Ford: Next Gen Focus to begin production in NA in 2010

Harley Lover

Embedded in a Ford announcement delaying the intro of the 2009 F-150 for 2 months is the following nugget:

Next-generation, European Ford Focus and Fiesta small cars to begin production in North America in 2010, as Ford confirms it is revising its product plan to add more small cars, crossovers and fuel-efficient powertrains, including many from Ford's acclaimed European lineup.

How does this timing alter what we think we know about the overall changes envisioned for Ford's manufacturing plants?

More:

In addition to hatchback and sedan versions of the European-engineered Ford Fiesta small car that goes on sale in North America in early 2010, Ford is announcing today that four- and five-door versions of the next-generation European Ford Focus small car will be produced in North America beginning in late 2010.

Wow!

And:

Wayne Assembly Plant's body and paint shops will add a third shift, and the line-speed will be increased for final assembly production of the popular Ford Focus small car.

This is, of course, for the current Focus model.

Edited by Harley Lover

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How does this timing alter what we think we know about the overall changes envisioned for Ford's manufacturing plants?

Doesn't really seem to change much of anything, unless the dates within the year have also changed. It has been known for some time that the Fiesta would arrive in late '09/early '10, Focus in mid-late '10.

Does the addition of a third shift for Wayne pretty much 'seal the deal' that the next Gen Focus will be manufactured there?

Not necessarily. I would say it makes it more likely, but keep in mind the number of other plants in that region where the workers could be shifted around.

Ford Fiesta small car that goes on sale in North America in early 2010,

So this is as expected as a MY2011.

The next-generation European Ford Focus small car will be produced in North America beginning in late 2010.

This is now confirmed for MY2011, whereas MY2011 or MY2012 dates were mentioned.

So Europe gets the new Fiesta 2 years earlier then N.A, and the MKIII Focus 1 year earlier.

Euro Fiesta will be MY2009 and MKIII Focus will be MY2010.

Ford Fiesta small car that goes on sale in North America in early 2010,

So this is as expected as a MY2011.

The next-generation European Ford Focus small car will be produced in North America beginning in late 2010.

This is now confirmed for MY2011, whereas MY2011 or MY2012 dates were mentioned.

So Europe gets the new Fiesta 2 years earlier then N.A, and the MKIII Focus 1 year earlier.

Euro Fiesta will be MY2009 and MKIII Focus will be MY2010.

there has been NO confirmation of the MkIII Focus time line for Europe - the 2010 CY seems perfectly in line for EU Launch as well - the EU and US Launches of the C2 MkIII Focus will be within months of each other.

The delay for Fiesta comes from the fact that the Fiesta needs modifications for US market - it was not developped as aglobal car (despite wast mainstream media loves to regurgitate) - the US and EU model will be almost identical on the surface, but there will be significant changes under the skin. The US model was added in 2006. The C2 MkIII Focus is a global car however - no modifications under the skin - not substantial ones anyways.

Igor

If they don't sell either a 3 door Fiesta or Focus hatch here by then they are really stupid, the more options, the better, that might be the first time in my life I don't buy a Ford, all I want is a damn 2 door hatch to replace my ZX3. Ford until recently sold 4 versions of the Focus, they need to get on board.

If they don't sell either a 3 door Fiesta or Focus hatch here by then they are really stupid, the more options, the better, that might be the first time in my life I don't buy a Ford, all I want is a damn 2 door hatch to replace my ZX3. Ford until recently sold 4 versions of the Focus, they need to get on board.

they will....

With the notable exception of the delayed '09 F-150, this is great news. Essentially, it confirms the ambitious time table I had been doubting all along. We haven't even seen evidence of the next gen Focus running around yet but we will see it in less than 2 years.

I was hoping for some confirmation on the Kuga just to spice things up a bit ;)

Edited by BORG

With the notable exception of the delayed '09 F-150, this is great news. Essentially, it confirms the ambitious time table I had been doubting all along. We haven't even seen evidence of the next gen Focus running around yet but we will see it in less than 2 years.

I was hoping for some confirmation on the Kuga just to spice things up a bit ;)

they did - they explicitly mentioned "crossovers from Europe - there is only one.

Igor