Jalopnik: No Flex Variant for Lincoln

agreed...one question i do have though...is after seeing how great the Flex's interior is...what can they do to move it further upscale?

not just design, but the electronic toys too.

for example, autoheadlights... Flex will have them, but the Lincoln could have a variable timed autolight

power telescoping steering wheels, etc

I think the Jalopnik boys are failing to do their research again.

They apparently got the word from J Mays:

While other journalists were busy munching on mozzarella and delicious turkey-n-cranberry baguettes, we were asking the hard-hitting questions designed to break through Mays' built Ford tough PR shell and get to the juicy nuggets of upcoming product knowledge he had inside. We used sly questions like "So J, will Mercury and Lincoln get a Flex to call their own?"

Sorry Lincoln, according to J, despite rumors — and concepts to the contrary — you won't be getting a chance to go to the Flextreme. Neither will Mercury.

They apparently got the word from J Mays:

All in how you interpret it my friend. Notice he did not dispel any rumors of a new Lincoln crossover, he simply mentioned that we would not get a Flex based Lincoln. Reflecting back to the MKT concept and reading through a few older press releases it isn't really mentioned anywhere that the MKT was to be based off of the Flex.

My guess is that we will receive a D3 (or is it D4 now) based CUV in addition to the CD3 based MKX

Considering the MKT looked nothing at all like the Flex, I don't put much into this article. Besides, others here have already said they have confirmed production of the MKT for Oakville already.

CAW's leader Buzz Hargrove just reiterated that Ford is introducing another vehicle into Oakville next year. MKT is only vehicle it could be. I really don't think J Mays is in the loop anymore. He has been pushed aside. I doubt if Ford will let him anywhere near 2010 Taurus. None of his designs have been well received.

CAW's leader Buzz Hargrove just reiterated that Ford is introducing another vehicle into Oakville next year. MKT is only vehicle it could be. I really don't think J Mays is in the loop anymore. He has been pushed aside. I doubt if Ford will let him anywhere near 2010 Taurus. None of his designs have been well received.

let us not forget Mullalys distempt for concept cars being produced for NO apparent reason or not being anywhere near feasible....

If the MKT is Flex based, maybe the platform has been modified enough in dimensions, appearance and performance that Ford won't call it a Flex variant. Lexus and Audi don't refer to their cars as variants of another model, do they?

All in how you interpret it my friend. Notice he did not dispel any rumors of a new Lincoln crossover, he simply mentioned that we would not get a Flex based Lincoln. Reflecting back to the MKT concept and reading through a few older press releases it isn't really mentioned anywhere that the MKT was to be based off of the Flex.

My guess is that we will receive a D3 (or is it D4 now) based CUV in addition to the CD3 based MKX

The more I read the article, the less they really say - I hate that!

The width of the vehicle says to me MKT is based on the CUV D3 rather than D3 Sedan chassis.

I do like the MKT and a similarly wider MKS would be a brilliant move too - both would do well in Europe and Asia.

Ford could have then kept D3 exclusive and achieved a similar end for the Taurus with the CD3 CX-9 platform, putting Fusion and Taurus on one "platform grouping" but probably of little consequence now.

Edited by jpd80