Details on MKT Tomorrow

FordBuyer

Ford Plans New Luxury Crossover

By MATTHEW DOLAN

August 14, 2008 5:56 p.m.

Ford Motor Co. is expected to announce Friday that it will build a new, seven passenger luxury crossover, according to two people familiar with the company's plans.

The three-row Lincoln MKT crossover is due to go into production next year. Inspired by the concept vehicle with a "bustle back" displayed at the Detroit auto show this year, it will share the same architecture as the new Ford Flex. But the MKT will feature a much sleeker design compared with the boxy Flex and its chief designer has dubbed it the "Learjet of the road."

MKT mostly likely will be manufactured at the same plant where the Flex is built in Oakville, Ontario, but people familiar with the plans couldn't confirm the production schedule there.

Among its competitors would be the Acura MDX, the Audi Q7 and the Mercedes R class, people familiar with the matter said. But the MKT is not designed to be a large production run. The company expects annual sales in the range of the mid-20,000 vehicles.

Insiders at Ford contrasted the full-scale product development behind the MKT with the current Lincoln Mark LT luxury pick-up, which critics saw as a weak derivative and never took off with customers.

Details about the MKT are scheduled to be announced at the Pebble Beach Concours classic car show running this weekend. Ford spokesman Mark Truby said Thursday that he would not comment on future announcements.

Recognizing consumer demand for great fuel economy, the MKT will come only with a V-6 engine, and not the more powerful V-8. Eventually, Ford's new, more powerful Eco-Boost engine is also expected to be an option.

Details about the MKT are scheduled to be announced at the Pebble Beach Concours classic car show running this weekend. Ford spokesman Mark Truby said Thursday that he would not comment on future announcements.

Recognizing consumer demand for great fuel economy, the MKT will come only with a V-6 engine, and not the more powerful V-8. Eventually, Ford's new, more powerful Eco-Boost engine is also expected to be an option.

Not to burst the bubble but this is VERY old news....

It might be old news, but this is a public announcement in front of a discerning crowd. You sure don't want an Aztek reaction. I hope there is a luxury 2-row option.

So, the Flex is not doing well...and now they are going to introduce yet another overpriced seven seat station wagon???

Makes perfect sense to me.

Not much of anything is doing well right now. July was the worst sales month in many years for the industry as a whole. I predict the Flex will do much better when the economy improves. Hopefully this will occur sooner rather than later.

Not much of anything is doing well right now. July was the worst sales month in many years for the industry as a whole. I predict the Flex will do much better when the economy improves. Hopefully this will occur sooner rather than later.

Yeah...but Ford has a smaller inventory level of the Expedition, Explorer, F-150, and (ancient) Ranger than they do the Flex.

Yeah...but Ford has a smaller inventory level of the Expedition, Explorer, F-150, and (ancient) Ranger than they do the Flex.

i like the flex from a design standpoint....the purple one i looked at tonight (are the cpying yoda with that white fj40roof) however did not impress on gas mileage and the cloth interior looks cheap....the gas mileage is far better then the expy and may be that a good thing for a large family trading off the waste away expy

ps...my local dodge dealer had no 08 rams on the lot while the ford guy had a few with quite a few edges sitting collecting dust...1 new mustang which was the warriors in pink edition..not for me but the chicks should dig those pink stripes..its really slow out here in the corn belt

Edited by snooter

Uh, Sorry P71 CrownVic, but any comments of yours are undermined by your "Whoops" banner showing the Focus......It seems to me that both Foci are selling very well thank you very much and an even better world-wide focus developed from the all around the Ford Republic, including NA. The Flex is doing fine, and will do great once the economy improves....just you wait and see.

So, the Flex is not doing well...and now they are going to introduce yet another overpriced seven seat station wagon???

Yeah, I don't know what they were thinking when they set this product's entire development cycle in motion last week. What a bunch of idiots.

A Learjet of the road... I am intrigued.

learjet-b.jpg

Yes, complete with retractable wings and jet engines....

It might be old news, but this is a public announcement in front of a discerning crowd. You sure don't want an Aztek reaction. I hope there is a luxury 2-row option.

I too hope there's a luxury 2-row option with recliners ala Maybachs, etc....

I've seen a mule up close and it looks NOTHING at all like the Flex. It looks like it's gonna be a pretty goddamn sleek vehicle.

We saw spy shots a while back..... http://www.leftlanenews.com/lincoln-mkt.html

You whine and complain about a very competent vehicle here and every other message board you post on. It is a very well executed product that hit the market when automobiles as a whole are selling horrendously.

How is this vehicle overpriced?

What have the production numbers of the Explorer and Expedition been as of late?

With all the options you can get on a Flex here is a few I hope they include on the MKT

• mini-bar w/ice maker and decanters
  • coffee maker
  • power recliners on all 6 seats
  • in addition to heated/cooled seats, built in massage
  • interior matching neck pillows (horseshoe shaped) for rear passengers

If you are going to try and be futuristic, BE futuristic !

With all the options you can get on a Flex here is a few I hope they include on the MKT

• coffee maker

Well, if talking about the "luxury" 2 row model, I like these....maybe it'll be a starbucks store in your car, rather than a coffee maker?

Anyways, how about as you mentioned power 10-way seats for all positions, except the rear seats, as I said above would have 2 extra ways (recline up and down). Oh, and the heated/cooled and massaged seats should be on ALL four seats.

I like your thoughts.

That is what 40-50% off will do. Anyone who doesn't buy a 2008 Ram has something wrong with them. 35K truck for 17K and a lifetime powertrain warranty.

+1

Best looking fullsizer on the road, of course not much out to compete with in the "looks" dept. these days....

Edited by Armada Master

+1

Best looking fullsizer on the road, of course not much out to compete with in the "looks" dept. these days....

Well, since looks is all that matters in the full-size truck department. Dodge must really be setting the world on fire with the RAM if they have to take 40-50% off sticker to sell them. :ohsnap:

i like the flex from a design standpoint....the purple one i looked at tonight (are the cpying yoda with that white fj40roof) however did not impress on gas mileage and the cloth interior looks cheap....the gas mileage is far better then the expy and may be that a good thing for a large family trading off the waste away expy

ps...my local dodge dealer had no 08 rams on the lot while the ford guy had a few with quite a few edges sitting collecting dust...1 new mustang which was the warriors in pink edition..not for me but the chicks should dig those pink stripes..its really slow out here in the corn belt

There is no "Purple" option

They will also have the new 7 seater C Max Stateside in 2011 to complete.

http://dikarockz.blogspot.com/2008/07/hot-...x-7-seater.html

ford_c_max_news_image.jpg

Edited by Ford Jellymoulds

• coffee maker

I think you need to follow the lead of Maybach or Rolls so that you put in luxury items, and not gimmicks.