ABC News Says MTP to Produce Cars

FordBuyer

ABC News reported tonight and even interviewed MTP employees that they will be getting new cars to build. Looks like Expedition/Navigator move to Dearborn, Kentucky, or Kansas City. MTP is to be retooled for new European based cars. New F100 must be going to Dearborn as it is flexible plant. Those employees interviewed seemed relieved to hear the news that MTP still has life ahead of it. Good news for Michigan as we don't need another closed down plant. Wayne is humming now and hopefully MTP will do well again with new product.

Another report that just came out says that part of MTP plant will be retooled to produce bodies for the present Focus as Wayne Stamping can't keep up with Focus demand. Supposedly Expy/Nav production will move to Kentucky Truck plant soon as possible. Looks like Ford is aiming to build more than 300,000 Focus for 2009.

IMO the most common sense would be to build the focus on MTP since its next to the focus plant

According to NYT article, only the bodies will be built at MTP in one area of the huge plant. Wayne Stamping can't build enough to probably run eventual three shifts. The Focus is a big hit and reason they are hard to find on Dealer lot. The '09 Coupe should be more popular and so should the SEL model with all the goodies standard. Ford right now couldn't consistently sell 30,000 of them a month even is consistent demand were there. Ford needs to sell over 300,000 Focus/year and doesn't have the capacity right now to do so. MTP right now makes perfect sense to accomplish this necessary task since it's right next door and underused right now.

According to NYT article, only the bodies will be built at MTP in one area of the huge plant. Wayne Stamping can't build enough to probably run eventual three shifts. The Focus is a big hit and reason they are hard to find on Dealer lot. The '09 Coupe should be more popular and so should the SEL model with all the goodies standard. Ford right now couldn't consistently sell 30,000 of them a month even is consistent demand were there. Ford needs to sell over 300,000 Focus/year and doesn't have the capacity right now to do so. MTP right now makes perfect sense to accomplish this necessary task since it's right next door and underused right now.

I don't know if MTP would be retooled to produce the current Focus. It would be wasteful to retool for a car that will just be around a year to be replaced by the Euro Focus.

My hope is that Ford is not simply going to "merge" Wayne Assembly and MTP-using pieces of each- as a way to renege on their promises/product commitments they made to both plants.

ABC News reported tonight and even interviewed MTP employees that they will be getting new cars to build. Looks like Expedition/Navigator move to Dearborn, Kentucky, or Kansas City. MTP is to be retooled for new European based cars. New F100 must be going to Dearborn as it is flexible plant. Those employees interviewed seemed relieved to hear the news that MTP still has life ahead of it. Good news for Michigan as we don't need another closed down plant. Wayne is humming now and hopefully MTP will do well again with new product.

I wonder where Wayne Assembly fits in to all of this. If MTP gets the new Euro Focus, what happens to Wayne once that gets online?

Wasn't Kuga to come and replace the Escape anyways, before this whole product turnaround direction came into play ? Supposedly Kuga was to replace the Escape as a compact SUV offering, or is Ford planning to continue the Escape has a truckier styled one and compliment it with a sophisticatedly styled Kuga ?

Wasn't Kuga to come and replace the Escape anyways, before this whole product turnaround direction came into play ? Supposedly Kuga was to replace the Escape as a compact SUV offering, or is Ford planning to continue the Escape has a truckier styled one and compliment it with a sophisticatedly styled Kuga ?

That has never made any sense to me.

The real "next-gen" Kuga won't exist until at least MY13.

Any Kuga launched in 2010 would be --at best-- the refresh of the current design.

Well, I guess that depends how different they really expect the next all-new design to be. I think it would be a bit longer than 2 years though. The Kuga isn't exactly old now.

personally i think this is the fastest and smartest move i have seen ford make in a long time..it bodes well for the future and should help alleviate concerns on the line which is a damn good thing

personally i think this is the fastest and smartest move i have seen ford make in a long time..it bodes well for the future and should help alleviate concerns on the line which is a damn good thing

I think we are jumping the gun a bit on any guesses for timeframes here. We should know tomorrow, but I don't see these vehicles being here for at least well over another year, no matter how quickly they try to move things. Only so much can be done at once, especially when considering things like tooling, stamping, etc.