FWD F-150 Rumor

Turbo77

Can anyone deny or confirm this rumor? So far, I've only heard it from my father-in-law who's been a die hard Blue Oval fan all his life... and I dare not challenge his word unless I know for sure.

He also mentioned AWD was 'coming', but I informed him it's already available on certain models.

TIA!

It would be completely impractical to build a FWD F-150. A big V-8 with a transaxle would not fit. An all new Transaxle would have to be designed to handle the torq involved in towing heavy weight. You would require standard 4 wheel drive handle the loads over the rear wheels. In a full size truck, it would be cheaper and easier to package a RWD Truck.

The confusion likely comes from the next Explorer being unit body. Some people might confuse unit body with being FWD. It is safe to assume that even a unit body explorer will remain RWD. Rumours of replacing the F-150 V-8 with an Eco-Boost V-6 may add to the confusion.

Ford claims that switching the Explorer to unit body will only save something like 150 lbs in weight. The very little weight savings from switching the F-150 to a super heavy duty FWD would be a waste of money that could be spent on other things like Eco-Boost that could improve efficiency a lot more than FWD. The benefit of FWD come when you can down size every aspect of a vehicle. You would not want to down size an F-150.

Yes FWD is very reliable when all you want is a Toyota that you will only want to keep for the first 200K. There have been F-150's that have run for over 1 million miles. The service work required to make a vehicle go a million miles can not be done economically on FWD.

Here's a picture of a FWD F150 built by Dallas Smith Corp.

thumbtrucks.jpg

They convert 4WD trucks to FWD andbuild Axleless® Lo-Floor™ trucks.

buttondeep.jpg[

Interesting, but there doesn't seem to be much value in doing something like that. The one thing that strikes me as a benefit is greater ease in loading stuff since you can just walk right into the bed or push something in versus lifting, but that seems like a small advantage for a comparatively large modification.

Interesting, but there doesn't seem to be much value in doing something like that. The one thing that strikes me as a benefit is greater ease in loading stuff since you can just walk right into the bed or push something in versus lifting, but that seems like a small advantage for a comparatively large modification.

That's probably it's only advantage.

Here's a picture of a FWD F150 built by Dallas Smith Corp.

thumbtrucks.jpg

They convert 4WD trucks to FWD andbuild Axleless® Lo-Floor™ trucks.

buttondeep.jpg[

If you look carefully at the cutaway of this FWD F-150 you will see that it is a 4 wheel drive based off RWD, but with the rear axle removed. I would call it RWD without the rear axle. With the Front drive-line taking 100% of the torq all the time, it would not be reliable. Would be more expensive to fix. Would cost more than a simple RWD.

It would work for a small market that needs a low flat bed, but the parts would have to be upgraded from the stock Ford 4 WD system.

I kind of like the European Ford Transit design for a vans. FWD for light duty. RWD for heavy duty. All based of the same platform. Note the transit largest engine is something like a 2.6 L desiel. If you want a V-8, forget it. Bring the Transit to America with the Eco-Boost.

I've been saying FORD is willing to put the D3s under ANYTHING to sell the damned things. :hysterical:

Ford may be developing a new D3 to be both FWD and RWD. RWD for Explorer, muscle cars, Police and taxis. FWD with optional rear bias 4WD for the rest.

On the RWD version would need its front wheels moved forward for better weight distribution and appearance. Need to have a strengthened Transmission tunel to handle torq going to the rear wheels and longer wheelbase. RWD version must be designed to handle V-8 gas and desiel. Every thing else should shared to save cost. Could work.

Perhaps you are getting confused with the proposed and on again/off again project aimed at making an F-100 off of the D3 platform as a light duty pickup. This is also confused with a similar project to make a cut-down F-150 into a F-100 that has mid size capabilites, can be produced in the same plant as the F-150, and gets better mpg than the F-150 does.

Front Wheel Drive F150????

Chances are zero to none.

Agree. With all the hoopla about "Brand DNA", etc, etc nothing would ruin Ford's reputation as "Americas Truck Company" quicker than FWD pickup

The next Explorer may be unit body with RWD/AWD.

I think you meant "The next Explorer may be unit body with FWD/AWD"