New Falcon Revealed!

Watchdevil

• Replies 141
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not trying to convert anyone's opinion here, I'm really Happy with the job FoA has done

to the Falcon - the engineering modules that will be used with the US V6 and V8 engines

make this a vital learning strategy for future RWD vehicles. Sure the styling is maybe incorrect

but that doesn't mean all the substructuring is wrong for the North American market.

Time will tell.

NEW FALCON: Engineering boss says FG is all-new

http://carpoint.com.au/car-review/2893713.aspx

Ford Australia's top techie says the FG Falcon really is 'all-new' and Ford Australia's biggest program for more than a decade

"With all-new upper architecture and more than 80 per cent of FG underbody parts being new; with major engine upgrades, the addition of two new transmissions and with a comprehensive design and engineering programming spanning more than four years and countless hours of validation in Australia and across the world, this exciting all-new Falcon is the next major step in the evolution of Australia's longest running nameplate..."

These were the words with which Ford Australia Vice President Product Development, Trevor Worthington, kicked off the embargoed technical briefings on the new-generation FG Falcon range almost two weeks ago today. And with them, Ford Australia's top techie made it very clear how 'all-new' the carmaker views its latest and potentially most important large car.

Even since before the 'Orion' Falcon project that became FG was given name, there's been speculation on the extent to which this car would be a carry-over from the BF range.

While key dimensions such as wheelbase and overall length have yet to be confirmed as this content is being written, in the main the millimetre measurements are moot. The FG is, indeed, for all intents and purposes a new car.

Some sub-assemblies like brakes have been carried over, but the car has been significantly re-engineered in almost every area. An all-new aluminium front suspension system, substantially upgraded engines, new gearboxes and significant improvements to the base structure have yielded a car that will be faster, more economical, safer and more refined, says Ford.

"Unlike some in our industry, we don't intend to use the amount of our total investment as a marketing tagline," Worthington said, in a thinly veiled dig at Holden's 'Billion Dollar Baby' VE Commodore.

"However, I can tell you that FG Falcon is our largest fully-integrated design and engineering Falcon story since the introduction of AU Falcon in 1998," Worthington said.

When quizzed on the spend on the FG in reference to the $500m AU program, Worthington was quick to point out that it was the scope of the FG development that prompted his comments -- not necessarily the cost of the program

Worthington would not confirm the coast of the FG program, saying: "We have found ways over the last ten years to spend our money significantly more efficiently to deliver a better outcome. If you look at the total magnitude of the change (from BA/BF to FG), my view is this is as big as AU."

According to Worthington Ford Australia enlisted the assistance of a diverse range of partners within the Ford world. These included Volvo (the FG's new inset door system) and Ford of Europe which builds the new five-speed automatic transmission that will be used on lower-spec FG models.

That said, the FG is very much the work of the local team.

Significant effort has been expended on improving the quality and refinement of the car -- a process that started at design stage, says the engineering boss. For example, the new car features 'modern' construction techniques such as single-piece body sides -- a component which required the company to invest in a multi- million dollar upgrade of its stamping stamping plant at Geelong.

"So much of the customer's expectation is around quality. There's a whole story around designing [the FG Falcon] for robustness, manufacturing for robustness and understanding the quality processes the manufacturing system [of FG Flacon] has been designed to deliver," explained Worthington.

"It isn't very sexy but it's really, really important

and it's what some of our Japanese competitors have been doing for years."

Watch the FG Falcon assembly animation here

FG Falcon (C/V) (Taurus)

Length: 195 (212) (200.7)

Width: 73.5 (77.3) (74.5)

Height: 57.2 (58.3) (60.4)

Wheelbase: 111.7 (114.6) (112.9)

Track Front: 62.3 (62.8) (64.6)

Track Rear: 62.9 (65.6) (65)

Leg Room Front: 42.7 (41.6) (41.2)

Leg Room Rear: 39 (38) (41.9)

Shoulder Room Front: 60 (60.6) (57.8)

Shoulder Room Rear: 59.8 (60) (57.6)

Head Room Front: 39.8 (39.5) (39.4)

Head Room Rear: 39 (37.8) (38.6)

Hip Room Front: 58.5 (57.4) (53.7)

Hip Room Rear: 57.2 (56.1) (53.6)

Trunk Size: 19 Cu ft (21 Cu ft) (21.5 Cu ft)

Edited by jpd80

Hey jpd80 . . .

Thanks for the updates. Any word on when we might see the new Falcon Aussie V8 supercar? I saw the new SBR livery, but haven't seen any new Falcon Supercar photos.

Actually, Clipsal 500 is on in Adelaide this coming weekend.

Teams are well advanced with FG Falcon Supercars, not sure they can race until on sale date in April.

I'm hoping Ford brings the release forward but, might pay tocheck out v8supercars.com.au as the usually have regular news updates.

As a Guest of Marcus Ambrose - Gold Coast Holiday

Edited by jpd80

Actually, Clipsal 500 is on in Adelaide this coming weekend.

Teams are well advanced with FG Falcon Supercars, not sure they can race until on sale date in April.

I'm hoping Ford brings the release forward but, might pay tocheck out v8supercars.com.au as the usually have regular news updates.

As a Guest of Marcus Ambrose - Gold Coast Holiday

Thanks! I love watching Jr. in a Supercar. That video is great!

Fair enough comment and maybe Ford wanted a lot to happen under the skin but keep the

outer a little bland for wider appeal, you can thank those bulk sales of Camry fridges for that.

2010 = V6, V8 & Ecoboost,

Would love to see US do something with that engineering - maybe a toned down Interceptor?

BORG

Why do you hate our Aussie Fords so much?

We have no LWB Ford now,the new Falcon killed off our Fairlane/LTD,

I hope now dopey Osborne can now get me a Crown Vic or a Towncar

81 Fairlane

88 Fairlane

1980 Thunderbird silver Ann(imported)

81 Commmodore

Daily driver-98 Cherokee LTD

Big talk is use of Territory virtual pivot Front Suspension for brilliant steering response.

Also saves 55 lb (22 Kg) over Double Wishbone predecessor

Thanks for posting.

So, on the front suspension, it looks like the upper arm is virtually identical to a normal SLA, but the lower arm takes off backward from the front subframe? I'm not enough of an expert to understand the kinematics and why this is good, so if there are any more technical articles, could you please do your normal good job of posting? I'm still trying to sort out why the suspension is so much lighter. Are the new arms alloy?

Overall the car is a nice redo with intelligent use of carryover parts and FoA's usual skill of putting the limited budget where the changes will be noticed the most. As well as aligning manufacturing process and, ultimately, powertrains. What some people don't realize is when you make changes like this, you can gradually merge platforms with a much smaller "big bang" major worldwide platform effort later.

Next step will be so see if the front and rear suspensions will work for Mustang, work which I'm sure is going on as we speak.

QUOTE(jpd80 @ Feb 17 2008, 12:48 AM)

Big talk is use of Territory virtual pivot Front Suspension for brilliant steering response.

Also saves 55 lb (22 Kg) over Double Wishbone predecessor

Thanks for posting.

So, on the front suspension, it looks like the upper arm is virtually identical to a normal SLA, but the lower arm takes off backward from the front subframe? I'm not enough of an expert to understand the kinematics and why this is good, so if there are any more technical articles, could you please do your normal good job of posting? I'm still trying to sort out why the suspension is so much lighter. Are the new arms alloy?

Overall the car is a nice redo with intelligent use of carryover parts and FoA's usual skill of putting the limited budget where the changes will be noticed the most. As well as aligning manufacturing process and, ultimately, powertrains. What some people don't realize is when you make changes like this, you can gradually merge platforms with a much smaller "big bang" major worldwide platform effort later.

Next step will be so see if the front and rear suspensions will work for Mustang, work which I'm sure is going on as we speak.

Looking at the Picture the new suspension is a Double wishbone with a virtual pivot section for the lower half. I did not think the Territory had Double wishbone. Can any one confirm what the Terriory has. Double wishbone give the best geometry but add weight, cost, and uses up more space. Using of aluminum cuts weight but adds more cost. With RWD space likely is not an issue.

Lots of nice improvements to it, but for some reason the styling still seems to be stuck in the 1990's IMO, even though the front clip is reminiscent of the Kinetic design coming from FoE. Though I do dig the Super Pursuit front end clip, but I can see how some people can see it as over done. The interior is very solid also.

But like as posted before, the important thing is that this is just a step in getting all the ducks lined up Across the board from FNA, FoE and FoA

Its interesting to see some of the comments about the styling. Take into account, these are mostly from NA Ford supporters who have dealt with years of criticism regarding "safe" styling. Not everyone is looking for the next style leader.

The car looks very nice and the interior is definitely a plus.

It would be great if Ford NA brought over/or produced something to the tune of the Ranchero-style model being offered. GM is reported to be doing the same thing with the G8 derivative.

I see on other car boards showing this car that people are resorting to the same "Ford NA doesn't like us - they produce better cars elsewhere" criticism. The average consumer has no idea what it takes to produce a car nor the amount of time it takes to make a change.

I think it is a little dull and what not I've come to expect from the Falcon in terms of styling.

It would fit right in in NA it is bland enough that it would not cuase any one to look twice at on the show room floor. Unlike previous Falcons.

But that is just my opinion for what it is worth.

Matthew

Hmmm...lets see:

This car has style, power, IRS, no goofy three bar grill, no silly FWD, etc. As I see it...it is the polar opposite of Ford NA.

Please excuse Borg.

His definition of "style" is the '96 Taurus.

1999%20Ford%20Taurus.jpg

Of course the Falcon is "missing something" for him to like it - mediocrity.