Ford Explorer

Ford was committed to a change over to a D3 based Ford Explorer (although I think some of that is speculative). With the Flex coming online and the future of gas hogging people movers looking quite a bit murkier, is there any indication Ford is changing its plans on Explorer? If a new Explorer is coming, when will we see it? How long can the existing Explorer solider on as is?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ford was committed to a change over to a D3 based Ford Explorer (although I think some of that is speculative). With the Flex coming online and the future of gas hogging people movers looking quite a bit murkier, is there any indication Ford is changing its plans on Explorer? If a new Explorer is coming, when will we see it? How long can the existing Explorer solider on as is?

A few people have said on here that 2009 is the last model year for the BOF Explorer.

I have a suspicion that the next Explorer will replace the Taurus X when the 2010 Taurus comes out. The a new BOF Bronco and Sport Trac will replace the BOF Explorer. I don't know how they are going to build the next Explorer, but hope that it will stay RWD based.

I have a suspicion that the next Explorer will replace the Taurus X when the 2010 Taurus comes out. The a new BOF Bronco and Sport Trac will replace the BOF Explorer. I don't know how they are going to build the next Explorer, but hope that it will stay RWD based.

I'd like to see a vehicle very similar in stance, etc. to the current Explorer, but with better fuel economy for the next gen Explorer.

The Taurus X has already been replaced by the Flex. The Explorer will compete with the Lambdas, although I'm not sure there is a large enough market for this many gas thirsty people haulers at Ford.

I can't imagine Explorer would be anything other than D3, there are no other large car platforms to use.

Territory was the original replacement for the Exploder in Australia,

Ford America tried to copy it with the Freestyle and fercarked it up.:)

They then frekarked it up again with Taurus X. :):)

I guess they still have plenty money to throw away....

BTW, Territory and Falcon gets the Land Rover V6 turbo diesel for 2010,

Maybe Falcon is the non non-continuing platform.:)

Territory was the original replacement for the Exploder in Australia,

Ford America tried to copy it with the Freestyle and fercarked it up.:)

They then frekarked it up again with Taurus X. :):)

I guess they still have plenty money to throw away....

BTW, Territory and Falcon gets the Land Rover V6 turbo diesel for 2010,

Maybe Falcon is the non non-continuing platform.:)

Does Ford want the Explorer to look like an SUV or be an SUV. If they just want it to look like an SUV then bring it out based on the D4 and replace the Taurus X. If they want it to be an SUV, then they need to import the Territory.

Not trying to be argumentative, but is it really that cut and dried? The entire Jeep lineup is unitbody, and no one questions that lineup's credibility.

You are completely right!

If they make major changes to the D3 platform and adapt it to RWD, then it could completely replace the Explorer as is and make huge improvements in fuel efficiency and space. If they don't, then they will have a much larger large 7-passenger Escape.

I don't envy Ford on this decision - the consumer base is so fickle right now, it's hard to determine which way their tastes are headed (other than an extreme focus on fuel economy).

Even the focus on fuel economy will likely wane over a period of time. People were ultra-fuel-conscious in the mid 70's and early 80's too. Markets and vehicles changed and people forgot about it. People will still want good fuel economy, but I'm going to take a stab and guess it won't be their reason for buying a vehicle 4-5 years from now, as most vehicles should have increased fuel economy across the board.

The current Explorer with some freshening (and lightening) with 3.5 would be OK with me. It's a very useful vehicle in current form. It would be OK with me if it were more truck oriented, and leave the Flex for the people moving. While the Flex has a lot of room inside, it's not the type of room that's useful to me. It's too nice on inside.

Edited by Ralph Greene

I would like to see Ford keep the Explorer BOF as there is already enough uni body crap in the line up. If they could trim some weight possibly and put the 3.7 in then maybe we could see some a good increase in mialege? The current Explorer is a very nice vehicle and the Explorer nameplate most certainly cannot die off.

My unit-body Jeep Liberty sucks. Period.

My V-8 Explorer gets better fuel economy than the V-6 Liberty.

First off, not every Jeep is unit body... it amazes me how you (not you Pioneer, but prior posters) forget the Wrangler

Second, yes my wrangler gets absolutely pitiful fuel economy,

Even before the 34's and lift it still ran about 15 average (mostly highway).

...(on topic)...

If Ford wants to make a new Explorer, make it (very) capable, and not just by looks.

The Explorer needs a decent tow rating and some off-road credentials to separate it from Flex and Edge.

...just my opinion...

Ford has enough crossovers, they should keep their 2 BOF SUVs and put diesel engines on them. Grand Cherokee's retail sales in Canada are 75% diesel. This should keep the Explorer as a capable TRUCK, because that's what it's supposed to be.