2010-ford-4-4-liter-diesel-engine-scooped

RangerM

Wiz....are you sure? If the story and pictures are from 2008, there would be no way Ford would have let the then unrevealed 2009 F150 be caught without any camo.....

The '09 F150 was unveiled in Detroit in January '08. The date on the article is 'Jul 18, 2008 3:15 PM'...top right of the page.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well..I read a bunch of the posts...but...I skipped to the end.LOL!

As most know on here, I drive a 4 door f-350 with a 7.3 diesel. (pre turbo, non Powerstrole)

My honest opinion on this whole thing is, I LOVE my diesel! There is only 1 way I will buy a newer truck.(which would also be a diesel) And that would be to build a 4 door 1/2ton that is rated a 10,000lb's and have a small diesel in it. I don't need 700hp and a gazillion pounds of torque. I would prefer 175-275hp and 325-425lb's of torque, with a 6 speed manual and I could haul anything I ever wanted to.

The "mine is bigger than yours" thing is a little rediculous. My old 7.3 has 175hp and 320lb's and it is plenty. Yes when I'm towing the racecar with the camper in the back and go up a long hill, I floor it to stay at 65mph. Well..that is the biggest load, so I should be wide open. If I get to the biggest load point and only use 1/2 throttle, then obviously I have more power than I need. (yes I would like more reserve hp but can live without it)

If I can't get a little diesel in a half ton that will pull my toys, then I'll stick with my old beast until I get the next one ton diesel...in the far future, the old girl only has 400,000km's on her yet.LOL

So, my vote, BUILD THE HALF TON DIESEL, FORD...I WILL BUY ONE!!

My honest opinion on this whole thing is, I LOVE my diesel! There is only 1 way I will buy a newer truck.(which would also be a diesel) And that would be to build a 4 door 1/2ton that is rated a 10,000lb's and have a small diesel in it. I don't need 700hp and a gazillion pounds of torque. I would prefer 175-275hp and 325-425lb's of torque, with a 6 speed manual and I could haul anything I ever wanted to.

So right, even the baby 3.6 V8 diesel still has 268 hp and 472 lb ft of torque.

That sounds a bit like the power figures of the original 6.8 V10 gas engine.

• 2 weeks later...

Also....it seems to me a 4.4 diesel is too large and thirsty for what most folks plan to do with their F150. Most just want an economical F150 for light duty stuff. A 3.0 diesel would be fine with me. It would still tow a 5000 lb boat. Why this obsession with all this power, when you have gears you can use. I remember all the work the old 300 inline sixes did, towing back hoes, bob cats, and other stuff. We never complained about lack of power with those crude engines. They got the job done. It's time we started thinking about how small an engine can be to do a job.

The Super Duty is still out there for real truck needs....hauling your 5th wheel to Alaska, etc.

Edited by Ralph Greene

2010-ford-4-4-liter-diesel-engine-scooped

Not sure how excited I am about this with diesel $0.70 more tha gas now, but I'm sure it'll pull tree stumps.

If Ford offers the 4.4L diesel when I am ready to buy a new F150 which will be ~2013 I'll buy one. By that I mean something with ~400lb torque and gets ~25 mpg which seems within the realm of possibility. If I'm going to pay more for the

eco-boost V-6 vs a diesel I'd just as well get the diesel.

It'll be hard to not get the upcoming 5.0L or the 6.2L and depending on their numbers perhaps I'll opt for them. The 5.0L is something of a new technological break through for mass produced V-8 engines and if it's as good as I'm hearing it'll be hard to resist.

... If I'm going to pay more for the eco-boost V-6 vs a diesel I'd just as well get the diesel.

The general consensus is Ecoboost is cheaper to build than a diesel and much easier to pass emissions.

I'm not ruling out a 4.4 diesel. I'm just saying the diesel will be more expensive than Ecoboost and might be a limited production in the F150, if at all.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
The 4.4-litre diesel V8 will come from Fords plant in Chihuahua in a few months. Will the export to LandRover UK be a start of production for the US-market as well? The proper machining-equipment is installed.

Don't count your chickens.

"Reliable sources" from Dearborn tell me there are still no plans to put the 4.4L in ANYTHING with a Ford label on the front !

• 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I really don't understand why car companies spend millions and millions of dollars developing technologies like the 4.4L and then scrap it in the late stages of testing. The 4.4L Diesel or another small diesel V8 (or V6) seems like it could still be a really good idea.

I really don't understand why car companies spend millions and millions of dollars developing technologies like the 4.4L and then scrap it in the late stages of testing. The 4.4L Diesel or another small diesel V8 (or V6) seems like it could still be a really good idea.

I agree, but it isn't a total loss as it is going to Land Rover (and I imagine that was part of the plan all along).

I still think we'll see it in Ford / Lincoln products in 2-4 years.

I really don't understand why car companies spend millions and millions of dollars developing technologies like the 4.4L and then scrap it in the late stages of testing.

Well, first of all, it was not "scrapped". It was moved to the back burner and then to the front when the deal with Land Rover was completed.

There are a couple of reasons why the 4.4L moved to the back burner

1. Lack of emission/calibration/packaging engineers. Management thought, incorrectly, that the engineers could develop 2 engines with the head count they normally received to do one (probably even less). They eventually realized they were wrong.
  2. The price of diesel fuel jumped (and has never returned to it what it should be priced at) while at the same time diesel emission control hurt their fuel economy inspite of using urea after-treatment. Diesel was no longer a "good deal" for people who drove a lot of miles each year.
  3. The marketeers did not want to "confuse" the public with too many engine choices on the F150/Excursion/Navigator. There are will be 3 new engine choices for 2011MY, EcoBoost V6 (F150 only ?), 5.0L and the 6.2L. Why offer a diesel ?

Edited by theoldwizard

Well, first of all, it was not "scrapped". It was moved to the back burner and then to the front when the deal with Land Rover was completed.

There are a couple of reasons why the 4.4L moved to the back burner

1. Lack of emission/calibration/packaging engineers. Management thought, incorrectly, that the engineers could develop 2 engines with the head count they normally received to do one (probably even less). They eventually realized they were wrong.
  2. The price of diesel fuel jumped (and has never returned to it what it should be priced at) while at the same time diesel emission control hurt their fuel economy inspite of using urea after-treatment. Diesel was no longer a "good deal" for people who drove a lot of miles each year.
  3. The marketeers did not want to "confuse" the public with too many engine choices on the F150/Excursion/Navigator. There are will be 3 new engine choices for 2011MY, EcoBoost V6 (F150 only ?), 5.0L and the 6.2L. Why offer a diesel ?

Ok. I see your point. I just expected to see the 4.4 available by now since its been being talked about for 4 or 5 years.

That doesn't mean that the diesel will never be used, just that Ecoboost

and conventional V8 gas engines are a better choice in F150 for now.

What happens if oil prices or supply becomes affected is anyone's guess....

Edited by jpd80

• 2 weeks later...

Ok. I see your point. I just expected to see the 4.4 available by now since its been being talked about for 4 or 5 years.

by the sounds of it, it wouldn't take much to get it ready for production should Ford choose to introduce it.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Wait and see. The Chihuahua plant that is producing them are now preparing for a annual production of 400.000 4.4-litre diesels anually.........More than 10 times the volumes that Land Rover needs.

-----------------

From AWK

Ford has now confirmed that its Chihuahua Engine Plant (CEP) in Mexico will produce over 750,000 diesel engines a year.

According to plant manager, Enrique Araiza, CEP's new Plant 11 facility has capacity to assemble 400,000 of Ford's 4.4-litre V8 diesel engines a year, as well as 200,000 upa of the 6.7-litre V8 diesel.

Both engines are completely new and make use of compacted graphite iron (CGI) cylinder blocks.

Chihuahua Plant

Araiza forecast that production capacity for the 6.7-litre unit will be expanded to 380,000 upa, bringing total diesel engine capacity at the plant to over 750,000 upa

I have been waiting for 10 years, build it already!

• 1 month later...

All I can say is that there is more to the half-ton diesel non existence than we know. Surely the manufacturers know that they would sell like hotcakes! I am just hoping that they don't come out for a few more years, so that the lease on my ecoboost will be up.