2010 gt500

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

And something about them moving that Cobra badge is driving me crazy. It'll definitely take some getting used to - I know such a little detail shouldn't bother me that much, but it does for some reason. When I first saw the picture of the front end, I said something's strange with that emblem.....I then read about how they swapped sides with it for the cold air intake they put in.

I don't see an issue with the Cobra badge moving to the left side (looking at the front). The '67 badge was on the left:

post-9380-1230859104_thumb.jpg

I love that Grabber Blue with the White Stripes! Just add some painted louvers on those quarter windows, and it's all set. Now, where did I put my piggy bank... :headscratch: You guys will bail me out of jail, right???

I haven't driven a KR, but the regular GT500 was a blast. The extra 40 HP in new GT500 can't hurt!

The new clutch sounds like a great & much needed improvement. The old GT500 clutch was pretty heavy & stiff. It wouldn't be much fun in any traffic.

All in all, excatly what I was expecting. With the improvements made in the interior for the new model year, and the suspension improvements that were worked in, this vehicle, as a whole, is actually worth $40K+. Also, with the additional aero bits, and the new sleeker look that the new body style has, this is a substantially better looking Shelby GT500 than the last one. And, while I would have loved for them to swith to a lighter engine, really, what choices were there for ford to use in their stables? The aluminum 5.4L DOHC block from the GT is out of production. The 5.0L isn't ready for mass production quite yet. There isn't even a DOHC 4.6L in production at the moment. I'm not entirely sure that the current DOHC heads from the 5.4L are even compatible with the aluminum 4.6L block from the current mustang GT. If they are, then, perhaps there could have been a twin turbo 4.6L DOHC in there instead of the supercharged 5.4L, but, I'm not sure that that would have been much of an improvement, and would have been a development headache to say the least.

...The aluminum 5.4L DOHC block from the GT is out of production.

So what would be so hard to put the block back into production? From what I understand, block casting is outsourced, and since it existed in the GT project I see no reason to assume it couldnt be resourced from it original supplier. I know the wet sump alumninum block is available through Ford Racing.

... There isn't even a DOHC 4.6L in production at the moment.

I believe its offred through Ford Racing.

...I'm not entirely sure that the current DOHC heads from the 5.4L are even compatible with the aluminum 4.6L block from the current mustang GT.

From my understanding, there are 3 seperate DOHC heads Ford produced. Well really four. You have the standard 4.6L DOHC heads. These were used in the Mach/Cobra engines as well as the Maruarder. Then you have the 32v Navigator DOHC heads. There are different that the Mustang heads, and have much larger ports. Then you have the Cobra R heads. Then you have the GT500 DOHC heads, that are similar but not equal to the Cobra R. I believe they might be based on the Cobra R design, but tweeked. Not sure if the FR500 series heads are the same as the Mach/Cobra either. If not, that would bring the count up to 5.

If they are, then, perhaps there could have been a twin turbo 4.6L DOHC in there instead of the supercharged 5.4L, but, I'm not sure that that would have been much of an improvement, and would have been a development headache to say the least.

I can't see how this would be a development headache. If anything, it would be easy. The supercharged applications have special intake manifolds that must be designed and produced. You don't need these on a turbocharged application. The modifications you would make to any bottom end are the same regardless of supercharging or turbocharging. So no tweaks there. Outside of the tune, the biggest challenge would be developing the turbo plumbing and figuring out where to put it in and engine bay were there isn't much room because the 5.4L is so big.

Make mine white with blue stripes, please.

I like that combo too, but I do like that blue/white stripes combo.

anyone see the "superman" edition?

i havent seen but jalopnik says they have, its light blue with bright red stripes. sounds cool

edit: heres the quote: Expect paint schemes to range from mild to wild, as we've seen one dubbed “Superman” which puts bright red racing stripes over light blue paint, the effect is both obnoxious and iconic.

I believe some spy pictures a while back were of that one.....also, I think Tim had a chop of one with that color combo (at least I seem to remember seeing one).

I don't see an issue with the Cobra badge moving to the left side (looking at the front). The '67 badge was on the left:

Oh, I know it's not an issue. I just think it looks a bit strange at first....but like anything, I'm sure I'll get used to it, then it'll probably look strange on the right if they ever put it there again.

I can't see how this would be a development headache. If anything, it would be easy. The supercharged applications have special intake manifolds that must be designed and produced. You don't need these on a turbocharged application.

A twin turbo set up with front mounted inter cooler is a nightmare to plumb,

especially when everything is already rather fitty under the hood.

With a short, narrow 60 degree V6, there's much more room to work with.

Well, I like it. Its hot in that grabber blue with white stripes. Good job Ford.

They might have 10,000 pre orders but I think that GM's Camaro will push S**t up hill

against the '10 Mustang - the whole range is pretty solid, V6 market is not performance critical.

They might have 10,000 pre orders but I think that GM's Camaro will push S**t up hill

against the '10 Mustang - the whole range is pretty solid, V6 market is not performance critical.

I agree. The Camaro will of course appeal to the GM faithful but I just don't see that many converts coming from the Mustang camp.

That's the problem with GM, same cars repeated over and over, trim levels pretending to be makes.

Prune that lot out and they're no bigger than Ford - it's all fill for car rentals and fleets.

Ford has $26 billion debt ($10 billion unused credit) and $130 billion Ford Credit customer loans.

GM has $45 billion plus what ever the government gives them - and they still need to downsize.

Downsizing cost Ford about $15 billion so, guess who will be back for more?

Edited by jpd80

Well, I like it. Its hot in that grabber blue with white stripes. Good job Ford.

i agree..problem is at $51k for the 2010 who will be able to afford?????..and its not like this market segment is growing..i guess that 15K strong group can trade off there 07's-09's and get the 2010...that i suspect is what will fuel 2010 sales..fact is the pony market at $51k is just damn small....money just aint there anymore

i agree..problem is at $51k for the 2010 who will be able to afford?????..and its not like this market segment is growing..i guess that 15K strong group can trade off there 07's-09's and get the 2010...that i suspect is what will fuel 2010 sales..fact is the pony market at $51k is just damn small....money just aint there anymore

That's why they make them in limited numbers.

Well, me either but I can understand those that do. It's a very cool ride.

yes it it..i suspect by 2011 when the new powertrains arrive it will be over $55k......thats just crazy for a stang..but WTH..if those people want 700 bux a monthly payment its there business and there pain every month

yes it it..i suspect by 2011 when the new powertrains arrive it will be over $55k......thats just crazy for a stang..but WTH..if those people want 700 bux a monthly payment its there business and there pain every month

They probably pay cash........