Next Mustang Will LOOK Smaller

ANTAUS

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really? I feel just the opposite...The Challenger looked heavy to me...Although that might be psychological because I grew up next door to a rusty 73 challenger...And the new one seemed so huge compared to it.

still a little porky due to all the regs...regardless though I cannot get over how FAT the camaro LOOKS, at leat the Challenger hides its weight stylistically well.........

Mustang V6 weights less than a BMW 3-Series...

Ought to, seeing as how much simpler it is. Fact is the Stang is as light as can get at this price on this platform. Until some(lots?) next gen tech is used on a new think platform, the car will only get heavier.

Sign of the times. Saftey, low cost materials, and engineering choices are all making decisions for Ford.

On the other hand, keeping the increase down will probably add cost. Which is the Stangs one clear market advantage. I suspect competition will put some heavy pressure on that restyle.

That doesnt mean its not a couple hundred pounds more than it should be....

Short of shrinking the Mustang down to the size of a Focus, where is all of this weight savings going to come from? Everyone claims how great the Fox body Mustangs are, but they also forget about the flexible flyer chassis that needed sub frame connectors put in to make the wet noodle frame worth damn in the turns. Then add in all the airbags/Sync/AC etc and thats where we are at. Everyone complains how much of a porker the Mustang is but its nearly 500lbs lighter then the Challenger and most likely 300-400 lbs less the upcoming Camro.

If anything, Ford should be commended for keeping the Mustang's weight at a pretty resonable level...hell if you want to talk about a porker, go check out the GTI...that fucker weighs in at 3200 lbs for a 3 door hatchback!

I guess some people will find a reason to bitch about something ona given car...

Goals that should be set for the new Mustang:

1) Fresh style

2) Improve NVH

3) Independent Rear Suspension

4) Modern, sophisticated, efficient powertrains-- Dual VVT + DI, anyone?

5) More powertrain choice-- Turbo 2.5L i-4, 3.7L V6, 3.5L EcoBoost (Shelby GT-350, anyone?), and an all-aluminum DOHC 5.0L V8. A Hybrid (2.5L + electric) should probably be looked-into, especially if trying to cater to the Left Coast. A BOSS family V8 should be the range-topper.

6) No increase in weight-- a slight decrease would be even better, especially if we want the car to be more fuel-efficient.

Back on topic....the Current mustang can look bloated from some angles...but hey I still like the way it looks so much I bought one ;)

i've seen the 2010 shelby in my plant with out all the cladding, and have to say it is super bad ass! i think most people will be much happier with the updated interior. some of the guys in the plant have said they don't care for the rear end but, i love it. i think it's a stellar update! the front end is sweet! the car is different from what i saw on the cover of c&d. keep the faith people! it's a very nice car!

Edited by el norte

Weight will be 3550 to 2650 for the GT when the 5.0 comes in...thats been covered before. And for the love of god, no more mention of a hybrid or dam diesel in the Mustang!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Why not? The Mustang is a Secretaries car. Most sold are V6 and they should be looking at everything and a 35+MPG would sell, plus a hybrid Mustang would be great P.R. and show that Ford is adapting to the future. A 2.5L Hybrid would be an excellent mileage option, and do a EB 4 and tune it for a performance mode and you would get get some pretty good numbers. If the Mustang is ever sold in Europe it must have a Diesel, though now with LR/Jag gone who kept the plans for the V6 and V8 diesels? Also where is a 6-speed for the mustang (Auto and Manual) You'd get a mile or two more per gallon on the highway with a tall 6th gear.

I agree. I've seen pics of the 2010. Think 1968 for front end. Rear is a little "boxier" with a more pronounced "haunch" from the rear quarter to the trunk. It's a nice visual update. The interior is even better.

i've seen the 2010 shelby with out all the cladding, and have to say it is super bad ass! i think most people will be much happier with the updated interior. some of the guys in the plant have said they don't care for the rear end but, i love it. i think it's a stellar update! the front end is sweet! the car is different from what i saw on the cover of c&d. keep the faith people! it's a very nice car!

I agree. I've seen pics of the 2010. Think 1968 for front end. Rear is a little "boxier" with a more pronounced "haunch" from the rear quarter to the trunk. It's a nice visual update. The interior is even better.

I'm concerned about the new bent belt-line, it has a 'bulging' rear quarter panel which (IMO), does not make it look trimmer. Horbury did this sort of thing with the MKS design, not so sure I like this softer look.

Edited by BORG

Why not? The Mustang is a Secretaries car. Most sold are V6 and they should be looking at everything and a 35+MPG would sell

You'd be wrong, the 2005+ Mustangs have had a upwards of 40-50% take on the V8 Models over the V6. I'm sure that will change now with the way gas prices are, but getting 21 or so MPG out of a 300 HP V8 really isn't that bad!

Personally I think stupid rise in gas prices are making people panic right now...Even though gas has gone up nearly 2 bucks a gallon from Feb of 2007 (which I paid 1.99 for regular one time) its only costing me about $15 more a tankful to fill my car up....yeah it adds up, but its not taking out hundreds of dollars out of my paychecks every month either. I drive less and try to make all my trips in one shot instead of going out mulitple times and I'm trying to car pool at work too.

My next car I'll worry about getting a better car that gets better MPG, but I'll enjoy my Mustang till it gets regulated to weekend driver only in about 3-4 years

Edited by silvrsvt

I'm concerned about the new bent belt-line, it has a 'bulging' rear quarter panel which (IMO), does not make it look trimmer. Horbury did this sort of thing with the MKS design, not so sure I like this softer look.

The new mustang is getting hips or bulging rear quater panels....I'm sure that the car will have a "pinched" look to it like this:

1968Mustang-c.jpg

Why not? The Mustang is a Secretaries car. Most sold are V6 and they should be looking at everything and a 35+MPG would sell, plus a hybrid Mustang would be great P.R. and show that Ford is adapting to the future. A 2.5L Hybrid would be an excellent mileage option, and do a EB 4 and tune it for a performance mode and you would get get some pretty good numbers. If the Mustang is ever sold in Europe it must have a Diesel, though now with LR/Jag gone who kept the plans for the V6 and V8 diesels? Also where is a 6-speed for the mustang (Auto and Manual) You'd get a mile or two more per gallon on the highway with a tall 6th gear.

The Mustang is a Pony Car...NOT a secretary's car. There is nothing Pony about a hybrid Mustang or a diesel. Even 40 years ago the 6 cyl and barrel small blocks had a nimble feel to them. You think the car is heavy now...just add the hybrid system or diesel powertrain. Part of the appeal to the Euro crowd would be gasoline...status. If they don't like it and want a diesel...TS to them. A EcoBoost model could be appealing, but never a hybrid or diesel.

Overall, the Challenger is 10.1 inches longer and 1.8 inches wider than the 2008 Mustang. The dimensions of the 2010 Chevrolet Camaro have not been released, but the Camaro concept is 1.4 inches shorter and 5.7 inches wider than the 2008 Mustang

Good move, Mr. Horbury.

That's not saying much really. The 3-series isn't exactly the tiny little nimble machine it was several years ago.

That's where the new 1 series comes into play: to fill the gap vacated by the ever growing 3.

Back to Mustang....from spy shots I've seen, I like what I'm seeing so far.

"So in a few years, should we expect a BMW .333333333-Series to replace the 1-series that will have since grown to the size of the current 3-series?"

Assuming they keep selling all of both they can build and continuing to be one of the if not the most profitable car makers....

YES.

Must be very good to know that people like pretty much everything you are doing, (bangle 7 series aside). :fan:

Edited by JETSOLVER