Camaro Officially Revealed

ANTAUS

No I wouldn't... I just call 'em like I see 'em. :)

Anyway, unless you're this guy, you've to take your eyes off the road every time you...

- Check your fuel.

- Check the speedo.

- Check your RPMs.

- Check the temp gauge.

- Check the radio display/buttons.

- Check the AC knobs.

- Check your mirrors.

etc.

It's not like those gauges are in the back seat, hidden in the glove box, hard to read/find in a quick glance, etc.

And yes, the Mustang's interior was praised to no end here, as was this.

Camaro is hardly any different, GM just tried harder than Ford, look above... props for the superior effort. B)

Edited by pcsario

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, GM tried harder than Ford on the retro theme 5 years later. Listen PC, have you seen the 2010 Mustang interior sans camo? Didn't think so.

Oh and back to your G8 handling comment, the old SRA vs. IRS debate begins again. I'm sure your comments are based soley on...well nothing, considering you've probably never driven a new Mustang or a G8 on any road course.

It's just another retro interior like the Stang's (I love how people are now implying it's a great interior in comparison)

ford-mustang-interior-3-_216.jpg

10.chevrolet.camaro.rs.dsh.500.jpg

What kind of "retro" look was GM going for? It doesn't look anything like a 1st gen. Camaro interior:

68Camaro15Interior.jpg.JPG

At least the '05 Mustang interior looks like a Mustang interior, using design cues from the 1967-1968 Mustang interior:

1967_Ford_Shelby_Mustang_GT-500_int.JPG

The new Camaro interior looks like something a TV show producer would have cooked up in 1985 trying to look "futuristic."

Figures most of the same cheerleaders bashing it, are the same ones who drooled over certain other retro interior. :doh:

800px-Ford_GT_interior.jpg

I don't recall anyone "drooling" over the FGT interior, but it is certainly far more attractive -- and functional -- than the new Camaro's. The GT also has real aluminum toggle switches and knobs everywhere that feel heavy and substantial to the touch, something the new Camaro can't claim.

What kind of "retro" look was GM going for? It doesn't look anything like a 1st gen. Camaro interior:

68Camaro15Interior.jpg.JPG

At least the '05 Mustang interior looks like a Mustang interior, using design cues from the 1967-1968 Mustang interior:

1967_Ford_Shelby_Mustang_GT-500_int.JPG

The new Camaro interior looks like something a TV show producer would have cooked up in 1985 trying to look "futuristic."

I don't recall anyone "drooling" over the FGT interior, but it is certainly far more attractive -- and functional -- than the new Camaro's. The GT also has real aluminum toggle switches and knobs everywhere that feel heavy and substantial to the touch, something the new Camaro can't claim.

folks, i like the fact that the camaro and challenger are coming out. perhaps ford will stay on thier toes when it comes to the mustang. nothing better then competition to get car companies off thier asses, and cars out there that people really want. i'm not an expert, but im willing to bet that the camaro is a winner. as a side note I am glad that america is putting out great cars, no matter who the manufacturer is.

It's just another retro interior like the Stang's (I love how people are now implying it's a great interior in comparison)

ford-mustang-interior-3-_216.jpg

10.chevrolet.camaro.rs.dsh.500.jpg

http://www.autoblog.com/photos/2010-chevro...-1/932185/full/

Figures most of the same cheerleaders bashing it, are the same ones who drooled over certain other retro interior. :doh:

800px-Ford_GT_interior.jpg

Yeah, the G8 is such a POS in terms of handling I'm totally seeing your point.

Only rednecks race on straight tracks.

I actually praised the G8 and Malibu interior when comparing the Camaros to something. GM CAN do better, but they dropped the ball big time with this. The interior looks like a half assed attempt at a retro 71 E-Body Mopar dash with first gen Camaro guages.

As far as your Mustang comparison goes, YES, even that looks better.

The new Camaro interior is an ergonomic nightmare. The Mustang interior is not.

thank you....i love the way old muscle looks but i can't stand the way their interiors look

the Mustang does not have a great interior but it is more ergonomic than the Camaro's

No I wouldn't... I just call 'em like I see 'em. :)

And yes, the Mustang's interior was praised to no end here, as was this.

Camaro is hardly any different, GM just tried harder than Ford, look above... props for the superior effort. B)

You are ridiculous, as usual. That's not calling it like you see it, it's called dellusional

Do you honestly think a 300hp V6 Camaro weighing 3700+ pounds in going to keep up with a 300hp V8 Mustang weighing less than 3500 pounds?

ntry-level Camaros will use the same spark-ignition, direct-injection 3.6-liter V-6 that powers the Cadillac CTS. With variable valve timing, double overhead camshafts, and four valves per cylinder, this high-feature V-6 is arguably more significant and undeniably higher tech than the Camaro's V-8

He did say to expect V-6 output north of 300 horsepower and 270-pound-feet on regular unleaded.

http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/coupes...look/index.html

NORTH of 300, as in more than. Now how much more and how it would stack up against a Mustang GT? Who knows, I guess we'll find out soon enough.

But I think it's pretty safe to say that even with the new 3.5 V6 the Mustang V6 model is going to get blown out by the Camaro counterpart pretty easily.

By the way Mustangs did quite well yesterday at the Barber Motorsports races. First through third, a good showing for Mustang in a field laden with Porsches and BMW's. I'm going to get some good video of it on here soon enough.

But I think it's pretty safe to say that even with the new 3.5 V6 the Mustang V6 model is going to get blown out by the Camaro counterpart pretty easily.

Not so sure about that one,

Will the new Mustang have a 3.5 or the 3.7 being developed for the F150?

Ford could really stir the possum with a lighter V6 Mustang if they get the engine package right.

3200 lb PFI 3.7 V6 Mustang Vs. 3500 lb (?) 3.6 DI V6 Camaro.

Could be grounds for some great bar room debates.

Edited by jpd80

Not in sales. Wait and see. Lutz is hyping the "premium" nature of the Camaro. Ford isn't pretending the Mustang is anything more than what it is--a reasonably priced, fun car.

Re: the interiors. I never said I liked the new Mustangs interiors. In fact after renting a Mustang I disliked it even more - I think at one point I said it was Chrysler-like (I have since changed my mind on that after renting a Sebring *ewwwww*! ;) . I have continually said they lost something after what I considered a great interior design of the SN95's.

That said, this new Camaro's interior gives me a greater appreciation of the Mustangs! :o

Re: the speed of the V6's - nobody is going to care. The 1990's Crapmaros and Firebirds were consistently faster than the Mustangs on all levels, yet experienced crappy sales in comparison.

I like the SN95 dash design much better than the new dash, but the interior is very cramped for someone of my stature.

I couldn't fit in a '94/'95 GT because the seat wouldn't go back far enough to get my knees off the dash, but my GTS has thinner V6 seats, so I have just enough clearance.

I like the SN95 dash design much better than the new dash, but the interior is very cramped for someone of my stature.

I couldn't fit in a '94/'95 GT because the seat wouldn't go back far enough to get my knees off the dash, but my GTS has thinner V6 seats, so I have just enough clearance.

You might want to google the "seat-mod" or look into a '99+ seat track. Both options will give you an extra 1"-1.5" of seat travel. I'm 6'3" and am comfortable in my '99. I couldn't stand the lack of seat travel in the 96-98 GTs, my left knee would almost break the DS A/C vent in those cars.

Not in sales. Wait and see. Lutz is hyping the "premium" nature of the Camaro. Ford isn't pretending the Mustang is anything more than what it is--a reasonably priced, fun car.

I couldn't care less about the sales numbers. At these gas prices cars like the Mustang, Camaro and Challenger are an idea long since dead. Mustang sales have been rapidly and steadily dropping for several months now. I don't expect the Camaro and Challenger will fare any better.

I couldn't care less about the sales numbers. At these gas prices cars like the Mustang, Camaro and Challenger are an idea long since dead. Mustang sales have been rapidly and steadily dropping for several months now. I don't expect the Camaro and Challenger will fare any better.

Sorta just like the Wrangler....it gets worse MPG then a V8 Mustang and for the most part is just as impracticable as a Mustang is for different reasons...

You might want to google the "seat-mod" or look into a '99+ seat track. Both options will give you an extra 1"-1.5" of seat travel. I'm 6'3" and am comfortable in my '99. I couldn't stand the lack of seat travel in the 96-98 GTs, my left knee would almost break the DS A/C vent in those cars.

I had the same prob - I'm 6'3" I took the '96 GT in and my friendly Ford dealer was happy to set the seat rail back (for $300 of course). My '01 - no prob. The dealer fixed everything before I took it off the lot.

The interior isn't my cup of tea at all, but I like that at least one of the pony cars doesn't have "looks like an old one" as its primary exterior design theme. (Speaking as someone who prefers the 99 Mustang to the current one.) Then again, I am not and probably never will be in the pony car demographic.

Is that because of fuel costs or because the Mustang's current design is 4+ years old now? Probably some of both.

I had the same prob - I'm 6'3" I took the '96 GT in and my friendly Ford dealer was happy to set the seat rail back (for $300 of course). My '01 - no prob. The dealer fixed everything before I took it off the lot.

Yeah, I'm only 5'9" and the seat is pushed back almost as far as it will go, even at my height. I can see how it would be a tight squeeze for anyone taller.

Sorta just like the Wrangler....it gets worse MPG then a V8 Mustang and for the most part is just as impracticable as a Mustang is for different reasons...

Actually the Mustang is rated at 15 / 23 and the Jeep at 15 /19. Around town I am actually getting 17 but I wouldn't consider that any significant gain over a Mustang GT. As far as a Jeeps practicality, well.

A Jeep can drive here.

open-road.jpg

or here

JP007_089WR.jpg

or here

Jimmy2.jpg

and that's a heck of a lot more places than any Mustang will ever go under it's own power which makes the Jeep about a billion times more practical.

Edited by BlackHorse