Spy Photos Of 2011 Ford Explorer, Car-Based Mule

JalopnikMatt

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not an insider, so take all of this with a grain of salt.

1) Yes, looks like an Explorer prototype.

2) I'm pretty sure it will be a 2011 model. These mules suggest that an early 2010 launch (March-ish) is likely assuming nothing slips, but I suppose it's possible this program will magically finish by the end of 2009.

3) Will a car-based Explorer sell? Probably. It will turn off the hard core buyers who specifically want a RWD BOF utility vehicle. But it will recapture some of the millions of Explorer owners who bought the truck for its overall comfort and utility combo - not brute towing capacity. That said, I would expect towing numbers between 4500-5500 lbs when it debuts, taking care of probably 99.9% of the loads that an Explorer has ever towed.

Not an insider, so take all of this with a grain of salt.

1) Yes, looks like an Explorer prototype.

2) I'm pretty sure it will be a 2011 model. These mules suggest that an early 2010 launch (March-ish) is likely assuming nothing slips, but I suppose it's possible this program will magically finish by the end of 2009.

3) Will a car-based Explorer sell? Probably. It will turn off the hard core buyers who specifically want a RWD BOF utility vehicle. But it will recapture some of the millions of Explorer owners who bought the truck for its overall comfort and utility combo - not brute towing capacity. That said, I would expect towing numbers between 4500-5500 lbs when it debuts, taking care of probably 99.9% of the loads that an Explorer has ever towed.

I think it will sell. Especially if it does the following:

1) Match or exceed the current Explorer's interior size & towing capacity.

2) Has seating for up to 8 (that means 3 wide 3rd row seating), if not, people will go the the Traverse or Minivans.

3) Has similiar HP numbers with better fuel economy (an EB 2.5 should do better then the old 4.0 and an EB 3.5 should do better then the 4.6)

2) Has seating for up to 8 (that means 3 wide 3rd row seating), if not, people will go the the Traverse or Minivans.

3) Has similiar HP numbers with better fuel economy (an EB 2.5 should do better then the old 4.0 and an EB 3.5 should do better then the 4.6)

Oh boy! Another CUV! I hope it's at least 2 or 3 nanometers bigger than the Flex.

Kill the taurus x and it would do fine priced below the Flex.

Then why buy a Flex?

One of these vehicles is completely useless...either the Flex or the Explorer.

I know...why not try the renaming thing again and rename the Flex...Explorer?

Edited by dsime653

The Taurus X is the dead cat here. The Flex is, for lack of a more apt description, a replacement for the Taurus X. The Explorer replaces the current Explorer and will have significantly different styling and characteristics that will shift its appeal to a different market than the Flex. In all likelihood, the Explorer wil be more the size of a Pilot or Highlander with the rear seats crammed in there and the ride height will be signficantly higher while the Flex remains more family-friendly hauler with larger rear seats and a lower ride height.

Edited by focus05

Then why buy a Flex?

One of these vehicles is completely useless...either the Flex or the Explorer.

I know...why not try the renaming thing again and rename the Flex...Explorer?

A Flex is a low slung CUV. The next Explorer will be a car based SUV (like the Escape). It will be taller, wider and shorter then the Flex. If it retains the utility of the current Explorer and maybe gain a 3 wide 3rd row, it won't even be compared to the Flex. The Flex will be the "people mover" (minivan replacement) and the Explorer will be the SUV.

These are the same people bitching about why Ford has the Edge and Escape when the Edge Launched. Keep in mind the Taraus X is dead after next Spring with the new Taurus launching.

Plus with the Explorer, it will take care of all those people bitching that the Flex is too expesive. I can see the new Explorer starting out at in the mid-to-High 20s and Toping out at 45K or so for Limited Models.

seems like the Flex is what the Taurus X should have been all along.

Now for this uni explorer. My 2002 is rated at 7000 lbs towing. It pulls my 21 foot travel trailer (4,500 lbs) just fine, but I would be hesitant to replace my explorer with a vehicle rated at 4,500lbs. If Ford wants me to upgrade they need to keep the tow rating above 5K lbs. The Expedition, while nice,(and pricy) won't fit in my tiny garage.

seems like the Flex is what the Taurus X should have been all along.

Now for this uni explorer. My 2002 is rated at 7000 lbs towing. It pulls my 21 foot travel trailer (4,500 lbs) just fine, but I would be hesitant to replace my explorer with a vehicle rated at 4,500lbs. If Ford wants me to upgrade they need to keep the tow rating above 5K lbs. The Expedition, while nice,(and pricy) won't fit in my tiny garage.

I'm with you FastTaurusSHO...my 2002 Explorer is used for camping, pulling a utlilty trailer, vacationing and I do not want the size of an Expedition. We will see, I think that I will not be able to replace my Explorer with a vehicle as capable as what I have now.

some facts for some bashers....a MAJORITY of buyers ( hell I would venture to say 95% ) don't give a rats about A) Body on Frame, B) towing over 3500lbs & C) offroad prowess. D) even add performance to an extent ( how else can Honda sell substandard 4 cylinders in 6 cylinder segments and get BALSTED for lack of 60 mph and up performance ) More important are cosmetics ( styling ), design, conveinience, value and image. ( oh, now add Mpg's to the hot button list ) Cudos Ford for going where the $ are and ( sadly ) ignoring the small % of passionates, but please don't ignore the diehards when it comes to sedans with sporting pretentions....

some facts for some bashers....a MAJORITY of buyers ( hell I would venture to say 95% ) don't give a rats about A) Body on Frame, B) towing over 3500lbs & C) offroad prowess. D) even add performance to an extent ( how else can Honda sell substandard 4 cylinders in 6 cylinder segments and get BALSTED for lack of 60 mph and up performance ) More important are cosmetics ( styling ), design, conveinience, value and image. ( oh, now add Mpg's to the hot button list ) Cudos Ford for going where the $ are and ( sadly ) ignoring the small % of passionates, but please don't ignore the diehards when it comes to sedans with sporting pretentions....

No bashing Deanh, just the facts. I have seen the Freestyle-Taurus X and Flex answer a question no one was asking. I just would like a vehicle that has close to the capability that i now have but with better gas mileage and the new greatly improved Ford interior.

No bashing Deanh, just the facts. I have seen the Freestyle-Taurus X and Flex answer a question no one was asking. I just would like a vehicle that has close to the capability that i now have but with better gas mileage and the new greatly improved Ford interior.

well size-wise, the Explorer will slot neatly right around the Pilot/Highlander - some of the best selling 7 passenger crossovers - it will be a question many people are asking. the GM Lambdas are a LOT larger in all dimensions - which gives them some advantage, but it seems people equate sizewith inefficiency (despite reality) and shun them. The Flex will be about 5 inches longer and about 5 iinches lower to the gound that the Explorer.

The Taurus X was a wagon and people caught on to that - and shunned it. The Flex is Ford's attempt #2 at the Wagon, this time trying to make it funky, but we shall see whether it will work. The Explorer will finally be a mainstream crossover the way Edge is - high off the ground with SUV pretense - something people still seem to love. No more trying to get people into wagons.

Igor

Edited by igor

well size-wise, the Explorer will slot neatly right around the Pilot/Highlander - some of the best selling 7 passenger crossovers - it will be a question many people are asking. the GM Lambdas are a LOT larger in all dimensions - which gives them some advantage, but it seems people equate sizewith inefficiency (despite reality) and shun them. The Flex will be about 5 inches longer and about 5 iinches lower to the gound that the Explorer.

The Taurus X was a wagon and people caught on to that - and shunned it. The Flex is Ford's attempt #2 at the Wagon, this time trying to make it funky, but we shall see whether it will work. The Explorer will finally be a mainstream crossover the way Edge is - high off the ground with SUV pretense - something people still seem to love. No more trying to get people into wagons.

Igor

I feel your and Bravestars comments make sense. Simply put, the new interiors and gadgets and effects we see now will be spread across the board. Taurus X is a very effective vehicle but never caught on so we have the Flex love it or hate it. What ever happens with the Explorer, I'll wait to see but I'm positive about it.

Edited by Hugh

It looks alot like a Freestyle

It's hard to tell if it looks anything like the concept.

I think it will sell if it gets good fuel economy

They should try to shoot for 20 city and atleast 30 highway...that's going to be hard but I think they can do it.

Its an engineering mule, The Flex looked like a Freestyle with some funky looking extensions on it

I seriously doubt that it will have a range of 20 city/30 highway, more like 22-30 or so

How about FleXplorer X??? :hysterical: :hysterical: :hysterical:

I would call this mule Flexaurus (Re)X

------

I'm really impressed with the panel gaps on this picture: :hysterical::hysterical:

http://jalopnik.com/photogallery/10fordexplorer/1004146012

(I know it's a mule)

------

And look....dual (split) exhaust.......hmm.....EcoBoost? or maybe just looks, either way, I approve.