• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

FLM C-segment break down:

Americas/Worldwide

Ford Focus/Ford Focus

Ford Escape/Ford Kuga

Mercury Capri/Ford Coupe and Cabrio

Mercury whitespace/Ford C-Max

Lincoln C-segment (RWD)/Lincoln C-segment (RWD)

Lincoln C-SUV (RWD)/Lincoln C-segment (RWD)

Just make Lincoln different...

If a person can afford a Lincoln and not afford gas, their priorities are screwed up to begin with.

It has nothing to do with being able to afford the gas or not. It's all about managing your expenses properly. Spending $4/gal on a car that gets 15 mpgs for your daily driver is a waste of money when you can buy some really good cars that average 22-24 mpgs like the IS, 3-series or C-class.

There's also the whole "eco" image that a small RWD Lincoln would fit nicely with.

I dont have an issue with Lincoln offering a C-segment vehicle, as many automakers do it, but will Ford execute it properly where it doesn't become a Cimarron issue?...Thats my concern.

I have said before taking a Volvo S40 and address the common complaints and make it truely competitive would do well, but the reason BMW and MBenZ do well with thei entry vehicles is because of other factors, and their ingredients as to what works for THEIR brand. Lincoln will not have the cache they do, so the vehicle will need to possess something different, to make it different. If not, it'll be stillborn.

Ok so now, you know where all this will lead to...

"What do you want out of a C-segment Lincoln, what should it be like"...

So go for it....

Fit and finish. Flush side window glass. This sled has to look smooth, finished, or it's all a waste.

Now, it's going to cost the same as a MK Z, just about. The luxury stuff doesn't know how big the car is. If say, a MK Z tops at $45K, the MK Mini might top at $40K.

But, it's narrower and shorter. Taller?

2-dr coupe or 4-dr?

This is a vehicle for down-town condos and downtown parking. What people in Montana want is not too important.

I would hope by now that Ford has figured out that nobody gives a crap about "American" vs "European" luxury. They need to build luxury cars, period. Trying to fit a vehicle into some sort of geographical mold will not help anything. I mean really, would you rather Lincoln be selling a car that can compete toe-to-toe with a Mercedes S-Class or a Cadillac DTS? :rolleyes:

The other luxury cars sell to some buyers because they are European cars. If Lincoln tries to tell them that they are the same as the European cars, they will fail. American luxury might be a mistake. You don't want to associate Lincoln with being a heavy, big, slow car that does not handle. Lexus is what Lincoln should be aiming at. I think it appeals to the most buyers. Just don't admit it. They should pretend to be something different rather than just copying the best.

LOL................

Well, if you want to really make it different, just stick the 6.8L V10 in it. It has plenty of horsepower, and can pull stumps with the torque. Heck, it could even have a towing package with this.................. imagine your c-class car towing a tent trailer. LOL

Now you would have something truly different................ and useful. hehe

From Autoblog: http://www.autoblog.com/2008/09/05/brabus-...to-super-sedan/

If Mercedes can do it, maybe a 6.2 in the MK C would be a real mover.

000_brabusc63amgab_opt.jpg

BRABUS, the German tuner of all things Daimler, has laid its hands upon the C63 AMG and somehow teased out an additional 73 horsepower from the sedan's 6.2L V8. With a BRABUS badge on the back, the C63 AMG produces 530 hp and 479 lb-ft of torque, up from 457 and 442, respectively. Called the B63 S performance kit, the engine mods include free-flow high-performance metal catalysts, sport air filters and new programming for the ECU with custom mapping. With everything in place, the BRABUS C63 AMG can hit 62 mph in just 4.1 seconds and ultimately top out at 197 mph. Of course, the rest of the sedan has been beefed up to support the engine with components like a BRABUS performance brake system, 19-inch wheels and a height-adjustable BRABUS coil-over suspension. Finally, the German tuner has a whole catalogue of interior and exterior accessories to set your B63 S apart from stock C63 AMGs.

The other luxury cars sell to some buyers because they are European cars. If Lincoln tries to tell them that they are the same as the European cars, they will fail. American luxury might be a mistake. You don't want to associate Lincoln with being a heavy, big, slow car that does not handle. Lexus is what Lincoln should be aiming at. I think it appeals to the most buyers. Just don't admit it. They should pretend to be something different rather than just copying the best.

I can agree with that assessment pretty well.

As long as they are trying to immitate someone else, they won't do well. Instead of trying to be better than Lexus, or better than Cadillac, or better than Mercedes, they should just focus on being the best Lincoln that a Lincoln can be. So far, they are showing hints of going in that direction, but I think it'll be another 1-2 generations of vehicles before they get there. In other words, if they keep going on the pace they are, the 2018 MKS may be a fully competitive vehicle. :banghead:

We're talking about a C-size vehicle here. When the MK S finally gets EcoBoost and a BIG jump in power, IMHO, a lot of the "MK S not ready for prime time" crap will fade with the tire smoke, judging by the Ford workers' reaction to EB test-drives recently.

Now, back to the MK C.

Some want something like an Infiniti 35 or a Lexus IS or some kind of Acura competitor, with sporty capability: RWD, V-8.

Yet, as has been pointed out, the luxo import buyer has a reluctance to consider domestic.

My stupid opinion is that the MK C should be the next Town Car. It should be a C-size tall sedan, 4-dr, with NO sporty pretension, but loaded with EVERY luxury option conceivable (glass roof, hell glass everything)... IMHO, hybrid-only would be fine.

This isn't about IS or 3-series sporty performance or putting a Lincoln grill on an RS Focus. If Lincoln wants to go there, a 400hp EcoBoost AWD MK Z with big Brembo's will do rather well.

My 2¢. :)

Edited by Edstock

I think there should be 2 versions of the C car, a coupe and a sedan. I am not sure why everybody here wants a V8 in a Focus sized car.. a V6 TF (Isn't that the name for the performance version of EB? or did they change that?), I4 TF and highly tuned I4 for the coupe. The sedan should be more luxury oriented.

Ford should bring the computer controlled suspension (forgot the correct name) like in the C1 Focus or so says the manuals for my car. (like the S80 Volvo and BMWs)

The I4 TF model fully loaded shouldn't go over 33K, anything more than that is just ridiculous for a C-car.

The I4 TF model fully loaded shouldn't go over 33K, anything more than that is just ridiculous for a C-car.

You may be right, especially with an I-4. However, Audi, with its A-4, plus MB's C-class and the 1 and 3-series BMW suggest that there are people who will pay more than $33K for a C-size. B-size MINI's go for that, and they sell.

We're talking about a C-size vehicle here. When the MK S finally gets EcoBoost and a BIG jump in power, IMHO, a lot of the "MK S not ready for prime time" crap will fade with the tire smoke, judging by the Ford workers' reaction to EB test-drives recently.

Now, back to the MK C.

Some want something like an Infiniti 35 or a Lexus IS or some kind of Acura competitor, with sporty capability: RWD, V-8.

Yet, as has been pointed out, the luxo import buyer has a reluctance to consider domestic.

My stupid opinion is that the MK C should be the next Town Car. It should be a C-size tall sedan, 4-dr, with NO sporty pretension, but loaded with EVERY luxury option conceivable (glass roof, hell glass everything)... IMHO, hybrid-only would be fine.

This isn't about IS or 3-series sporty performance or putting a Lincoln grill on an RS Focus. If Lincoln wants to go there, a 400hp EcoBoost AWD MK Z with big Brembo's will do rather well.

My 2¢. :)

No way! I want at least two more CUV's!