Rumoured Mondeo Coupe

Watchdevil

Hi all. :D Just to inject a sense of old-school reality into things. This is not a "coupe". Traditionally, coupes are 2 door cars. Or cars with no B-Pillar, only A and C Pillars. The pictures show a 4 door sedan, granted with a sportier roofline.

If it was to be built with no B-Pillar, it could legitimately be called a 4 door coupe, but that is not likely with stringent roof crush regulations. Notice I do not say "impossible", just not likely.

Even the article eventually calls it a "coupoon", mixing the words "Coupe" and "Saloon" (European-speak for 4 door sedan").

Nowadays, except for some high end models, the term "four door coupe" is just a marketing and advertising tool for a sedan with a faster (flatter) back-lite (rear roofline). In other words, these "4 door coupes" are just sportier sedans with less headroom in the back.

Don't get me wrong, it is a beautiful car and I hope Ford produces it, but it is not a "coupe", and neither is any other 4 door car.

Guess I am sort of old-school, and just don't agree with changing the meaning of words to suit todays latest fads. :soapbox:

Okay, back to our regularly scheduled programming.

Good luck. :beerchug:

Edited by bbf2530

This explains the description of a coupe:

Coupe

Interestingly, the use of the term coupe on a four door car showed up in 1962 on the Rover P5.

Also, the Cadillac Coupe de Ville among many large 2-door cars is technically not a coupe.

The SAE distinguishes a coupé from a sedan primarily by interior volume; SAE standard J1100 defines a coupé as a fixed-roof automobile with less than 33 cubic feet (0.93 cubic meters) of rear interior volume. A car with a greater interior volume is technically a two-door sedan, not a coupé, even if it has only two doors.

Hi Watchdevil. :D To not read it out of context, we need to post the entire quote from Wikipedia concerning the SAE definition. Since the entire quote goes on to state that very few sources actually use the SAE definition (interior volume). Here is the full quote concerning the SAE definition from Wikipedia:

The SAE distinguishes a coupé from a sedan primarily by interior volume; SAE standard J1100 defines a coupé as a fixed-roof automobile with less than 33 cubic feet (0.93 cubic meters) of rear interior volume. A car with a greater interior volume is technically a two-door sedan, not a coupé, even if it has only two doors. By this standard, the Chevrolet Monte Carlo, Ferrari 612 Scaglietti, and Mercedes-Benz CL-Class coupés are all two-door sedans. Only a few sources, however (including the magazine Car and Driver), use the two-door sedan label in this manner. Some car manufacturers may nonetheless choose to use the word coupé (or coupe) to describe such a model, e.g., the Cadillac Coupe de Ville.

As you can see, the full quote states that very few sources actually use the SAE description of a coupe.

Here is the portion of the Wikipedia definition that actually deals with the commonly accepted definition of coupe:

A coupé or coupe (from the French verb couper, to cut) is a car body style, the precise definition of which varies from manufacturer to manufacturer, and over time. Coupés are often sporty variants of sedans (also known as saloons — see American and British English spelling differences) body styles, with doors commonly reduced from 4 to 2, and a close-coupled[clarify] interior offering either two seats or 2+2 seating (space for two passengers in the front and two occasional passengers or children in the rear). Before the days of motorized vehicles, the word referred to the front or after compartment of a Continental stagecoach.

And more here:

Alternatively, a coupé is distinguished from a two-door sedan by the lack of a "B" pillar to support the roof. Sedans have an "A" pillar forward at the windscreen, a "B" pillar aft of the door, and a "C" pillar defining the aftermost roof support at the rear window. Thus with all side-windows down, a coupé would appear windowless from the "A" to the "C" pillars. These fixed-roof models are described as a hardtop. Targa top models are a variation on the convertible design.

Again, traditionally coupes are B-pillarless two door cars, with the "4 door coupe" description being extended to 4 door cars with no B-Pillar.

In the automotive world, the Cadillac Coupe DeVille is considered a coupe. Two doors, no B-Pillar. It is only not considered a coupe by the SAE definition of a coupe, and the SAE definition is federalized mumbo-jumbo having to do with interior volume.

Anyway, all of that is really beside the point. I was only trying to point out that the Mondeo pictured above is not a coupe, it is a sedan. It has 4 doors, a B-Pillar, and does not fit any definition of a coupe.

Edited by bbf2530

Okay so by that definition many cars are not coupes if they have a B-pillar.... My Mustang has a B-pillar... Every Cadillac Coupe De Ville since 1974 has had a B-pillar....

Hi Watchdevil. :D No, actually that may be where the confusion is coming from.

Your Mustang does not have a "B-Pillar". It has a large C-Pillar with a fixed window in it. Same thing with the Coupe DeVille. No B-Pillar, just a fixed window in the C-Pillar.

Essentially those windows are the equivalent of what used to be called "Opera Windows" in the older days. Just decorative (and sometimes functional for visibility purposes) fixed windows in the C-Pillar.

Hopefully that clears up the confusion, and we can move on.

And again, I was not trying to incite a debate on what qualifies a two door coupe, only point out that the Mondeo pictured above was a Sedan (4 doors, B-Pillar etc.), not a Coupe.

Edited by bbf2530

Coupe DeVille with a B-pillar.... Circa 1981-84 with no opera window. Fleetwood Coupes of the same years still had a B-pillar despite the opera window look. It was a padded cap on the back of the roof trimmed with wrapover moldings which fit right over the same quarter panels as the DeVille.

Hi Watchdevil. :D Please, before you reply again, would you answer this question: Do you believe that the Mondeo pictured in the story (which has four doors and B-Pillars) is really a "Coupe". If the answer is no, let's please drop it as we agree. If the answer is yes, let's still drop it because we will never agree. I will cite numerous expert opinions stating that by definition it is not a coupe, but somehow we will once again wind up endlessly debating the naming of the 1981-1984 Coupe DeVille or some other vehicle that correctly or incorrectly calls itself a "Coupe". I respect your right to disagree and will not think less of you for it.

In addition, let me make clear that my original post was meant to correct the misinformation in the article, not anything that you were saying. It is certainly not your fault that the writer of that article mislabeled the Mondeo as a coupe (then corrected himself later in the article).

Now, to address your last post. Ummm...it seems no matter how many times I state that in my original post "I was not trying to incite a debate on what qualifies a two door coupe, only point out that the Mondeo pictured above was a Sedan (4 doors, B-Pillar etc.), not a Coupe.", you keep going back to the Coupe DeVille. Might the 1981 Coupe DeVille have a B-Pillar? Sure maybe. All that means is Cadillac used the term "Coupe" improperly. Poetic License. Marketing ploy. Who cares? It just means it was a two door sedan being called a coupe. Automakers and all products that depend highly on image do it all the time. There are no truth in labeling laws concerning the naming of cars. Your Mustang does not have four legs, a tail and eat grass, right? With all due respect, so what?

I actually forget now, are you saying the Cadillac Coupe DeVille is a legitimate coupe, or is not? Do you even know anymore? Does it even make a difference? What does all of this have to do with the Mondeo? What is the meaning of life? :hysterical: (I am just kidding, so please do not take offense).

In fact, I will go a step further and give you this point: If the 1981-1984 Coupe DeVille or any other two door car that called itself a "Coupe" also had a B-Pillar, it was false advertising and improperly named. Again, just a marketing ploy to make it sound "sportier". Does that finally solve the Coupe DeVille controversy?

Your Mustang is a coupe. Two doors, no B-Pillar (large C-pillar with a fixed window).

Does the fact that those two cars (Coupe DeVille and Mustang) are whatever they are change what the Mondeo is? No.

The point is, the Mondeo pictured in the story is not a "Coupe". It has four doors and B-Pillars, therefore it is a four door sedan. Again, a beautiful, sportier looking four door sedan, but by definition still a four door sedan.

For the love of God, even the text of the story states that the Mondeo it is not really a coupe ("Coupoon" remember. A sporty roofed, B-Pillared Sedan)!

In one of your earlier posts you provided a Wikipedia definition to back up your point of view. As it turned out, when read completely it stated otherwise. No harm and no big deal. I am not going to go searching the Internet for pictures of the 1981-1984 Coupe DeVilles and Fleetwood Coupes. And before you search the Internet for pictures, please think about it first, because in the end it just does not matter. If it had a true B-Pillar, it was not a "Coupe" according to the definition of a "Coupe", no matter what Cadillac called it. If it had no B-Pillar, it was a coupe. Simple as that.

Again, the point is, the Mondeo pictured above is not a "coupe". Four doors, B-Pillar etc.

I am sure you are a nice person, but I just do not care what a 1981-1984 Cadillac should/shouldn't be called. The Mondeo pictured above is not a coupe. Do you agree? I hope we can agree that there is no reason for either of us to waste more time on this debate, right? Our paychecks and lifetime happiness do not depend on this.

In addition, I wanted to thank you for keeping the conversation polite and courteous. Not everyone here always keeps it on a mature level. I appreciate that, and will continue to do so myself :drool: (but I really hope it can just amicably end). :yup:

I think I need a nap now. I'm exhausted. :eek5:

PS - I know, I know. I underline a lot for emphasis. My bad. :banghead:

Edited by bbf2530

Hi all. :D Just to inject a sense of old-school reality into things. This is not a "coupe". Traditionally, coupes are 2 door cars. Or cars with no B-Pillar, only A and C Pillars. The pictures show a 4 door sedan, granted with a sportier roofline.

Good point and to that I add, Ford needs to hit the market with a Coupe. My Mustang is my only Ford product and when asked it is simply "because Ford has nothing to compete with GM's 2 door G5, G6, G8, Monte Carlo, etc, etc, etc. I followed the stream about the Capri and don't care who builds it (Mercury or Ford) give me something I want as a consumer not just what you want to build.

Hi Watchdevil. :D Thanks for the very interesting walk down memory lane. Just one little correction though: Notchback, Fastback etc. are simply descriptive terms for roof styles. Coupe, Hardtop, Sedan etc. are actually body styles. A slight but important differentiation.

Essentially, the fact that Ford did not market, name or advertise something as a "Coupe" does not change the fact that it either is or is not a coupe. Just as we agreed that Cadillac calling a two door vehicle with B-Pillars a "Coupe DeVille" did not change the fact that it was not really a Coupe, just named one as a marketing tool. Again, the differentiation is paramount.

Anyway, I'm glad we now agree that the 4 door B-Pillared Mondeo pictured in the "Car Magazine Online" article is not a coupe, as reinforced by your researched information. And thanks a bunch for the list of so many old cars that I have actually either driven or been a passenger in during my lifetime.

Keep up the wonderful research.

Edited by bbf2530