Motortrend Review MKS

Bigbuck15

This coming from a guy who can't spell and (really dosen't) sell cars all day. :hysterical:

dosen't?????????????? its doesn't Dough boy.........times are dead slow...absolutely NO_ONE is coming in to buy Crown vics dammit..........

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Before I read, I'm going on record to say "I'm scared of what they might say, since they are Motor Trend."

~~~~~~~

After reading... aside from the typos, I thought it was a decent review. It seems that more and more reviewers are taking the car for what it is instead of lamenting the fact that it doesn't drive like an M5.

Looking at the comments on the Motor Trend review there is a claim that the "Lexus GS V6 - 303hp, 274torque, 19/27 EPA mpg. "

Is that correct? That seems to be quite an advantage for the Lexus....or are we saying the MKS is in a bigger/different class?

Looking at the comments on the Motor Trend review there is a claim that the "Lexus GS V6 - 303hp, 274torque, 19/27 EPA mpg. "

Is that correct? That seems to be quite an advantage for the Lexus....or are we saying the MKS is in a bigger/different class?

18/25 MPG in AWD guise... 19/27 does sound right for just RWD.

But it also comes with a $7K seafare... smaller interior dimensions everywhere except for front legroom (1.6 inches)... and a requirement for premium gas.

nope a 25k Focus from mexico

You mean kind of like when Ford was selling 250,000+ Tempos/year for around $11,000 and then had brain fade and replaced it with mulitibllion dollar "European" Contour for around $15,000 and was lucky to sell 175, 000 of them until it just died.

You mean kind of like when Ford was selling 250,000+ Tempos/year for around $11,000 and then had brain fade and replaced it with mulitibllion dollar "European" Contour for around $15,000 and was lucky to sell 175, 000 of them until it just died.

Don't you remember FNA messed it up though? :rolleyes:

:doh: So back to topic -

But first I have to razz those who refer to Motor Trend as a rag -

Bbbbuuuuuttttt Motor Trend is such a rag. All car magazines are trash. They never give American cars a good rating, blah blah blah

This is awesome.

Ford, it finally appears, is finally getting it. :shades: I still have to see one personally, and from the pix, I am still a bit concerned that the interior might be Ford typical plastic with a few nice enhancements. But still, between this, the Popular Mechanics review and the fact that Ford is scoring so much better in the JD Powers surveys it looks like Ford is on it's way to reclaiming what it was in the 80's. :shades:

Their assessment on the tail - I agree. I like the Maseratti type tail lights but maybe a Mark VIII hump would have been nice. But maybe I am old and that's not an option anymore?

Now if the Flex has a clean launch, we should be good.

Edited by 96 Pony

The mileage is correct at 19/27 and combined 22 using premium fuel. The Lexus GS has an overall length of 190 inches, exactly equal to the MKZ, and also within 1" of the Lexus ES. The GS weighs around 300 pounds less than the MKS and I believe has a DI engine, so maybe the numbers aren't so surprising.

I think the reviewers are having some trouble figuring out the facing competition for the MKS. On one hand, you could choose price. But if you choose price, then the competitive entry will either be much smaller to get the same feature content (like a Mercedes C or BMW3), or if it's a bit larger car (like a 5-series), it's likely to have vinyl seats (ohhhh, excuse me, I meant "leatherette"). If you want to look at a car the size of the MKS, then you have to go to the Lexus LS stretch or the Mercedes S-Class.

The MKS is what it is. It's a large, American luxury car that offers a lot of room and content for the dollar. It is built on a rock-solid, safe platform that handles competently, but not spectacularly. It has a pleasing exterior and interior, but certainly not at Audi levels of refinement. It has a capable powertrain.

Certainly at mid-$40's pricing, there are other choices, but none of them are quite the same as the MKS. It won't be everybody's cup of tea, but with planned volumes of 35k or so a year, it doesn't have to be. It will certainly have a lot better chance of walking MKZ owners up than a Town Car which most of them wouldn't consider. And it might have a chance of catching some luxury Crossover or SUV customers who want to step down to a car, but want lots of room and AWD. Time will tell.

Edited by Austin

Odd:

" The MKS fills a giant chasm in Lincoln's lineup, in between the mid-sized-ish MKZ, and the huge, ancient, Town Car. And the new sedan fills it well, and none too soon."

Isn't the MKS larger in interior room? Or are they taking into account that while the TC has huge dimensions overall, it doesnt necessarily translate to useable interior space? And isn't it already off the market for consumers?

Odd:

" The MKS fills a giant chasm in Lincoln's lineup, in between the mid-sized-ish MKZ, and the huge, ancient, Town Car. And the new sedan fills it well, and none too soon."

Isn't the MKS larger in interior room? Or are they taking into account that while the TC has huge dimensions overall, it doesnt necessarily translate to useable interior space? And isn't it already off the market for consumers?

Its of the market in Canada. Living in the US, you could still special order one if you wanted to....not that you would.

Edited by suv_guy_19

I just got a preview of the Lincoln MKS I will be driving tomorrow, still not black but absolutely gorgeous! That interior is perfection, I can't find a dash more intrinsically pleasing to sit behind. It makes my MKX feel cheap, to me that's amazing! The car is beautifully scultped in the front end, however the rear is very conventional. The LED tail lighting FX on the production car are better than I saw at the Autoshow, very nifty but also rather small! The car doesn't have the boiler plate LED lighting matrix, it uses a diffuser that floats in the middle of the lamp, pretty nice.

If I can take pictures tomorrow with my splendid new Nikon DSLR, I will post them here.

Edited by BORG

I just got a preview of the Lincoln MKS I will be driving tomorrow, still not black but absolutely gorgeous! That interior is perfection, I can't find a dash more intrinsically pleasing to sit behind. It makes my MKX feel cheap, to me that's amazing! The car is beautifully scultped in the front end, however the rear is very conventional. The LED tail lighting FX on the production car are better than I saw at the Autoshow, very nifty but also rather small! The car doesn't have the boiler plate LED lighting matrix, it uses a diffuser that floats in the middle of the lamp, pretty nice.

If I can take pictures tomorrow with my splendid new Nikon DSLR, I will post them here.

Please do.

Odd:

I think the Town Car L is bigger inside.