you can bet it will remain front/AWD, just like every other car in this class. The new one they're talking about now is almost certainly a rebody of the existing Taurus; nothing else could be ready this soon. It doesn't need much more improvement than that anyway. The current one is satisfyingly quick, feels like a real luxury car on the highway, and handles better than any previous Taurus (including the last SHO I owned), and as well or better than Accord and Camry. So, with a good looking body, at last, there's every reason to expect it to sell. Throw in an Ecoboost SHO V6 version, and an Ecoboost 4 cylinder version and it could be a real hit, even without a hybrid version.

Edited by EMDEE

(BlueII said: "Thomas L. Freidman is a liberal Jewish hack journalist with Newsweek.")

(RJensen responded: "Please refrain from using "Jewish" in a manner that could easily be construed as an insult.")

no

I have no ethnic or racial dog in this fight but I find this response from BlueII and his original comment ugly and offensive. If there is a moderator for this site, I'd say that moderation is called for. In the year 2008, in a country called America, it's hard to accept that there are still people around who think and act like this. You sir, simply should keep your puerile biases to yourself. This is car discussion forum.

Back to topic:

It's pretty amazing to read some of the hostility that comes up against the Taurus. As few people here who apparently has some role at dealerships have pointed out, it would be nice is folks making all the criticism had actually driven the car. I rent one when I get the chance, and have rented all its reasonable competitors. It's a damn good car. And while I'm not wild about its overly conservative looks, I have several times been complemented about the car when I was renting it. There are people out there who really like its appearance and mistake it for a large Audi. Not the worst thing someone could say about. But I really encourage those who think its such an awful car to go out and rent one for a weekend. Drive the hell out of it (after checking tire pressures, the usual). See how quiet, stable and firm it feels at 100 mph. Through it into freeway ramps way beyond the posted speeds. Push it hard. You will be surprised.

Give it sharp new body and interior and this car will sell. Part of the problem with the current one is that dealers don't stock it, and even when they have one or two on hand, they make little effort to sell it. They make their money on Edge, Mustangs, Explorers Expeditions and F150s, all of which sell themselves. With few exceptions, dealerships rarely have more than one person who actually knows the cars and how to sell them.

Edited by EMDEE

Yup...it's has been included in the last few MP3s for MPGs TV ads I've seen. :reading:

I just love what I am reading from the cheerleaders on here....The amighty God's gift to the large car market, the so-called "Safest Car in America", is a sales flop...and instead of going away, it's getting ANOTHER restyle in barely FIVE years time.....yet the cheerleaders snicker at the notion of A restyle for the first time this millenium for the only OTHER fullsize sedan offering Ford has who's name must go unmentioned on here since BON has blacklisted it along with the Ford sales team for the last decade, which CONTINUES to rival/outsell the Taurus and shame the Sable month to month on sales despite one of the two "un-named" nameplates being forced to fleet sales only.

So when/if the Taurus flops after this next 2009 restyle....should we all giggle and clap when Ford restyles it yet again 2011-2012? What a load of bigpoop.gif.

Let's get something straight: The new Taurus was a design change that was planned from the get-go, re-naming it was not planned and something Mullaly decided.

So the car got a refresh after 3 years. That sounds about RIGHT to me. In other markets, the Five Hundred lives on (go to Saudi Arabia and you'll see TONS of them, and even MORE Crown Vics).

The word is the SHO model is back in a couple years. Other changes are coming. So why can't folks STOP complaining about the models not getting updated, and when they DO get updated folks whine yet again. Seems impossible to please some people, I guess.

For those who think the Crown Victoria isn't popular, like I said, go check out www.aljazirahford.com (I think I spelled that right). It was just named the largest volume Ford dealer in the world, and the largest selling Crown Victoria dealer in the world. Over 150,000 cars sold in about seven years, I believe.

When STAP does get idled, the Taurus should be right on par to fill in and take over the gap. And I'm lovin' it.

(Just to clarify: I DON'T want STAP to be idled, I love those guys for building the best damn cars on the road...nor do I want CV's to end...but at least if they do end it, something's planned so there won't be a gap)

Edited by 96TownCarCartier

I'm suggesting it needs to go away....restyle the STILL more successful existing RWD <insert nameplate we can't mention> and concentrate the successful FWD midsizer that should have been called the Taurus, the Fusion.

More successful? What the fuck are you talking about? The Taurus has out sold the CV by large margin ever since it came out in 1986...

The Panther is done and over with...no amount of restyling is going to save the turkey

Hey Julio, I don't chatter.

The Taurus designer is named Freeman Thomas

Thomas L. Freidman is a liberal Jewish hack journalist with Newsweek

Stop taking my information and playing hero

look - you post info on the internet - it becomes public - if you do not want it to spread - do not post it ... you are not my only source, but your posts from past 2 days have been a major reason for writing this article ...

once again .. you are a leak .. you are an inside source - you post information that spreads over the internet .. I am just the medium of that spread.

Sorry about the mistake of the designer. .. was trying to get it up last night.

Igor

lets hear it for ford for once it has listened. i have owned three and this present one is homely and stodgy definately won,t buy this current ugly rendition of what was once a beautifully aerodynamic car. thank you!!! give me back my sleek sporty taurus dressed to rip through the night. if you give me more horsepower i will certainly buy another one. but please get away from that boxy five hundred stodge mobile . what a big mistake it was to abandon this name plate with it,s rich heritage of race proven technology and drop dead good looks it,s still one of the prettiest shapes on the market and still copied incessantly by the jap scrappers!!!!!

and this present one is homely and stodgy definately won,t buy this current ugly rendition of what was once a beautifully aerodynamic car.

The current car is an improvement on the '96 version. Ford went way overboard with the oval theme back in '96.

Back in '96 they also took what was once the nicest looking wagon on the market (something I think revived station wagons) and severely over-designed the rear-end.

Mind you, I see several '96 generation "Tauri" on the road so no matter what it looked like, they are still around en masse.

The current car is an improvement on the '96 version. Ford went way overboard with the oval theme back in '96.

Back in '96 they also took what was once the nicest looking wagon on the market (something I think revived station wagons) and severely over-designed the rear-end.

Mind you, I see several '96 generation "Tauri" on the road so no matter what it looked like, they are still around en masse.

Yeah, I drive a pristine 2002 Taurus SES and a beat up 2004 Taurus company car at present, and the Taurus is a nice car. I really can't say a bad thing about it. And there are still millions of them on the road and the trick for Ford is to keep most of these Taurus owners in the Ford family when time comes to replace it. The present Taurus although it had a decent December does not seem to be picking up business from older Taurus owners like myself, or at least not in sufficient numbers. I like that Ford sees a problem and is fixing it with new one as early as next year. I like the new Taurus, but it seems to have same problem as 500...it's still seen as "old man's car." The next Taurus has to be exciting looking and Ford has to advertise it to convey exciting feeling and get away from safety conscious image which is killing it.

Yeah, I drive a pristine 2002 Taurus SES and a beat up 2004 Taurus company car at present, and the Taurus is a nice car. I really can't say a bad thing about it. And there are still millions of them on the road and the trick for Ford is to keep most of these Taurus owners in the Ford family when time comes to replace it. The present Taurus although it had a decent December does not seem to be picking up business from older Taurus owners like myself, or at least not in sufficient numbers. I like that Ford sees a problem and is fixing it with new one as early as next year. I like the new Taurus, but it seems to have same problem as 500...it's still seen as "old man's car." The next Taurus has to be exciting looking and Ford has to advertise it to convey exciting feeling and get away from safety conscious image which is killing it.

One thing I should have conveyed was that I think the 2000 redo of the '96 Taurus was a huge improvement. In fact, they should have had the 2000 redesign's styling as the '96 model but hindsight is 20/20. Unfortunately, they didn't touch the one aspect of the wagon that I didn't like.

Edited by MarkFive

One thing I should have conveyed was that I think the 2000 redo of the '96 Taurus was a huge improvement. In fact, they should have had the 2000 redesign's styling as the '96 model but hindsight is 20/20. Unfortunately, they didn't touch the one aspect of the wagon that I didn't like.

Actually, I had a 1999 Taurus SE before the present 2002 model. I really liked the 1999 as it was very good looking in the color I had and with the alloy wheels with 24 valves. The vehicle was actually a head turner and I kind of miss it. I like the 2002 better only because it is optioned better with more features I wanted.The 2002 is more reliable too with no recalls to the 1999 two recalls which are pains in the ass. Before that I had a 1997 Taurus with Vulcan engine and 1999 Taurus was much better with 24 valver.

In Metro Detroit, the older Tauruses are still the number one most scene vehicle on the street. And I think that will remain for many years to come in present economy. But I do see more Fusions than ever and they are pretty prevalent around here now. This is my order for most seen vehicles on Metro Detroit streets with Ford being number one seller around here:

1. Previous generation Taurus/Sable

2. Fusion/Milan

3. Explorer/Mountaineer

4. Escape/Mariner

5. Edge/MKX

6. Focus

Of course F-150 would be way up there with E-vans, but so much of that is commercial. The Taurus/TaurusX does seem to sell around here which is Ford country. Living around here, you would never know Ford had sales problem. Just real common on streets where Ford is located and its employes.

(BlueII said: "Thomas L. Freidman is a liberal Jewish hack journalist with Newsweek.")

(RJensen responded: "Please refrain from using "Jewish" in a manner that could easily be construed as an insult.")

I have no ethnic or racial dog in this fight but I find this response from BlueII and his original comment ugly and offensive. If there is a moderator for this site, I'd say that moderation is called for. In the year 2008, in a country called America, it's hard to accept that there are still people around who think and act like this. You sir, simply should keep your puerile biases to yourself. This is car discussion forum.

Back to topic:

It's pretty amazing to read some of the hostility that comes up against the Taurus. As few people here who apparently has some role at dealerships have pointed out, it would be nice is folks making all the criticism had actually driven the car. I rent one when I get the chance, and have rented all its reasonable competitors. It's a damn good car. And while I'm not wild about its overly conservative looks, I have several times been complemented about the car when I was renting it. There are people out there who really like its appearance and mistake it for a large Audi. Not the worst thing someone could say about. But I really encourage those who think its such an awful car to go out and rent one for a weekend. Drive the hell out of it (after checking tire pressures, the usual). See how quiet, stable and firm it feels at 100 mph. Through it into freeway ramps way beyond the posted speeds. Push it hard. You will be surprised.

Give it sharp new body and interior and this car will sell. Part of the problem with the current one is that dealers don't stock it, and even when they have one or two on hand, they make little effort to sell it. They make their money on Edge, Mustangs, Explorers Expeditions and F150s, all of which sell themselves. With few exceptions, dealerships rarely have more than one person who actually knows the cars and how to sell them.

actually i'll back Blue II on this one...seems someone is a little PC sensitive, substitute ANYTHING for the word Jewish and what? is it still an issue? next up the race card....get over it, its a word that I don't think was used in a derogatory manner at all...if it offended someone then that is their OWN problem if the word Jewish can be construed/ twisted into an offending parameter...hell i would be more offended with the word "Hack" as that is a backhanded insult..... if you are Jewish you are Jewish, you are who you are....be proud of it

LOL!...I knew someone would catch it...one of my personal all time favourites

HAHAHA

Do you realize what you started? That would make Mulally Ishmael the Amish dude... and Nasser would be Ernie McCracken (the Bill Murray character)