Ford may give Lincoln a C-Segment compact & small SUV

LINK

Ford may give Lincoln a compact

Jamie LaReau

Automotive News

September 4, 2008 - 12:30 pm ET

LOMMEL, Belgium -- Ford Motor Co. is considering a compact, or C-segment, vehicle for its Lincoln luxury brand, product development chief Derrick Kuzak said today.

"We do think that there is room for a smaller car in the Lincoln brand," Kuzak, group vice president for global product development, said at a press event here. He would not discuss specifics.

When Ford replaces the Escape crossover early next decade, the company is expected to bring out a Lincoln companion at the same time. Suppliers and analysts expect the C-segment Ford Kuga crossover sold in Europe to be the basis for those vehicles.

:reading:

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with J-150 before everyone thinks Cavalier/Cimmaron. If Lincoln stick to the plan of all unique style, it has potential and this could allude to the end of Mercury.

yup...leave the c-class to ford.....Focus size should be the SMALLEST avail size to LM...in fact THEY should get the focii convertible variant.....they NEED to move their ENTIRE image upmarket...

yup...leave the c-class to ford.....Focus size should be the SMALLEST avail size to LM...in fact THEY should get the focii convertible variant.....they NEED to move their ENTIRE image upmarket...

Getting a reskinned Focus (even if it is a cutesy cabriolet) is going to move Lincoln-Mercury UPmarket? :headscratch:

Getting a reskinned Focus (even if it is a cutesy cabriolet) is going to move Lincoln-Mercury UPmarket? :headscratch:

yup...but only if the same product is NOT avail down the road at ford.......they each need their OWN identity....lincolns version of the flex is case in point, it rules OUT cross shopping......

I would rather see Lincoln stick to larger and mostly RWD cars. Use Volvo to sell high volume, overpriced small FWD cars. That way Lincoln will stay American Luxury and Volvo European Luxury. They won't compete against each other.

I would hope by now that Ford has figured out that nobody gives a crap about "American" vs "European" luxury. They need to build luxury cars, period. Trying to fit a vehicle into some sort of geographical mold will not help anything. I mean really, would you rather Lincoln be selling a car that can compete toe-to-toe with a Mercedes S-Class or a Cadillac DTS? :rolleyes:

Dumb, dumb, dumb.

Basically they are getting rid of Mercury in order to turn the future Lincoln into what Mercury used to be. Well, actually it is worse than that - they are turning Lincoln into a trim line of a Ford.

Hmm, should I buy the $18,000 crackerbox Ford, or the $38,000 crackerbox Lincoln with a little shinola on it? That really builds long term brand equity, but when you are worried about paying the electric bill next year, you do desparate things.

Dumb, dumb, dumb.

Basically they are getting rid of Mercury in order to turn the future Lincoln into what Mercury used to be. Well, actually it is worse than that - they are turning Lincoln into a trim line of a Ford.

Hmm, should I buy the $18,000 crackerbox Ford, or the $38,000 crackerbox Lincoln with a little shinola on it? That really builds long term brand equity, but when you are worried about paying the electric bill next year, you do desparate things.

not if sheetmetal and "luxo" content differ enough........

not if sheetmetal and "luxo" content differ enough........

Exactly. If Lincoln does get a Kuga-based CUV, I'm assuming it will be at least as different as the MKT is from the Flex...if not more so.

They'd need to go further if they're going to go as low as a Focus though. Heck, I'd give the Focus Cabriolet to the FORD brand just as it is. Give the FORD brand a little bit of polish too.

Edited by NickF1011

I think Lincoln shoudl DEFINITELY offer a C-segment vehicle. I just think it shoudl be RWD, and Mercury should offer a FWD vehicle based on the Focus platform. Lincoln needs an IS/3-series fighter. Keeping Lincoln large will only hurt it in the long run. Large no longer equals luxury. Small can be just as luxurious - and far more appealing in the days of $4 gas.

I think Lincoln shoudl DEFINITELY offer a C-segment vehicle. I just think it shoudl be RWD, and Mercury should offer a FWD vehicle based on the Focus platform. Lincoln needs an IS/3-series fighter. Keeping Lincoln large will only hurt it in the long run. Large no longer equals luxury. Small can be just as luxurious - and far more appealing in the days of $4 gas.

If a person can afford a Lincoln and not afford gas, their priorities are screwed up to begin with.

I mean really, would you rather Lincoln be selling a car that can compete toe-to-toe with a Mercedes S-Class or a Cadillac DTS? :rolleyes:

I would rather have Lincoln produce two cars that can compete with each, considering the price-points.

As to C-size, there has to be a visible display that the car is superior to other C-size sleds; this means more than putting a Cadillac grill on a Cavalier, for example. If it shares A-pillar and cowl with other Ford product, it must have a different roofline.

It won't be a big seller, but people do buy full-load A-4's, and they aren't cheap. :)

for anyone thinking this is a bad idea, I leave you with:

BMW 1 Series

MB C-Coupe, B Class

Audi A3

Volvo C30

Hold your horses. The Volvo C30 is not a sucess, the Audi A3 does OK in EUROPE, ditto the B class and the 1 series is a BMW.

We are talking here about a US car maker trying to sell a small car, by US standards to just a couple of markets. This is a very hard market to do well in and it's littered with failures. Look at the Mondeo X type for example. Lincoln needs to prioritise entry into new markets not small cars.