Speaking of '09 Models

fusion0206

I didn't realize this until just now, but the New York auto show starts in about a month. Anyone out there in BOF-land know if Ford will bring the updated CD3 triplets to the Big Apple?

I certainly hope so. We have a sketch of what the exterior will look like, but not a clue on the interior...

We do NOT KNOW, but we do KNOW that they will be there. :shades: At NAIAS Mark said that Ford will have six MAJOR launches for 2009: F-150, Flex, MKS....So the Fusion, Milan, and MKZ fit the bill. The Transit, and special Mustangs and Edges do not count. I wonder if the wait on the MKZ signals that it will reveal the final HP number for the 3.7V6, otherwise why wait since it could have been introduced in Chicago without revealing too much on the Fusion and Milan? I also would not be surprised if Ford introduced a concept at this years NY show.

As for the 2009 update...

-New Front and rear ends

-new rear seat backs with headrests

-hybrid option

-new base 2.5I4 making 170-180hp.

-mostly if not all new interior (at least dash)

-using either the Escape/Focus or Flex/F-150 buttons

-probably the 3.5 V6 option to replace the 3.0

-probably at least one ecoboost engine

-one might be the rumored 1.8I4 making 200hp

-another option might be an EcoBoost version of the 2.0I4 making 275hp.

-capless fuel system

-maybe the 2nd gen keyless entry pad?

-maybe some other of the numerous Ford gadgets introduced lately?

Can't wait for NY, we have about a month to go!

As for the 2009 update...

-New Front and rear ends

-new rear seat backs with headrests

-hybrid option

-new base 2.5I4 making 170-180hp.

-mostly if not all new interior (at least dash)

-using either the Escape/Focus or Flex/F-150 buttons

-probably the 3.5 V6 option to replace the 3.0

-probably at least one ecoboost engine

-one might be the rumored 1.8I4 making 200hp

-another option might be an EcoBoost version of the 2.0I4 making 275hp.

-capless fuel system

-maybe the 2nd gen keyless entry pad?

-maybe some other of the numerous Ford gadgets introduced lately?

Can't wait for NY, we have about a month to go!

Geez, people, we've been over this before. Just the 2.5 na, the PIP 3.0, and the hybrid for '09. All other powertrain options will be at least another model year away.

...I hate to rain on the parade, but you know how Ford powertrain roll-outs go. We have to work on them for 20 years before they get into the cycle plan.

Swizco

I didn't realize this until just now, but the New York auto show starts in about a month. Anyone out there in BOF-land know if Ford will bring the updated CD3 triplets to the Big Apple?

I certainly hope so. We have a sketch of what the exterior will look like, but not a clue on the interior...

Ford: Mid-sized model year for mid-sized cars

Amy Wilson

Automotive News

February 18, 2008 - 12:01 am ET

DETROIT — Ford Motor Co.'s trio of mid-sized cars will have an abbreviated 2009 model year.

With reskinned versions just around the corner, the 2009 Ford Fusion, Mercury Milan and Lincoln MKZ will be in production for about six months beginning in June.

The 2010 models will go into production "very late this year" and go on sale in early 2009, Ford Americas President Mark Fields said.

The updated sedans were once expected to go on sale this fall as 2009 models. Although the on-sale date has slipped to next year, Ford executives still count the trio as big launches for 2008. The 2010 Fusion and Milan will get hybrid versions for the first time.

The Fusion, Milan and Zephyr, the predecessor to the MKZ, went on sale in the fall of 2005 as 2006 models. U.S. sales for the trio were 221,159 in 2007, up 4.6 percent from 2006. The sedans are assembled at Ford's plant in Hermosillo, Mexico.

Geez, people, we've been over this before. Just the 2.5 na, the PIP 3.0, and the hybrid for '09. All other powertrain options will be at least another model year away.

...I hate to rain on the parade, but you know how Ford powertrain roll-outs go. We have to work on them for 20 years before they get into the cycle plan.

Awww :( that's sad.

The fusion has been getting ripped for it's sub-par powertrains by everyone who tests it, if the 2010 Fusion comes out with the same powertrains with 5 more horsepower than they will continue to get named worst in class. Well, maybe it'll still beat out the Avenger.. :banghead:

I still don't think Ford has enough production capacity to get the 3.5 V6 into the Fusion. I have heard that the 3.5 will be coming to the 2010 Milan when ordered with V6, but the Fusion V6 will be PIP 3.0. I would assume about 240hp since the Fusion V6 has dual exhaust. Hopefully Ford will get out a Fusion ST model with the 3.5 soon after launch. Looks to me like new 2.5 I4 at launch, 3.0 PIP for Fusion with V6, and 3.5 for Milan V6. I would imagine soon after Fusion will be getting one or more Ecoboost engines also. And the 2010 MKZ gets the 3.7 V6. So 3.0 PIP for Fusion, 3.5 for Milan, and 3.7 for MKZ. Makes sense to me. 240hp, 265hp, and 270hp for most expensive Lincoln.

The fusion has been getting ripped for it's sub-par powertrains by everyone who tests it, if the 2010 Fusion comes out with the same powertrains with 5 more horsepower than they will continue to get named worst in class. Well, maybe it'll still beat out the Avenger.. :banghead:

Powertrain actions releasing this December/January:

New PIP 3.0 - 20-30hp increase over current model

New 2.5L I4 - 10hp increase, 15 ft-lbs torque increase

New 6 Auto with the I4 (currently a 5 speed...)

New 6 Manual with the I4 (currently a 5 speed)

Also, these new powertrains will come with significantly more soundpackage, making the cars quieter and more refined.

3.5L will be available a bit after launch in the Fusion ST or Sport (not sure what they're calling it yet). Also a little further out is the Ecoboost 2.5L.

Swizco

I still don't think Ford has enough production capacity to get the 3.5 V6 into the Fusion. I have heard that the 3.5 will be coming to the 2010 Milan when ordered with V6, but the Fusion V6 will be PIP 3.0. I would assume about 240hp since the Fusion V6 has dual exhaust. Hopefully Ford will get out a Fusion ST model with the 3.5 soon after launch. Looks to me like new 2.5 I4 at launch, 3.0 PIP for Fusion with V6, and 3.5 for Milan V6. I would imagine soon after Fusion will be getting one or more Ecoboost engines also. And the 2010 MKZ gets the 3.7 V6. So 3.0 PIP for Fusion, 3.5 for Milan, and 3.7 for MKZ. Makes sense to me. 240hp, 265hp, and 270hp for most expensive Lincoln.

That's pretty dumb if the Milan ges the big engine but the Fusion doesn't. The Fusion is the boy-racer of the two machines.

Also, these new powertrains will come with significantly more soundpackage, making the cars quieter and more refined.

3.5L will be available a bit after launch in the Fusion ST or Sport (not sure what they're calling it yet). Also a little further out is the Ecoboost 2.5L.

Swizco

So Ford's "sport" model will just be matching the competitions pedestrian V6 models? That just doesn't sound smart, and by then shouldn't production of the 3.5 be ramped up enough so that there are plenty of em to go around?

So Ford's "sport" model will just be matching the competitions pedestrian V6 models? That just doesn't sound smart, and by then shouldn't production of the 3.5 be ramped up enough so that there are plenty of em to go around?

Well keep in mind that the 3L PIP got a reprive because it got better MPG then the 3.5L did and its also mentioned in the UAW contract, so I'll assume its going to be around for a bit.

Keep in mind, how many people buy a mid-sized car for Performance? A 3.5L with a stick in a Fusion would make a nice sporty model, but I know it won't satifity the people around here who want a 300+ HP car that eats pavement...

The Fusion will be available in many flavors, from economy (2.5L and Hybrid), to 'volume' (240hp V6), to powerful (3.5L).

...Strange that you seem to think this is somehow a bad thing.

Swizco

Swizco

where or should i say when do we get eco boost models?

The Fusion will be available in many flavors, from economy (2.5L and Hybrid), to 'volume' (240hp V6), to powerful (3.5L).

Swizco

With gas at $3.00+ the 2.5L is going to become more the volume unit. with ~170hp and a 6 speed auto it will have plenty of pep. I've noticed around Detroit that most of the older '06 Fusions are V6 (no top antenna) where the '07 and '08 seem to have a lot more 2.3L out there. Even our local dealer used to have a 50/50 mix, and now it seems it is probably 33% V6 and 66% the four.

Plus the hybrid will add to the 4 numbers, I wonder if it got delayed so ford could do a huge push next year with them.

Also is Ford with their hybrid credits, they might have postponed with a Jan 1st 2009 launch date to make sure they get a full 6 months out of the larger credit buyers would get.

With gas at $3.00+ the 2.5L is going to become more the volume unit. with ~170hp and a 6 speed auto it will have plenty of pep. I've noticed around Detroit that most of the older '06 Fusions are V6 (no top antenna) where the '07 and '08 seem to have a lot more 2.3L out there. Even our local dealer used to have a 50/50 mix, and now it seems it is probably 33% V6 and 66% the four.

Plus the hybrid will add to the 4 numbers, I wonder if it got delayed so ford could do a huge push next year with them.

Also is Ford with their hybrid credits, they might have postponed with a Jan 1st 2009 launch date to make sure they get a full 6 months out of the larger credit buyers would get.

The hybrid was delayed until the generation 2 system was ready. According to my inside info and also what was reported here, the CD3 redesign was first pushed back to later next year but then was fastracked. I don't think the credits had anything to do with it.

Swizco

It's a bad thing when their "powerful" V6 is on par with other manufacturer's "volume" V6. Not because it's not powerful enough - I'm sure it is - but because it's not as powerful as everyone else. Survival of the Fittest, man - not Survival of the Fit.

It's a bad thing when their "powerful" V6 is on par with other manufacturer's "volume" V6. Not because it's not powerful enough - I'm sure it is - but because it's not as powerful as everyone else. Survival of the Fittest, man - not Survival of the Fit.

The thing is that they only offer a I4 and one V6 in the Japanese mid-sized cars...I'm sure the 3L will go away eventually, its kind of stupid to offer two V6 engines in this segment anyways

The thing is that they only offer a I4 and one V6 in the Japanese mid-sized cars...I'm sure the 3L will go away eventually, its kind of stupid to offer two V6 engines in this segment anyways

...Too few powertrain options, you guys complain. Too many, you complain.

Welcome to BON.

Swizco

...Too few powertrain options, you guys complain. Too many, you complain.

Welcome to BON.

Swizco

I'm not complaning, but why offer 2 different V6 engines when the top end V6 is better product all around? I don't think an extra MPG or two is a real earth shaker in the grand scheme of things. If anything it makes the car more expesive produce since it has 3 totally different engines (with more coming in the future) in the same car.

I'm not complaning, but why offer 2 different V6 engines when the top end V6 is better product all around? I don't think an extra MPG or two is a real earth shaker in the grand scheme of things. If anything it makes the car more expesive produce since it has 3 totally different engines (with more coming in the future) in the same car.

I doubt putting a 3.0 and 3.5 into the Fusion would increase costs on any level. Would probably be cheaper, as the 3.0 itself is probably cheaper to build. It all comes down to CAPACITY. Ford can't build enough 3.5's yet to satisfy the need. I don't see it being so complicated to figure out.