MAZDA 3

Edstock

Look at the lower 2/3s of the front bumper/grill area, then look at their last three "high design" concepts. This has a lot of what those concepts were wearing on the front end. I think this has very well incorporated those design concepts in a very agressive and smooth way to keep the look from being too revolutionary and more evolutionary. If its a photoshop creation, its a damned good one and makes nice use of MAzda's recent concepts. If it is the real deal, then my hat's off to Mazda, this will be the best looking design of its generation (and definitely bests my current favorite design, the current Lancer). I hope that a lot of this design DNA gets massaged into the MCE Mazda5 that should be due in a year or two. That will be one sweet looking micro-minivan and a definite target for our next vehicle purchase.

I agree it looks pretty good, but as others have said, it's likely just a rendering and not much else.

Actually, I'm going to take that second part of my comment back.....it actually looks very similar to spy shots: http://www.leftlanenews.com/wp-content/plu...idg=1&idi=2

Something about the lower grille makes me think Malibu (new) though...

Edited by rmc523

Gawf!!! The Lancer???

Is it because the Lancer's grille looks like an inverted intake from an F-16?

Yes RJ, the Lancer. Why? Well, its difficult to be specific about what makes it my favorite, but, I like the overall design more than the detail work, if that makest any sense. The whole vehicle looks low and wide. The car is nicely proportioned with a long hood, a nice curve to the passenger compartment roof and a short rear deck. The character lines on the doors seem cohesive to the overall design and add visual interest there. The nose isn't overly busy and the air intakes and understated grill do make sense with the design. The tail lights aren't eyesores and the rear bumper integrates well with the rest of the rear end. Overall, it looks agressive without being outlandish. It doesn't look bulbous or squashed, nor does it look like another vehicle was squeezed down and had bits lopped off at the ends to make it. I know that some would consider it too boy-raceresque, but, that's my taste.

My list of three favorite current C-car designs are:

1) Mitsubishi Lancer

2) Mazda3 (like the hatch more than the sedan)

3) Honda Civic (the si sedan being the best there)

My three least favorite, starting with the one I dislike the most...

1) Nissan Sentra (its just homely looking, there's no getting around it)

2) Saturn Astra (it just doesn't look "right" to me)

3) Ford Focus (I know its only a temporary patch job, but, I really don't like it's looks)

The Corolla and Cobalt just kind of blend into the crowd. I like the Jetta and don't find the Elantra or Spectra to be bad looking either. Actually, the latest update to the Spectra looks pretty good.

And don't tell me that you are in love with the air intakes on Ford's new Euro small car nose? Those things look about as small as the intake on the F-86 of the Korean War era. At least the Lancer intake seems integrated into the nose, not like the nose was built around this gaping maw.

Renderings from AutoCar

http://www.autocar.co.uk/News/NewsArticle/AllCars/234274/#

The next generation Mazda 3 is ready to go into production and will be launched before the end of the year, company insiders in Japan have revealed.

Mazda says it has created a more stylish family hatchback (as previewed by our rendered image) and plans to build on the global success of the outgoing car.

Its designers have chosen an imposing, aggressive design for the front end of the 3. The new car also gets more pronounced wheel arches – now a Mazda family trait already noticeable on the 6 and the 2. At the rear, funky tail lamps echo those found on the new Mazda 6.

It all means this hatch should have a more distinctive road presence than its predecessor.

3178811213.jpg

car_photo_273891_25.jpg

Edited by Edstock