First "New GM'" Ad

The commercial is a slap in the face of every American......never mentions the dreaded "B" word (just...no one wants to "go through this") and states that "at one time, eight brands made sense." Eight brands never made sense....not when they all looked the same....even Alfred Sloan knew that!

The commercial is a slap in the face of every American......never mentions the dreaded "B" word (just...no one wants to "go through this") and states that "at one time, eight brands made sense." Eight brands never made sense....not when they all looked the same....even Alfred Sloan knew that!

Should have a disclaimer in every ad. "Look what we're doing with your tax money whether you like it or not"

No brands left in Europe they sold them all off makes sense for American Leyland.

I've lost count as to how many times GM has claimed they are on a new path. The first "new path" I remember was back in the mid/late 70's. GM was touting the Chevette as the new Japan beater, then the countless campaigns between that and the recent "Road to Redemption". People have been hearing the same line now for 30 years. I don't want to see GM fail but I don't see this new ad helping. The public has grown too cynical of GM.

I've lost count as to how many times GM has claimed they are on a new path. The first "new path" I remember was back in the mid/late 70's. GM was touting the Chevette as the new Japan beater, then the countless campaigns between that and the recent "Road to Redemption". People have been hearing the same line now for 30 years. I don't want to see GM fail but I don't see this new ad helping. The public has grown too cynical of GM.

But at least they employed nearly 700,000 back then in the US how many do American Leyland employ as a jello-mould CAR maker today?

Edited by Ford Jellymoulds

But at least they employed nearly 700,000 back then in the US how many do American Leyland employ as a jello-mould CAR maker today?

Somewhere in the range of 200,000-250,000 directly, and hundreds of thousands more indirectly. You have to also recall that much more work was done in-house in decades past compared to how much of it is done with suppliers now instead, so a direct comparison of payrolls is not possible.

As for jellymoulds....Honda and Toyota seem to get by just fine selling them. It's time to find a new excuse for why they failed. Seriously.

I liked it, but in the grand scheme of things it was forgettable as an advertisement.

I saw this ad yesterday while watching the CBC's coverage of Red Wings vs. Philadelphia and I take back my words. It has some memorability when watched on television.

Edited by Roadrunner

Yea, because that is what will certainly happen................ since they are keeping all of their execs/management intact.

That's why I highlighted "actually". I doubt it will happen without new leadership (and I don't mean bumping someone up from the ranks either).

All we're getting is a smaller version of the old GM, full of guys who think the credit crunch was the

only reason they got caught out and still don't accept responsibility for failing to restructure years ago.

These guys have had a lot of debts wiped away and get to keep doing the same things

and it's all thanks to the American tax payer courtesy of Obama and the treasury.

The ads won't convince anyone who has already decided what the future of GM would be.

There are a lot of loyal GM customers that have heard a lot of bad rumours. They need a lot of reasurance, or they will get scared and leave GM. That is what the ads do. People will still question GM's viability, but they will be willing to go into the show rooms and listen to the dealers side of the story.

Oops, GM just screwed many of their dealers.

The day that GM filed for bankruptcy, I went to the GM website. It said nothing about the bankruptcy. Management knew that GM was going bankrupt, and did nothing to address concerns of their on their customers on the first day. I have no trust at all in GM management at all.

All we're getting is a smaller version of the old GM, full of guys who think the credit crunch was the

only reason they got caught out and still don't accept responsibility for failing to restructure years ago.

And that is a sad fact....fortunately, Ford (Bill Jr to be specific) was wise enough that he knew he needed to reach outside to turn the tide of Ford or else Ford Motor Company most certainly would be in the same boat.....they have a long road ahead....but they can travel it with their collective heads held high.....they did it without going "on the dole".

"Chapter 1"....oh wait....chapter 11......maybe it was 1.1? Damn those tricky decimal places..."

Maybe thats how GM got here in the first place! The tricky math.

Seriously though... this rubs me about the same way as the tacky Chrysler "thanks for your tax dollars" ads back in January.

Until they actually deliver on a product that I'd want to buy, they're not going to convince me. When I was starting to shop last year for a new car to replace my '04 Lincoln LS, I looked long and hard and tried to include GM products on my list. The Chevrolet Malibu Hybrid turned out to be decent on a test drive -- but that's it, decent, lacking what I considered some very basics -- power passenger seat, leather, passenger grab handles, and, worst of all, a spare tire (!). I felt it was clearly inferior to the Fusion I4. Meanwhile, all of the other GM divisions had no decent midsize cars with I4s as an option, even. The Toyota Camry and the Nissan Altima, both of which I also test drove but ultimately did not buy, had some plusses over the Fusion and some minuses. The Malibu, while not a bad car, in my opinion, was clearly inferior to the Fusion (and the aforementioned two Japanese cars -- although I believe that in the '09 model year they made some changes to remedy some of those problems, to their credit) in every aspect that there was no reason for me to consider it over the Fusion. GM needs to be aware that just being decent isn't enough any more. (I came very close to buying a Toyota Camry Hybrid -- but then Ford announced a firm date for the Fusion Hybrid, and therefore I decided to wait for it. So far I'm loving the car. If I were forced to buy a Malibu, either hybrid or gas, I don't think I would have hated it -- but I also wouldn't be loving it, either; it would just be a tolerable ride, not an enjoyable one.)

Edited by nelsonlu