Name for Mercury's C car

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, Ford is the one that used Maverick, which Mercury's version was called Comet.

So, I vote for Comet too.

Ooops, I apologize, I just google image searched Mercury Maverick and saw pictures pop up with Maverick/Mercury highlighted, so thought it was a former Mercury model. I didn't read the full caption that said Ford Maverick/Mercury Comet.

Thanks for clarifying that.

• 3 weeks later...

MODE or....

MOOD

As I posted before, "mode" translates as "fashion" in French. Perfect for the stylish psychographic Mercury is chasing.

"Mood" is the name of a fabric store featured on Bravo's "Project Runway," of which Saturn is a sponsor. Again, it's another fashion-oriented name.

Edited by buyacargetachec

Problem with the Marlin name is that is a fish and Mercury is a Greek Messenger of the Gods...

Hence, Mercury Messenger makes sense, sort of. Capri, was more than a little Mazda powered sport convertible from down under. It actually refers to a European vacation sand box, and is quite romantic to most women. In that sense the Capri makes lots of advertising sense. I doubt that many people remember the four seater from Germany in the late 70's or the Mustang derived coupe (I owned one from 84 to 90, an RS V-8 ).

Meteor was a Fairlane alternative for a couple of years, and then it was taken over by the Comet that grew from Falcon size to Fairlane size, but that was from early in the 60s'. It doesn't really make any sense to use Meteor or Comet as they are not romantic, or sexy things except to maybe a few astronomers...

I say Messenger for common connectivity of naming. And Capri for being sexy and fun!

Naming ideas for Mercury's Focus-based car anyone?

In general, the "M" naming-scheme seems like a nice, inexpensive way to add some cohesiveness to a 3-car lineup. Also, any name should seem at least somewhat fashionable or exotic to appeal to the fashion-conscious 20 or 30-something women to whom Mercury is targeted.

Assuming that it ends up being a 4-door notchback my vote goes to "Mode" or "Modus." An exception would be "Capri" if it ends up being a 2 door or a convertible.

Thoughts?

Comet

Park Lane

M1

Medallian

Magellan

Mercury is also the sign of the cat.

Cougar

Panther

Sphinx

Lion