When will we know about December's sales?

That is Ford's predictions for next year and industry-wide numbers for December, not it's December sales numbers.

here is my guesstimates...ford down 32%....GM down 38% and cerbus down 43%...find out monday on all 3

ps: that new cabellas F150 is sure to save f150 sales...come on ford just build a damn truck and forget all the foo foo editions

Edited by snooter

here is my guesstimates...ford down 32%....GM down 38% and cerbus down 43%...find out monday on all 3

Yea, GM and Chrysler are going to be down more than Ford, some of it because of their still possible bankruptcies are affecting people's decisions. Ford will steal some GM/Chrysler sales as a result.

People are still losing jobs, losing asset values on their houses and stocks, and the consumer confidence is down big time. Last thing people are thinking is a new car. I am sure the old one will do fine for the next few years.

But with the new year brings a new president, new hope. Time will tell, but I think 10-11 million vehicles for next year is likely. Who knows, if more people lose jobs, it might be less than 10.

The national sales figures will obviously reflect overall sales figures but the "Employee Pricing PLU$" campaign has generated additional showroom traffic in the Northeast, at least in Connecticut. My CT Dealership has enjoyed an increase in December showroom traffic and sales thanks to our latest 2009 Fusion television campaign. We sold a good number of Fusion models but also other new Ford's to customers that thought that if we were selling new Fusions at such a good price that we were also selling other Ford vehicles at similar savings. We sold three vehicles yesterday, New Year's Day, and sold another three by early this afternoon. There were three vehicles being delivered off the showroom floor alone today!

We're running very low on inventory for certain vehicle lines now, especially F-Series. As Ford Dealers' inventory gets reduced it will cause Ford to increase production for those vehicle lines. The point is that the manufacturers count the sales and book the profits as the vehicles are sold and delivered to Dealers. And within the next couple of months Ford starts production of the all-new 2010 Fusion and Mustang to be followed by the all-new 2010 Taurus, etc. I'm confident that in the next few months, a lot of people are going to start asking themselves why they haven't driven a Ford lately!

I think 2009 will be better than predicted a lot of the gloom and impending disaster predictions

will dissipate when banks lending and auto financing increases.

In order for Ford to keep their volume at 2008 level, their 16% of a 16 million market has to

become roughly 19% of a 13 million market. I see this as a likely scenario - they may do even better!!!

The reason I say that is because I believe Ford is at true market size, GM and Chrysler are not.

Those two will give up most of the market volume - GM down 40% and Chrysler down 48%.

Edited by jpd80

I read somewhere where a Ford rep said down 35% for december.. I'll try to find it.

It was on another board. Somebody just copied and pasted it, no link.....

DETROIT -- Ford Motor Co. expects industrywide December U.S. auto sales to drop by some 35 percent from a year earlier with no sign of a turnaround in the first quarter of 2009.

Ford expects that full-year industrywide sales of light vehicles in the world's largest market will drop to near 13.2 million for 2008, down from near 16.2 million in 2007, Ford's chief sales analyst George Pipas said today.

The only other time the U.S. auto industry has seen a similar 3-million unit plunge in sales over the course of a single year was during 1974 in the wake of the first oil shock, Pipas told reporters.

"We're not looking for the first quarter to be much different from what we saw in the fourth quarter," Pipas said in a briefing with reporters.

Automakers report their U.S. monthly sales results on Monday, Jan. 5.

Edited by Hydro

I think Ford will get a bigger slice of a very,very small pie.

In a down market, increasing market share is probably the best outcome we can hope for. Thankfully, Ford has some exciting high quality offerings and an opportunity to make some conquest sales and some new Ford fans.

Edited by Mark B. Morrow

This from Bloomberg:

Ford Sees December Industry Sales Down as Much as 40% (Update2)

By Alex Ortolani

Jan. 2 (Bloomberg) -- Ford Motor Co. said U.S. auto sales industrywide fell 35 percent to 40 percent last month, meaning total purchases of cars and light trucks for 2008 will be about 13.2 million units, the lowest since 1992.

Automakers are trying to sell vehicles in “some of the worst conditions we’ve seen in three decades,” said George Pipas, a sales analyst for Dearborn, Michigan-based Ford. A lack of credit for buyers and weak consumer confidence have hampered auto sales, he said.

Ford expects to increase market share in the U.S. as vehicle sales have plummeted 16 percent last year through November, Pipas said. The automaker told the U.S. government it has enough cash to continue operating this year, and wasn’t part of a $13.4 billion federal rescue package for competitors General Motors Corp. and Chrysler LLC.

In December 2007, the seasonally adjusted annualized rate for vehicle sales was 16.3 million. Ford expects it will be “in the 10 million range” for last month, Pipas said.

Last December, Ford /Mercury/Lncoln sales were approximatly 212,000 so expect 130-140,000.

That is quite a bit better than November's 118,000 - especially if it includes a pack of F Truck sales.

Edited by jpd80

He said an industry wide drop of 35%.

That means the sum total of all US auto sales, from all manufacturers.

He did not speculate on how Ford did.

Yes he did specifically say Ford in a different article on det news - HERE

Ford has seen its market share decline steadily for more than a decade. For the year as a whole, Ford expects to hold on to just over 14 percent of the U.S. market, losing four- or five-tenths of a percentage point. That would be the lowest annual decline in Ford's market share since the 1990s.

Toyota Motor Corp. and Honda Motor Co. are the only two major automakers expected to gain share, Pipas said.

Still, he said Ford's December sales will be down about 35 percent -- a significant drop, but not as bad as the industry as a whole.

Edited by jpd80

Nobody will be up unless there were some serious fleet dumping...It wouldn't surprise me if Toyota did that to spin the numbers to a accepting national media...some of the automobile press would see trough it, but the mainstream media would hail Toyota's bucking of the sales decline.

Nobody will be up unless there were some serious fleet dumping...It wouldn't surprise me if Toyota did that to spin the numbers to a accepting national media...some of the automobile press would see trough it, but the mainstream media would hail Toyota's bucking of the sales decline.

FORD- Down 32%