Officially Official

Only FWD B and C sized cars.

Actually, this is will be 2 different transmissions. One for B size and one for C size.

I would think it would make a great tranny for the Fusion and Taurus as well, also for a replacement for the auto trans in the Mustang as soon as they get a RWD version. Why stop at C?

An ecoboost 2.5 and AWD with this tranny in the next Focus is the way to go..

EB chk.gif

2.5 chk.gif

AWD chk.gif

PowerShift chk.gif

^ that's exactly how I'm imagining the Focus-SVT... 260-300hp

I'd be happy with a 2.0-EB (220-240-ish HP)

and a waterfall grille ;)

I know this is a little off topic but after reading through the AB comments you can't help but realize that the perception of Ford is changing rather quickly with the new product blitz. The current ford management team seems to be making all the right moves. If the economy hadn't tanked i believe Ford would be in a good position this year. New technologies like Ecoboost and DSG trannies and world class quality will not go unrewarded by the market place.

It states, 9% better fuel economy, but compared to what, over the 4speed they compared it with in the previous sentence? I mean, if thats it, its really just 3% better than the new 6 speeds if thats the case.

Will there be a unit for RWD? I would figure, thats where Ford needs to extract the most FE from...

Will it be standard or optional on Fiesta?

Since it has the best aspects of manual and automatic I think it should be the only tranny available. That would make it cheaper to build.

Good question ! For now, at least, I think both will be available.

It will never be cheaper to build. Heck it has 2 clutches plus electronics !

Fuel Economy is EXCELLENT ! 2+ years ago the PowerShift was as good or BETTER than a manual in some phases of the EPA tests.

It states, 9% better fuel economy, but compared to what, over the 4speed they compared it with in the previous sentence? I mean, if thats it, its really just 3% better than the new 6 speeds if thats the case.

Will there be a unit for RWD? I would figure, thats where Ford needs to extract the most FE from...

Ford might be underestimating numbers just a little.

Heavier cars really need the torque multiplication of a torque converter to "launch" the car.

...Not to mention a heavier car, or a performance application, would fry its internal clutches. They'd have to go to a wet-clutch design, like the rest of the industry, to safely handle much more torque than the 4 cylinder engines put out.

Wet clutches are less efficient, though.

Swizco

...the unit is sealed for life, requiring no regular maintenance." :happy feet:

That's basically what they said about the 5r55w in the 02 Explorer (I believe it was supposed to be good to 150,000mls). Hopefully they're right this time...

Mine is on it's 3rd. at 70,000 miles. Not to get too off-topic, but what exactly went wrong with that design?

I know this is a little off topic but after reading through the AB comments you can't help but realize that the perception of Ford is changing rather quickly with the new product blitz. The current ford management team seems to be making all the right moves. If the economy hadn't tanked i believe Ford would be in a good position this year. New technologies like Ecoboost and DSG trannies and world class quality will not go unrewarded by the market place.

True, but I'm sure if they posted an article that was negative about Ford, you'd see all the doubters come racing out the closet.

That's basically what they said about the 5r55w in the 02 Explorer (I believe it was supposed to be good to 150,000mls). Hopefully they're right this time...

Mine is on it's 3rd. at 70,000 miles. Not to get too off-topic, but what exactly went wrong with that design?

My parents V6 EB gave up the ghost around the same time

My sisters 06 V8 Limited has been pretty good and gets traded in this summer...

...Not to mention a heavier car, or a performance application, would fry its internal clutches.

More likely spin the tire which would just tel the "throttle by wire" system to shut the throttle.

They'd have to go to a wet-clutch design, like the rest of the industry, to safely handle much more torque than the 4 cylinder engines put out.

Wet clutches are less efficient, though.

I believe the transmission for the C sized car will be wet clutch.

I don't buy your statement that wet clutches are "less efficient". Biggest issues are size, weight and heat dissipation (the fluid moves the heat away from the clutches quickly, but what do you do once the fluid starts getting too hot ?)

True, but I'm sure if they posted an article that was negative about Ford, you'd see all the doubters come racing out the closet.

This is a little off topic, but does anyone know what type of transmission was put in the new SuperDuty? I remember reading an article that said they changed the tranmission a year after they redesigned it to increase fuel economy. Thanks.

I don't buy your statement that wet clutches are "less efficient". Biggest issues are size, weight and heat dissipation (the fluid moves the heat away from the clutches quickly, but what do you do once the fluid starts getting too hot ?)

By efficient, I mean two things. First, stronger holding power per unit of size and weight, with which you seem to agree.

Second, having parts reciprocating in oil inherently increases drag more than parts reciprocating in air. therefor, dry clutches are inherently more efficient, as they add less parasitic driveline drag.

What do you think?

Swizco

My parents V6 EB gave up the ghost around the same time

My sisters 06 V8 Limited has been pretty good and gets traded in this summer...

If I remember correctly, this is due to the V6 and V8 model Explorers running different trannies. At least the 2nd Gen Explorer with the 4.0L & 5.0L had different trannies. Couldn't say for sure about the 3rd Gen models though.