Ford NA Comments on Fiesta Diesel

LSFan00

"But a Ford dealer smells opportunity after hearing even his parts department counter staff talking about the diesel Fiesta. His conclusion: "The demand appears to be there."

One writer says he will be back in the market by 2010 or 2011 and a diesel VW is the current front-runner. "I would love to have more to choose from.""

Don't listen to those pesky consumers Ford!

Jetta Trounces Prius

Edited by LSFan00

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ford can bring a Fiesta ECOnetic into the NA market very easy. When production begins in Mexico's Culculitan assembly plant of the new Fiesta, I would suggest importing between 5K-10K of the diesel motor from Dagenham for installation into a NA Fiesta as a "trial balloon" to see if it indeed would sell here. If all goes well and it does sell, Ford already has a diesel engine plant in Mexico that could start manufacture of this motor on this continent for use in future Fiesta and Focus models.

This is far less expensive than importing the entire car from the UK.

And yes, I know that the UK ECOnetic is a Focus, but if Ford is really serious, then it should roll out a Fiesta version 1st.....

Edited by twintornados

I would think a 3 Cylinder Ecoboost could beat the fuel efficiency of a 4 cylinder Diesel, if Ford was to put enough effort into it. You could add a lot of technology to an Ecoboost engine and still be cheaper than a diesel.

Some people want a diesel just because they thing they are more reliable. I don't think they would be in the market for an overpriced version of the Fiesta.

Depending on the cost of the car, I myself would be very interested in an Econetic Fiesta. $20,000 and I'm there.

If it's $25,000 though, I would be much less interested.

Once you convert imperial gallons to US gallons the Econetic really gets about 54 mpg, still outstanding. And I seriously doubt any Ecoboost would match that number.

Edited by White99GT

Once you convert imperial gallons to US gallons the Econetic really gets about 54 mpg, still outstanding. And I seriously doubt any Ecoboost would match that number.

Ford's superb Econetic fuel consumption is

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2008/07/fo...iesel-63mpg.php

Average Combined - 76.3 UK MPG = 63.3 US MPG

Constant 56 MPH Highway - 88.3 UK MPG = 73.5 US MPG

Gotta say l really would like to see Ford sell the Fiesta in US it would kill off a lot of Honda and Toyota sales the Focus Econetic sales are up by +38% in Europe this year, sales of all Focus models in general have dropped by about -9% as whole this year in Europe.

Edited by Ford Jellymoulds

I would not buy one myself if its 20K. Its getting into hybrid range and you can still buy a cheapo focus for 13 or 14K and the difference will buy a lot of gas. Give me the gasser throw away please.

That using UK prices bet you would not want to pay $41,000 for a UK Toyota Prius which is double the price of a Fiesta, and l bet you don't have to pay $38,000 for a Focus like we do in the UK.

http://www.whatcar.com/car-comparison.aspx...7&ED3=53726

That using UK prices bet you would not want to pay $41,000 for a UK Toyota Prius which is double the price of a Fiesta, and l bet you don't have to pay $38,000 for a Focus like we do in the UK.

Wow, I had no idea they were that expensive over there. They may go up here like the earlier poster said soon with gas out of control.

Wow, I had no idea they were that expensive over there. They may go up here like the earlier poster said soon with gas out of control.

Yes lifes a bitch in Europe its a big shame Ford can't sell the Econetic in the US it really would damage Toyota and Honda, if VW can now do it why can't Ford gotta say l would like to see Ford kick Japs arse..

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/09/19/first-d...agen-jetta-tdi/

Depending on the cost of the car, I myself would be very interested in an Econetic Fiesta. $20,000 and I'm there.

If it's $25,000 though, I would be much less interested.

$20,000.00! That about the cost of a Prius. I would buy a Prius, get much better city mileage and have a lot more room.

Just subsituting an EcoBoost for a Diesel won't give you better fuel economy. I really wonder how close you would get by using 3 cylinder. You would save money by not paying for the Diesel and not paying for the extra cylinder. The cost savings of EB could buy you maybe an advanced 8-speed dual clutch transmission. Or a mild hybrid. I would think that for the cost of a diesel, you could get both and still be cheaper. I would think either one combined with a 1.0 L EB would give you better fuel efficiency than a diesel.

The wife has been bugging me the last 3-4 days about getting a diesel bug. I of course jumped all over her and touted vw reliability...but she said it's because it's not a ford isn't it? I said..yup. If it's not a ford it's not allowed in the driveway. She's driving a 06 freestar and loves it, 25mpg is good too. But with the job she has now, she'll be putting about 30,000km's or more a year on a vehicle and 60mpg is a big jump from 25. As far as room, we always take my 4 door f-350 on family outing anyway so the van is actually redundant now.

If ford sells a diesel car (anysize) I will buy one. period. My truck is diesel and I love it. There are loads of diesel haters on here, good for you. It works for me and if it is offered I will buy one, not say I would like it and not buy one, but actually buy it.

What is the price of gas in the U.K. now?

Prices per UK Litre - Unleaded is £1.10 ($2.04) a litre and Diesel £1.22 ($2.26) a litre. A lot of folk with big SUV's are now finding it worth their while having their diesels converted to run on Diesel/LPG dual fuels as LPG is half the prices of unleaded, l don't know how cheap LPG is on your side of the pond but it pays to have the conversion done here is you are thinking long term.

UK Petrol Prices for

Tuesday 23rd Sep 2008

Avg.Min.Max.

Unleaded:110.6p 104.9p 125.9p

Diesel:122.3p 115.9p 137.9p

LRP:116.1p 110.9p 120.9p

Super:117.4p 108.9p 133.9p

LPG:58.8p 49.9p 63.9p

http://www.petrolprices.com/

$20,000.00! That about the cost of a Prius. I would buy a Prius, get much better city mileage and have a lot more room.

Just subsituting an EcoBoost for a Diesel won't give you better fuel economy. I really wonder how close you would get by using 3 cylinder. You would save money by not paying for the Diesel and not paying for the extra cylinder. The cost savings of EB could buy you maybe an advanced 8-speed dual clutch transmission. Or a mild hybrid. I would think that for the cost of a diesel, you could get both and still be cheaper. I would think either one combined with a 1.0 L EB would give you better fuel efficiency than a diesel.

I would buy the Econetic Focus Stationwagon it has a lot more room in than a Prius, it is a lot cheaper to buy new and apart from the loads of extra space you get in the Econetic Focus its engine will last twice as long, won't need expensive battery replacements somewhere down the line, and on the highway the Econetic Focus is sooooooooh much better fuel efficeincy 78.3 UK MPG (65.1 US MPG).

Ford's superb Econetic fuel consumption is

http://www.treehugger.com/files/2008/07/fo...iesel-63mpg.php

Average Combined - 76.3 UK MPG = 63.3 US MPG

Constant 56 MPH Highway - 88.3 UK MPG = 73.5 US MPG

Gotta say l really would like to see Ford sell the Fiesta in US it would kill off a lot of Honda and Toyota sales the Focus Econetic sales are up by +38% in Europe this year, sales of all Focus models in general have dropped by about -9% as whole this year in Europe.

So all of the 65 mpg headlines were correct? Shocking.

Ford Focus ECOnetic has led a 38 per cent sales surge in the first half of this year generated by Ford's sub-120g/km CO2 vehicles – all powered by Dagenham's 1.4/1.6 TDCi engines.

http://www.greencarsite.co.uk/GREENNEWS/Ne...%20Econetic.htm

Fords big +38% Econetic Sales rises in Europe are turning Toyota and Honda green with envy as they see their sales slump by over 20%

The article states that the Econetic Fiesta does 0-60 in 12 seconds. Now, add California emissions equipment and an automatic transmission. I'm guessing 0-60 in 13 to 14 seconds? IIRC, the current US Focus does 0-60 in the high 8's.

US Focus high 8's is very good but the Enonetic is more geared for economy like the Prius and Econetic Focus Stationwagon that are both near to 11 seconds.

Prices per UK Litre - Unleaded is £1.10 ($2.04) a litre and Diesel £1.22 ($2.26) a litre. A lot of folk with big SUV's are now finding it worth their while having their diesels converted to run on Diesel/LPG dual fuels as LPG is half the prices of unleaded, l don't know how cheap LPG is on your side of the pond but it pays to have the conversion done here is you are thinking long term.

With exchange rates and litres to gallons conversions, you are paying the equivalent of $7.98 CDN for a gallon of unleaded.

Your cars AND gas are a lot more expensive than over here.

I would buy the Econetic Focus Stationwagon it has a lot more room in than a Prius, it is a lot cheaper to buy new and apart from the loads of extra space you get in the Econetic Focus its engine will last twice as long, won't need expensive battery replacements somewhere down the line, and on the highway the Econetic Focus is sooooooooh much better fuel efficeincy 78.3 UK MPG (65.1 US MPG).

I can see why Europeans are buying diesel. For the US, add the cost of urea injection to the price and servicing cost. Add the cost primium of diesel fuel. I assume the US government gives some tax breaks to the Prius that it does not give to diesels.

With exchange rates and litres to gallons conversions, you are paying the equivalent of $7.98 CDN for a gallon of unleaded.

Your cars AND gas are a lot more expensive than over here.

Thanks for working it out gotta say l would not know where to start with the conversion, your right we are getting ripped off in Europe.

Here is a list of various European countries fuel prices compared to yours in the US, yours are the lowest surprise surprise by a long way.

http://www.theaa.com/onlinenews/allaboutca...ptember2008.pdf

I can see why Europeans are buying diesel. For the US, add the cost of urea injection to the price and servicing cost. Add the cost primium of diesel fuel. I assume the US government gives some tax breaks to the Prius that it does not give to diesels.

Prius gets lots of tax breaks in the UK so do Fords diesels as Europes legislation is more based around CO2, l know where your coming from its not easy or cheap thing for Ford to do in the US, its a shame though because l think if Ford could make it work and pay the rewards would be great Toyota and Honda get hurt the most.

Still legislation is not cast in stone in the US things to change, and if it does change favour diesel one day you find you using 30% less Arab oil which would help the US trade deficit and leave more money in your pockets to to spend in the US economy rather than lining the pockets of some Saudi-Oil Sheik.

Actually the Prius does not get tax breaks in USA (tax credit runs out once a car maker has sold 60,000 vehicles) whereas for example the new VW diesel does.(Again each manufacturer is limited to 60,000 units sold before the rebates come to an end.)

Regarding the prices for things in the UK, find an on line source with UK average salaries and then compare to same job USA average salary.

I did a quick search and used travel agent as an example, but used Canada as my comparison to UK

In Canada a travel agent trainee will have a starting annual salary of around $18,000, whereas in the UK it is $42,000.00. Amounts I have listed in my example are Canadian $.

Edited by MKII