Alan Mulally's Crusade to save Ford

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey, settle down there, you desert-dwellers. Have you seen this or this? Personally, I'd prefer Detroit to a whole lot of cities that always show up on the "best places to live" lists.

LOL............. that is pretty cool. Where some see a wasteland, others see opportunity.

Do yourself a favor, and take out an atlas. Look at AZ. You will find that a large part of the state is forest. It is a little known fact. LOL As a matter of fact, we have alot of mountains, and biguns too. :) (not as big as the rockies) Actually a really nice way to see AZ, is to look at a magazine called Arizona Highways. They have beautiful photography.

I am not a desert dweller. I live in a small forest community. We are at 5400ft, here at the house, and in the largest stand of Ponderosa Pine, in the world. We do get snow in the winter. Not enough to be a pain, but enough to be fun. It is usually gone in a few days. I have a view of the Mogollon Rim, from my back deck. It is a sudden uprising, and is about 7200ft at the top. It spreads across appx half of the state. One of my favorite fishing spots, is at Hawley Lake. It is at 8500ft, and is often the coldest place in the nation.

There you go.............. your nickel tour from this "desert dweller." LOL

We are at 5400ft, here at the house

I went to Arches last February, and after me and a friend of mine got back from hiking up to Delicate Arch we were waiting for the rest of his family to get back from Moab.

So we're sitting there and there's this big slag heap (can't think of a better description of it) on the one side of the parking lot, and I'm looking at it thinking, 'gee, I could probably scrabble up to the top of that pretty easily and see what I can see.'

So I clamber up it (it was maybe 80' high) and enjoy the view and then head back down.

(bear in mind I live at about 1500 feet above sea level)

My buddy's family shows up and we take off, and then it hits me..... Nothing like altitude sickness. I swear I could SEE my fingers throb. I thought my head was going to explode......

We went up the Timberline Road in Rocky Mountain once, and I saw this kid RUNNING everywhere (at the visitor center at about 10,500 feet), and I felt sorry for his parents. Once they got him back in the minivan, he was going to be MISERABLE.

(BTW Gloria, watch how you talk up Arizona, people will start thinking you're from Texas..... :P)

Trees in Aridzona? Damn lie I tell ya' Nuthin' here but dust and rattle snakes and scorpions, and scorpions riding rattle snakes through the dust. Yep, sittin' on little rattle snake saddles and wearing tiny scorpion spurs. No water for miles and the heat is so bad your clothes catch on fire. They don't call it the bad lands for nothing. Bad: very very bad. Do not move here. Thank you for your attention. Where did I put my sunglasses and margarita?

Do yourself a favor, and take out an atlas. Look at AZ. You will find that a large part of the state is forest. It is a little known fact.

I thought about that as I was typing, but was too lazy to actually look up Payson and took a chance.

What's up with the free ranging cattle? I thought deer in PA were bad. They can't hold a candle to coming around a blind curve in the Kaibab at 11:00 PM and seeing a herd of cattle in the middle of the road! The brakes on the Grand Cherokee rental will never be the same...

Edited by blksn8k2

What's up with the free ranging cattle? I thought deer in PA were bad. They can't hold a candle to coming around a blind curve in the Kaibab at 11:00 PM and seeing a herd of cattle in the middle of the road! The brakes on the Grand Cherokee rental will never be the same...

That's why our Aussie vehicles are fitted with bull bars and Roo bars;

1282.png

p12.gif

I went to Arches last February, and after me and a friend of mine got back from hiking up to Delicate Arch we were waiting for the rest of his family to get back from Moab.

So we're sitting there and there's this big slag heap (can't think of a better description of it) on the one side of the parking lot, and I'm looking at it thinking, 'gee, I could probably scrabble up to the top of that pretty easily and see what I can see.'

So I clamber up it (it was maybe 80' high) and enjoy the view and then head back down.

(bear in mind I live at about 1500 feet above sea level)

My buddy's family shows up and we take off, and then it hits me..... Nothing like altitude sickness. I swear I could SEE my fingers throb. I thought my head was going to explode......

We went up the Timberline Road in Rocky Mountain once, and I saw this kid RUNNING everywhere (at the visitor center at about 10,500 feet), and I felt sorry for his parents. Once they got him back in the minivan, he was going to be MISERABLE.

(BTW Gloria, watch how you talk up Arizona, people will start thinking you're from Texas..... :P)

LOL............... Hey, I love my state, what can I tell ya??

One of my favorite places, is Alpine, AZ. It is a tiny town that sits at 8500ft (mixed conifer forest). I love it, because it is a 4.5 hour drive from the Valley, so it is not heavily travelled (ruined). When you head South, out of Alpine, you continue to climb, until you get to Hannigans Meadow. It is a fabulous place, with an old lodge, and old rustic cabins (have stayed at both), and a restaurant. It is at 10,500ft. The first time I went there (I am asthmatic), we were hicking around, and I couldn't figure out why I was so out of breath............ and then I found out how high we were. We like to camp in the middle of the forest............. with noone around, and no facilities. Snow, at Hannigans, is often higher than the first floor.

I will say this................ you sure do sleep good at night. LOL

Another favorite is Greer. The only problem with Greer, is that it is getting too touristy. It is a picturesque town, at 8500ft. We stay at cabins there, and ride bikes. It doesn't take long to get a hell of a workout.

blksn8k2, funny that you mention that. Rick is a truck driver (hubby), hauling propane (recession proof). Another one of their drivers, had to haul a load to Globe, out of Torrence, CA. Heading up 60, to Globe, he went down a hill, around a blind curve (at night), and hit a cow. His truck is now at the shop. At least it was drivable (he still delived, and drove it back to the company). My husband once had a horse walk into his trailer. He did everything humanly possible to avoid it. Apparently the horse was old, and semi-blind. He felt terrible. At least it was quick. Driving up here, the bad one you have to look out for, is elk. They are everywhere (they walk through our neighborhood all the time, and jump the fence, and check out your flowers, to see if there is anything they want). It is really a strain on these guys, especially at night, to watch out for critters. It is especially bad in the winter, when there is too much work, too much weather, and not enough hours in the day (or sleep).

xr78428.................. LOL. No kidding. I don't mind most of the poeople, but can we please keep the liberal Californians away (no offense to liberals). They sell their overpriced houses, move here, and then try to turn us into CA East. :(

xr78428.................. LOL. No kidding. I don't mind most of the poeople, but can we please keep the liberal Californians away (no offense to liberals). They sell their overpriced houses, move here, and then try to turn us into CA East. :(

Keep the 'zonies off our beaches during the summer and we'll call it a fair trade.

Keep the 'zonies off our beaches during the summer and we'll call it a fair trade.

There's a big difference. They are there to visit the beach. The ones that come here, buy houses, and live here. They then start trying to change things.

Note, I am not saying they all do this................. just like I'm not saying they are all bad. Its pretty much like anything else, it is the few, who ruin it for everyone.

We were in San Diego, over vacation with small son, and didn't go to the beach at all. :) Does that make you happy???

Rick is a truck driver (hubby), hauling propane (recession proof). Another one of their drivers, had to haul a load to Globe, out of Torrence, CA.

Small world, our refinery supplies Globe with their propane. :shades:

hell, I'm making the propane right now. 210,000 gallons a day and 380,000 gallons of propylene feed.

Edited by Hydro

There's a big difference. They are there to visit the beach. The ones that come here, buy houses, and live here. They then start trying to change things.

Only people born somewhere are allowed to have opinions... Got it....

We were in San Diego, over vacation with small son, and didn't go to the beach at all. :) Does that make you happy???

Truth be told, the number of times I've been to the beach in the last 10 years I could probably count on my fingers. Too many people...

Edited by Noah Harbinger

Small world, our refinery supplies Globe with their propane. :shades:

hell, I'm making the propane right now. 210,000 gallons a day and 380,000 gallons of propylene feed.

Which refinery do you work for???

My husband drives for AZ Propane, out of Scottsdale.

Noah, I have lived in AZ for 41 of my 44 years. I have never been to the Grand Canyon. Its here............ I can go anytime................ and its not going anywhere. LOL

Noah, I have lived in AZ for 41 of my 44 years. I have never been to the Grand Canyon. Its here............ I can go anytime................ and its not going anywhere. LOL

You sure about that? They were discussing above how Seattle moved next to Detroit..... :lol:

Edited by rmc523

I'm at BP (formerly ARCO) in Carson, CA.

Everythings running awesome right now so I have some serious computer time... all the way until 5:30am. So please don't mind my goofy post or ramblings :happy feet:

How's the SD running?

Running great. :)

Taking it on vacation just made me love it more. What a great highway vehicle!!!

The bitch was getting it home, and having to get all of the bugs off of the grille/bumper/windshield (have to use a ladder on that one). :blink:

I know that Rick has never been there. They just started going to Torrence, and may start going to San Pedro (right San??) soon. Ken had to load at a Valero, because Torrence didn't have any gas, and they told him that if he comes again, he has to have a Twix card (probably wrong name, but thats what it sounds like), which costs $150 and has a background check, and fingerprints................... you know, like you have to do to get your hazmat. :rolleyes: If Rick has to go there, he plans on bringing a Twix bar. :D

Right on, yeah that SD grill is huge. Makes for a super bug catcher :banghead:

Funny, my Dad just retired from Valero last year. If they are going to San Pedro then Conoco might be supplying them over there. The TWIC (Transportation Workers Identification Credential) cards just began this year. It's to help with port security and terrorism. There is also a ban on pre 1989 trucks because of new emission standards. By 2012 every diesel will need a DPF. They have some major "trade in your truck for a new clean burning one" going on. A bunch of gov't loans and what not.

The Twix bar just might get him places, most of our security look like college age kids just working part time :hysterical:

You think maybe he has a place to live while he is in Detroit, but his actually home (place of residence) is in Seattle? Is it that hard to comprehend or are you just refusing to understand? :headscratch:

I have friends that have had to move from Norfolk and St. Louis to Detroit to keep their jobs. I don't remember Ford flying them home to keep their homes.

My point, just when Fields was jet-setting between Detroit and Florida every weekend, is if you want to commute that far it should be on your own dime. Either that or move. Just because you have a gold spoon in your mouth, you shouldn't ask an hourly worker to sacrifice when you wont.