Ford Investing $400 Million Into MTP

Do you guy's think Ford Europe's smaller cars will sell in the US? The Focus's natural rival in the UK is the Vauxhall Astra (note ASTRA). This car is said to have bombed as a Saturn product. Why would the Focus do much better?

I guess what I'm not entirely understanding is why I read comments like "Fiat's small cars won't sell in the USA" and at the same time read FOE's cars will. Is the small car really coming of age in the US?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you guy's think Ford Europe's smaller cars will sell in the US? The Focus's natural rival in the UK is the Vauxhall Astra (note ASTRA). This car is said to have bombed as a Saturn product. Why would the Focus do much better?

I guess what I'm not entirely understanding is why I read comments like "Fiat's small cars won't sell in the USA" and at the same time read FOE's cars will. Is the small car really coming of age in the US?

The astra bombed here because...

The ion had been so much cheaper and return buyers didnt like the price hike

Lake of good options

bad fuel economy

limited engines

only hatches offered.

did you completely miss the responses to the fiesta? Bottom line, 400 mill invested is a true sign of CONFIDENCE....a REALLY great thing to witness given all the doom and gloom the media is constantly force feeding our unquenchable thirst for bad news ,gossip and conspiracies....

Edited by Deanh

^^^

Theyll end up needing the space when the economy improves and for the Compact Mercury, C-Max, Transit Connect, and Concept C.

I don't think this would work or will be necessary; they can be merged into the new plant and if more volume is needed, a third shift could be added.

Once the new flow is set up, the old plant is effectively cut off and would require megabucks for a new body shop, and new paint shop, and a totally revised trim and final. So basically, an all new plant.

You could use the old plant for some specialized work perhaps (like the BEV Focus), but my assumption is that Ford will want to mainstream that model as much as possible.

I just don't see a real use for the present WAP at all, particularly with Louisville coming on line later as a c-car plant.

Now, it's all on the auto sites such as Leftlane and Autoblog, I cannot believe the things people post. Someone was calling for an all Hybrid and Electric lineup from Ford. Wait a sec, didn't B.F. Jr. call for 250,000 hybrids/year and people were screaming for his head? Some people I tell you! It's all about timing and some logic...please? Anyone?

Please please please please don't bring back the Mystique name.. sounds like something you'd find in the feminine aisle!

Mystique is a viable name that can still provide some appeal to the Mercury name...besides, it seems that the main focus of Mercury is to the fairer sex anyway....

It bombed because it was a Saturn.....

Because the car will be tuned for US tastes instead of being half-assed like the Astra was. Why do you think its taking so long to bring over the Fiesta, besides not having plant ready for it?

Define small car...cars smaller then a Focus won't sell in large numbers in the US and that seems like most of what Chrysler is getting from them, then add in the odd-ball styling that they have and they won't be big player in market...they'd be lucky to sell 50K or less of any of the models they have coming over here in their current form.

I don't think this would work or will be necessary; they can be merged into the new plant and if more volume is needed, a third shift could be added.

Once the new flow is set up, the old plant is effectively cut off and would require megabucks for a new body shop, and new paint shop, and a totally revised trim and final. So basically, an all new plant.

You could use the old plant for some specialized work perhaps (like the BEV Focus), but my assumption is that Ford will want to mainstream that model as much as possible.

I just don't see a real use for the present WAP at all, particularly with Louisville coming on line later as a c-car plant.

Well remember before the recession hit Wap was a full capacity with the current Focus wand was quicking running out of room. Ford was worried that it wouldnt be able to keep up with demand. Now with an all new and much better Focus + all these other models that need to go on it, they will need some more room.

Well remember before the recession hit Wap was a full capacity with the current Focus wand was quicking running out of room. Ford was worried that it wouldnt be able to keep up with demand. Now with an all new and much better Focus + all these other models that need to go on it, they will need some more room.

...And gas was over $4.00 a gallon. Since the price of gas has come down to more normal levels, Focus have dropped back to lower numbers. They are making more then enough with two shifts now. Building 2,3 or 4 different models out of MAP is the only thing that will sustain three shifts...Unless gas goes back above the $4 mark.

Wouldn't it be funny if low gas prices meant the Focus leveled out and the Fusion was a run away hit.

I wonder what Ford would do then..........

It can't happen, WHEN not IF prices rise again We should see both models rise.

understand this.

We will have 3 Car plants

KCAP, LAP and MAP.

Each will have 200-225k of production on 2 shifts for 600-675k of production If you add a 3rd crew you can add 300-350k of C-car production. for 900-1,025k of C-car production.

In other words, we would need to have >1.3 million units of C or CD production that could not be sourced at another plant to Gut and refurbish WAP.

Of course, That does not rule out WAP for another product line in the 2012-2013 time frame. there are economies of scale being next The MAP, unions, support, Etc.

It is true that the WAP and MTP have been combined into MAP.

But the WAP building that presently is used for Focus paint, trim, and final will lie fallow when MAP is finalized. Paint, trim, and final for the next-gen Focus will move over to the former MTP plant which has a more modern paint shop. And if I understand correctly, the body shop will be in the former MTP body shop facility.

The only part of the former WAP that will be used is the stamping facility on the south side of the RR tracks.

All of this will require a well choreographed dance during model changeover, but I would think it could be very smooth with early build of the new model happening concurrently with buildout of the old model.

2011 WAP will be used for Electric Vehicles..

also the plan at MAP will be to run more than just the focus, they want the plant running 3 shifts making multiple vehicles.. Ford wants to get the max capacity out of the remaining plants, its cost effective.

Edited by oogravyoo

I'm hearing that WAP will be converted to a supplier park and warehouse for MAP. There is talk about having a seat and IP lines installed. They are trying to do as much work onsite as possible to save on trucking cost.

This makes sense to me. There's not a lot of room on the total site to make a full-fledged supplier park, but WAP can be considered just a big available building that could be cleared out as required to house some subassembly buildup such as IP's and seats, or potentially suspension modules. And potentially electric car subassemblies, or even total electric car assembly as oogravyoo mentioned above.

If the prior WAP is used by suppliers, there is going to have to be some delicate negotiating with the UAW. The key question is "Is the old WAP plant part of MAP?" Having suppliers -- even if they are UAW -- work inside the plant is a no-no, and if it were Magna (which is staunchly anti-union), it likely would be a non-starter. (Pioneer, I hope I didn't make you spill your coffee.)

The more I think about it, I can see the potential of WAP being carved off into a separate business entity.

understand this.

We will have 3 Car plants

KCAP, LAP and MAP.

Each will have 200-225k of production on 2 shifts for 600-675k of production If you add a 3rd crew you can add 300-350k of C-car production. for 900-1,025k of C-car production.

In other words, we would need to have >1.3 million units of C or CD production that could not be sourced at another plant to Gut and refurbish WAP.

Of course, That does not rule out WAP for another product line in the 2012-2013 time frame. there are economies of scale being next The MAP, unions, support, Etc.

Remember KCAP is a F-150 plant as well.

I'm hearing that WAP will be converted to a supplier park and warehouse for MAP. There is talk about having a seat and IP lines installed. They are trying to do as much work onsite as possible to save on trucking cost.

that would be great but, how are they going to time it. they will need to shut WAP down to convert it. would you sourrce parts ooff site until the on site facilty is ready. how would work with the timing of MAp, KCAP and LAP ramping up for C-car production?

The MY12 Kuga= the MY12 Escape. :shades:

It could happen, but I would be surprised. Kuga is more CUV than SUV. I can't see Ford walking away from those customers who want a small SUV and letting them go over to Honda, Kia, etc.

That is not to say that there isn't a slot in the Ford (or Mercury?) lineup for Kuga. Also the next gen Escape is likely to use the Kuga platform and powertrains.

It could happen, but I would be surprised. Kuga is more CUV than SUV. I can't see Ford walking away from those customers who want a small SUV and letting them go over to Honda, Kia, etc.

That is not to say that there isn't a slot in the Ford (or Mercury?) lineup for Kuga. Also the next gen Escape is likely to use the Kuga platform and powertrains.

Eh, the only thing "SUV" about the Escape is its profile. Everything else has and always will be "CUV".

that would be great but, how are they going to time it. they will need to shut WAP down to convert it. would you sourrce parts ooff site until the on site facilty is ready. how would work with the timing of MAp, KCAP and LAP ramping up for C-car production?

I agree with Biker. It is a good idea, but the timing doesn't support it, especially with the new Focus being pulled ahead.

Also, some of the Big Wigs at Ford are looking "down the road". If things go really well for Ford, they are going to need another assembly plant in 3-5 years.