Ford Flex Flopping

BORG

The 2005+ Mustang looks much like an updated 1968 Mustang = not original (though I really like the car)

The 2005+ Chrysler LX's look like a cross between a Lincoln Mark VII and a Bentley, but cartoonized = not original

The Mini Cooper looks like the old Mini Cooper = not original

The Hummers look like the military Hummers = not original

So, what makes your opinion of original or not original any more valid than mine. Face it, it isn't. Everyone who sees a Flex in the flesh, thinks it looks like nothing else on the road. However, you have to be right............... everyone else is wrong, and only you are right. :rolleyes:

A Mustang looks like nothing else current on the market.

The Chrysler LXs look like nothing else currently on the market (300 is Bentley-ish, but who can afford one?)

The Hummers look like nothing else currently on the market.

A mini-Cooper looks like nothing else currently on the market (well except NOW for the Flex)

And on and on.

I find it interesting that the only platform style you find acceptable is a BOF RWD chassis. Does this mean you are as much of a dinosaur as the only cars that you like are???

Along with all the B-O-F truck drivers out there I guess, how is the Ridgeline BTW?

I did find it refreshing that you actually hate something more than the D3's............ the problem is, I don't see you on GMI in every Impala thread. You need to play fair, and annoy another board equally.

I don't hate D3's, I hate the money Ford has repeatedly wasted on them instead of investing where they should have in the Panthers.

I don't visit GMI because there is nothing GM offers that interests me anymore, the new Camaro was an "almost" til I found it was basically a reskinned GTO. If I want an Australian car, I'll go to Australia. GM has ruined their trucks copying Ford and Dodge's and failing miserably doing so.

I frequent CVN, 9C1.net, and the Impala SS forums. Oddly enough, out of all of those forums and their hundreds, even thousands of members, this is the only forum where I've ever had anyone inform me that I am annoying.

Edited by Armada Master

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A Mustang looks like nothing else current on the market.

The Chrysler LXs look like nothing else currently on the market (300 is Bentley-ish, but who can afford one?)

The Hummers look like nothing else currently on the market.

A mini-Cooper looks like nothing else currently on the market (well except NOW for the Flex)

And on and on.

Along with all the B-O-F truck drivers out there I guess, how is the Ridgeline BTW?

I don't hate D3's, I hate the money Ford has repeatedly wasted on them instead of investing where they should have in the Panthers.

I don't visit GMI because there is nothing GM offers that interests me anymore, the new Camaro was an "almost" til I found it was basically a reskinned GTO. If I want an Australian car, I'll go to Australia. GM has ruined their trucks copying Ford and Dodge's and failing miserably doing so.

I frequent CVN, 9C1.net, and the Impala SS forums. Oddly enough, out of all of those forums and their hundreds, even thousands of members, this is the only forum where I've ever had anyone inform me that I am annoying.

You really think the C/V in more original looking than the Flex??? Just stop it. Calling a car original, because nothing else looks like it? So the Taurus is ground breaking then? And yes, you are VERY annoying. Do you do nothing but talk about the Crown Vic on the Impala forums, or maybe they're just better at ignoring you than we are.

I don't like unibody front wheel drive cars period. As far as I am concerned they are inferior in almost every way to B-O-F RWD sedans....except gas mileage in the smaller models. I don't hate the D3's, but Ford did blow Panther development money on the wrong horse and the bell needs ringing about that obviously, and they continue to do so instead of learning from their error. The WWD sedan I personally hate is GM's W-Impala.

Just FYI: The "wrong horse" you speak of was not the D3s. It was the original Explorer, the Explorer Sport Trak, and the aero F-150. Blame Jac the Knife. The Panther was already long in the tooth by the time the D3s rolled around. And the D3 was obviously a Taurus replacement - compare the styling of the Five Hundred with the '04 Taurus.

BTW, separate BOF from RWD. The large RWD Chryslers have been unit-body since the '60s.

(on topic) The only Flex I've seen so far was a Platinum Tri-Coat on a dealer's lot. The color does not do it justice.

Just FYI: The "wrong horse" you speak of was not the D3s. It was the original Explorer, the Explorer Sport Trak, and the aero F-150. Blame Jac the Knife. The Panther was already long in the tooth by the time the D3s rolled around. And the D3 was obviously a Taurus replacement - compare the styling of the Five Hundred with the '04 Taurus.

BTW, separate BOF from RWD. The large RWD Chryslers have been unit-body since the '60s.

(on topic) The only Flex I've seen so far was a Platinum Tri-Coat on a dealer's lot. The color does not do it justice.

I've got a Black one on my lot with the silver roof, and it looks GREAT. The two tone roof treatment really sets these things off.

Edited by chiefstang

I am in the market. If Ford still had the Freestar/Windstar, we would already have ordered one.

We have, and will keep having, three vehicles. My Focus gets me to work. Jeep is the "backup", and Explorer is the main family vehicle. My plan was to keep the Explorer (paid off next March), keep the Focus (paid off), and replace the Jeep with a new family vehicle when we turn the lease in (also next March). Instead of replacing the Explorer as the main family vehicle, we are now thinking of buying another Focus for the third car because there is nothing Ford has that meets our wants/needs to replace the Explorer. We were hoping the Flex would be that vehicle.

Personally, I wish Ford could sell as many Flex's that OAC could build on three shifts. They really need the money right now. Unfortunately, I don't think it brings the "gotta have it" attitude to people that are looking at new vehicles right now.

Maybe you should wait and see what Ford does with the Explorer. Isn't a new one just around the corner?

Maybe you should wait and see what Ford does with the Explorer. Isn't a new one just around the corner?

That is our plan right now. When the Jeep goes back, we will probably purchase another Focus. The one I have right now is getting up in miles. Hopefully before it's paid off, something else becomes available from Ford that fits our wants.

All the CUV are about keeping the former SUV market viable.

Did former SUV buyers really need an SUV or did they buy because cheap gas made them viable?

Good question, I think people liked the ride height (Better visibiltiy) the lack of stigma (vs a minivan or wagon) and the "toughness" they allude...and low gas prices enabled that.

You really think the C/V in more original looking than the Flex??? Just stop it.

I didn't say that, I think the CV's are more unique (chassis) than the unibody FWD D3 and every other unibody FWD sedan out there. But that's just an opinion.

Calling a car original, because nothing else looks like it?

Call it unique, rare, or whatever, the point is, they are not a Camry or Accord.

So the Taurus is ground breaking then?

In 1986 it was.

And yes, you are VERY annoying.

Wah...

Do you do nothing but talk about the Crown Vic on the Impala forums, or maybe they're just better at ignoring you than we are.

Nope.

Well, I can't stand the box on wheels look so it is hard for me to like the vehicle. I know that I am not in the primary target market ( soccer moms ) so it may do just fine. I am a 45 year old male and would never even consider one...

My main worry with this vehicle is that it's looks are directly copied from the Scion Xb and the Honda Element. Both of these are Fad cars. The "box on wheels" fad is now a few years old. I wonder how long the fad will last? Also, the young people who seem to love this "box on wheels" look probably cannot afford a Flex. I would be a little worried if I had to rely on soccer moms who are trying to be "cool" for sales. In reality, most scoccer moms would still be better off with a true mini van with sliding doors. It also does not offer any better gas milage than a mini van or the many SUV styled mini vans . Other than it's unique ( an polarizing) look, it really does not offer any significant advantage. I am simply not sure enough soccer moms will be interested in the flex...

I hope it does well, but I do worry that It may be a vehicle with very limited market appeal.

My main worry with this vehicle is that it's looks are directly copied from the Scion Xb and the Honda Element. Both of these are Fad cars.

Two things...

I've seen all 3 on the road, and one would have to be ab-so-lute-ly BLIND (or an anti-Ford nut) to confuse the two. Aside from the basic shape, it's way too easy to distinguish among the three which is which.

And the Flex IIRC was never meant to be mainstream or disposable... if that were the case, the interior would be crap.

Two things...

I've seen all 3 on the road, and one would have to be ab-so-lute-ly BLIND (or an anti-Ford nut) to confuse the two. Aside from the basic shape, it's way too easy to distinguish among the three which is which.

And the Flex IIRC was never meant to be mainstream or disposable... if that were the case, the interior would be crap.

I currently own an Edge, in the past I have owned a mustang, F150, Mariner, and Ranger. If you think I am an anti-ford nut you are an idiot....

The basic shape of the vehicle is exatcly like a Scion Xb.... Sorry but that is my opinion.....

I currently own an Edge, in the past I have owned a mustang, F150, Mariner, and Ranger. If you think I am an anti-ford nut you are an idiot....

The basic shape of the vehicle is exatcly like a Scion Xb.... Sorry but that is my opinion.....

Many, many people have made the Flexy = xB comparison.

Anybody who doesn't see the similarities is blind.

Edited by P71_CrownVic

What the hell am I talkin about I love the Sexy Flex,its amazing.

Oh yay...my alter ego is back!!!

---------------

I suppose you are not going to MAN UP and just reveal your real identity are you? Nah...you don't have the balls to...

Oh well, keep posting, I enjoy your weak attempt at public mockery. It does not work.

And you have yet to answer my question...what is a p7l Crown Vic? Ford never made a p7l CV.

Edited by P71_CrownVic

It's only flopping because the cost of labor to produce what would be a $18,000. car produced in japon or any other country. also the gas milage compared to a scion xb is less . I use my xb as a rolling office complete with computer,stand and a printer . I like the boxie shape of the scion because it makes a great rolling buildboard for my company and being 6'1 200 lbs I needed leg room . Same reason I like the flex and its bigger. I could see paying what they want for it if only it where a hybrid or got better milage. I average 110-150 miles aday all on back roads and within 2o miles of my home I needed a vehicle that gets good milage makes a good build board and is comfortable to drive the flex almost made it .