Autoblogs Top 10 Cars That Don't Deserve Their Engines

Richard Jensen's list of the top 10 'rags that don't deserve their press passes:

Autoblog

Jalopnik

Motor Trend

Car & Driver

Business Week

AutoWeek

Fortune

Money

Edmunds

New York Times

TTAC (assuming they even get invites to Ford press events)

LA Times

Automobile

Ooops. Is that more than ten? Well shoot, I guess I can't count.

Edited by RichardJensen

My beef with the Marauder was that it shouldn't have been a niche vehicle, rather, the engine should have been phased into all panthers, specially Town Cars. The 210-220Hp seemed embarrassing next to a Cadillac Northstar. As for the Taurus SHO, they obviously didn't take into equation WHAT was the competition out there. If they think the vehicle was junk, they should have driven the competition which was laughable. The competition couldn't handle that type of power...they were playing with 135HP I-4s at that time.

I'm not even in the States and I can tell that article is nothing but crap.

There's only one car i can comment about on that list:

The first Taurus saved Ford's bacon and sold in droves for a good reason - it was a good car.

Conversley, the SHO engine had a problem that cost owners dearly when the cam drives failed.

Any journalist worth his salt knows this stuff, how could this buffoon get it so wrong!

Hmmm.... that was interesting.

I think they left a few out:

1. 1995 to 1999 Nissan Maximas

2. Buick GNX (awesome car by the way)

3. 2004-Present Acura TSX (deserves an RWD chassis like the S2000)

4. 1998-2002 Lexus GS300

5. 1999-2002 Chevrolet Silverado w/285 hp 4.8L V8. Tons of power in a small fuel efficient motor. Should have used it everywhere.

6. 2006-Present Toyota Camry w/268 hp 3.5L V6. 0-60 6.1 sec (MT)

:stirpot:

I'm not even in the States and I can tell that article is nothing but crap.

There's only one car i can comment about on that list:

The first Taurus saved Ford's bacon and sold in droves for a good reason - it was a good car.

Conversley, the SHO engine had a problem that cost owners dearly when the cam drives failed.

Any journalist worth his salt knows this stuff, how could this buffoon get it so wrong!

I think the 2nd SHO engine had the cam problem, not the first.

But then, you're not a journalist, so you can be forgiven your ignorance.

I think the 2nd SHO engine had the cam problem, not the first.

But then, you're not a journalist, so you can be forgiven your ignorance.

Thankyou for the correction, I knew it was one of them.

All those early Tauri were brilliant little cars, our EA-ED Falcons followed the styling too.

I drove one of the 1990 series II (?) versions in 1993 whilst in your country and it was just

like a FWD version of our Falcons of the same era - a very familiar feeling indeed!!

ea.jpg

Edited by jpd80

Yep, the early SHO Yamaha V6s were bullet proof... the clutch was it's weakest link (and FWD in general). Fun car!

The only problems I had with my '95 (other than normal wear items) was the crank position sensor (which is a BITCH to change) and the EGR "tube" (for lack of a better term) in the intake manifold kept clogging. That too was a BITCH to fix. I finally found that B-12 Chemtool and compressed air did the trick!

"Ford actually flew Taurus shells to Japan to have the Yamaha 3.0L V6 installed and then flown back."

Is this really true? Or are the journalist misinformed. Seems rather expensive to fly every SHO there.

The entire time I owned my '95 ('94 - '01), I participated in an online SHO forum and this is the first time I've ever heard that one.

The entire time I owned my '95 ('94 - '01), I participated in an online SHO forum and this is the first time I've ever heard that one.

If that factoid is wrong, it wouldn't strike me as odd coming from AB. That site is almost as bad as Edmunds when it comes to reporting accurate information. I seriously question if their bloggers even read through the comments there.

If that factoid is wrong, it wouldn't strike me as odd coming from AB. That site is almost as bad as Edmunds when it comes to reporting accurate information. I seriously question if their bloggers even read through the comments there.

Yeah, I'm not surprised either. They aren't the best sources of reliable information.