White Most popular color

silvrsvt

White was the darling color for those that did not want to take a chance. But that was twenty something years ago. It's also when silver would fade, flake and fall off your car overnight if parked outside. Now, silver is the safe color. Black is for people old enough to be dead. And there isn't anything truly new, just different. And nobody is flocking to it yet. Mica colors might be next though, eh?

Eww.

My Fusion is gold ("dune pearl"), but that was the only one on the lot that had what I wanted--if I had the choice I would never have another car that wasn't black. (Especially the Fusion--really brings out the taillights.)

White, though... seriously? I hope it's a fleet illusion.

Edited by danup

My mustang is white, so was the crown vic I sold last year. I like the "clean" or "fresh" look of white.

or as somebody said...maybe I'm conservative and it's a "safe" colour?

Always liked white, course I like flourescent lights in the house and white walls...must be why the wife does all the decorating! LOL!

All my cars have been black. Yes, gotta hand wash it once a week, but it's a labor of love. My neighbor appreciates it when I wash the car in front of her too without a shirt :) It's sort of a game of tease...

Silver and probably beige platinum are the colors that hide the most dirt/grim, but beige I'm thinking "old lady driving Camry", and silver just shows scratches on the bumper if someone happens to rub their bumper against it.

I hate plane ole white (though an 05 Plus Mustang with Blue Racing stripes I would totally rock), but I can sure dig white with some pearl in it like the Tri-coat on Lincolns and Caddies...

I nearly had a heart attack last week though, I saw a newish CTS that looked pink...got up closer to it and it was a Mary Kay car that was white with a Pink Peal on it :lol:

Fords "white " isn't the BLAZING white it used to be...and it now has some off shoots, Creme Brulee, and the Tri-coat...BOTH of which look fantastic on the Edge........

Our Expedition is Oxford white.

I love the White Chocolate tri-coat color. On pretty much any vehicle you put it on, it looks good, IMO.

Give me black or give me death!

I will only buy black, but it is a HIGH maintenance color. Nothing rewards cleanliness than a nice glassy black! If I had to rank color choices...

Black

Silver

Charcoal (Gray)

White

Blues

Colors to avoid at all cost...

Yellow

Orange

Red

Green

Give me black or give me death!

I will only buy black, but it is a HIGH maintenance color. Nothing rewards cleanliness than a nice glassy black! If I had to rank color choices...

Black

Silver

Charcoal (Gray)

White

Blues

Colors to avoid at all cost...

Yellow

Orange

Red

Green

So you're a true Henry Ford type person, getting a car in any color, as long as it's black.

Edited by rmc523

• 2 weeks later...
Three of the four cars I've owned have been white. The non-white one is Deep Forest Green Clearcoat Metallic. Incredibly oxidized, faded Deep Forest Green Clearcoat Metallic on the decklid and right quarter.

I hate clearcoat.

Unless the car never moved after you purchased it and it only saw partial sunlight in the same spot(s) this has nothing to do with a base/clear paint.

Whether chitty lacquers, chitty enamels, half-arse acrylic urethane clears, half-arse acrylic urethane single stages, polyurethane clears, polyurethane single stages, UV inhibited coatings or waterborne coatings they all have a nifty little additive(s) in their formulation called ultraviolet light absorbers aka UV inhibitors.

Regardless of coating type/technology its up to the coating manufacturer to decide on what type(s), what percentage and what grade quality of UV inhibitors he is going to use in his coating.

That said it doesn't matter if the manufacturer only used one UV inhibitor of less than average quality at the bottom end of the recommended % ratio or 3 high quality UV inhibitors at their maximum recommended formulary % because unless this vehicle, which is covered uniformly with what you call sorry base/clear, never moves and stays mostly shaded there is absolutely no possible way for only a select horizontal and select vertical panel of the vehicle to oxidize while other panels didn't. Not only does UV light travel in a straight line (the reason why all those Big 3 paint peelers peeled on the top surfaces only and why top surfaces degrade faster than sides) but the basecoat/clearcoat used on your vehicle isn't smart enough to know that while it all came out of one huge 1000+ gallon batch at the manufacturer its now currently coating a vehicle with multiple panels. Not to mention its not smart enough to decide which panels it wants to fade on and which panels it wants to retain its gloss on.

If what you say is true and you bought your car new it was most likely repaired/ repainted at the dealer prior to sale and if that's the case there's a fair chance it was done by a mobile "lot lizard" who paints in the back parking lot (out in the elements but he might use a canopy tent for shade in the summer) of nearly every new car dealer in the US for literally a fraction of what the dealer body shop charges.

BTW- The next time you trade a vehicle and the dealer tells you he subtracted $500++++ off your trade in value for that simple little door ding know that the typical lot lizard repairs these dings for $50-85/per depending on market and demand.

Kinda explains why many cars in the mall parking lot have a door ding or two but not a single 2,3 or 4 yo used vehicle on that new car dealers used lot has a ding.

FWIW- The best thing Mercedes ever did for US was introduce the US automotive market to base/clear. The Big 3 didn't switch to b/c because b/c was less expensive than the low quality enamels and lacquers they were using at the time.

Edited by Automotive Paint

While silver has been a very popular trend for several years I wouldn't purchase a silver vehicle for a couple of reasons:

1. The high aluminum content required to make silvers is silver's Achilles heal since the aluminum flakes found in silver begin to degrade over time as the result of a chemical reaction. That's why regardless of how well that 3 year old BMW 7 series, which probably has oem paint coatings which are the twice the quality of what the US oems would use, was detailed it still looks nothing like a new silver BMW sitting on the dealer's lot.

2. The high metallic content of silvers make any potential autobody repairs/repainting noticeable regardless of the quality of the repaint. While many silver repair jobs are readily noticeable even the best blend jobs on silver metallic paint jobs are noticeable if one knows what he's looking for. The last thing I want is a color which is more prone than others to tipping off the dealer of being repainted at trade in time.

Just my .02

I used to own a 1981 Ford F100 Stepside in Wimbleton White and that wasn't a bad shade of white. I normally do not like white on a vehicle because it shows the dirt easily. Unless it's a "Panther" though!

What they ought to do is go back into the vault and dig out some of those flashy colors from the 70's!

Royal Blue, Dark Jade Metallic, Dark Cordovan Metallic, Copper, etc...

And start re-introducing color match interior. This cheap and flimsy gray material for interiors is shit!