"Ford, Making it on our Own!"

As I read more and more about the bail outs and my tax dollars being squandered, I think that what we need is a groundswell of support for Ford and its people.

How about for starters a nice bumper sticker with the Blue Oval, an American flag and something like.."Making it on our own!"

The only problem with basing any marketing campaign around Ford not taking any federal money is, as many have mentioned previously, what happens if Ford needs federal money at some point further down the road? It could backfire.

Ford has already applied for Federal Money in the form of loan for retooling MAP and LAP next year for small vehicle production. One could certainly argue that is taking federal money. Now if Ford should need federal money to keep going at some later date, it should be a loan just like above, and not be some prologue to bankruptcy like with GM. Ford has proven that it's well managed and knows how to manage money and get bang for the buck. If Congress could finally pass a Cash for Clunkers bill, that would be guarantee IMO that Ford will be able to survive without government loan for continuing operations. Many sales analysts are predicting that this bill could increase sales anywhere from 10%-20%. If Ford could increase sales another 20% through this bill, then that would put Ford close to break even status and maybe even mean a little profit. Don't forget Chrysler will be eaten alive by Ford since they have hardly anything to compete with as far as Ford goes except for minivans and Ram pickup. Focus, Fusion, Edge, Flex, Milan, Escape, Mariner, Mustang, and so on have no competition from Chrysler. Ford has picked up more market share from Chrysler than GM as of late. That alone should carry Ford forward without government loans.

Yes, the way for this to work is for the attitudinal changes to just happen--and I think it already is. Ford shouldn't try to play too hard on this, and neither should any other organized groups. I think most people are already getting the message.

Grass roots on this, just like the tea parties. . . let them rise from the people, with no promotion or real organization by any entrenched entities. Ok, bad example . . .

Ford has already applied for Federal Money in the form of loan for retooling MAP and LAP next year for small vehicle production. One could certainly argue that is taking federal money.

That money would have been available regardless of the state of the automakers though. I see that more as subsidized R&D than anything else, which the automakers have been accepting since the day they were formed. I don't think anyone is complaining about that.

Yes, the way for this to work is for the attitudinal changes to just happen--and I think it already is. Ford shouldn't try to play too hard on this, and neither should any other organized groups. I think most people are already getting the message.

Grass roots on this, just like the tea parties. . . let them rise from the people, with no promotion or real organization by any entrenched entities. Ok, bad example . . .

Yes, bad example, but I agree with you. The change in opinion will come about through people like us telling our friends, and our friends telling their friends, etc. Ford should rightly keep its nose out of it this time.

The only problem with basing any marketing campaign around Ford not taking any federal money is, as many have mentioned previously, what happens if Ford needs federal money at some point further down the road? It could backfire.

I agree with this assessment, although as FordBuyer mentioned, anything they took would be a loan, which was reiterated by Mulally's presence at the Congressional hearings months ago when all three of the CEOs were present, where he was there only to make sure loans would be available if necessary, not in order to ask for a bailout.

Just be a bit more direct

peeonHD.jpg

?

Stay out of it Ford - there's plenty of free advertising going on without saying a thing.

That's true, the media has appeared to be jumping on the Ford bandwagon as of late......just let everything work itself out regarding advertising their independence, I say.

That's true, the media has appeared to be jumping on the Ford bandwagon as of late......just let everything work itself out regarding advertising their independence, I say.

I call it GM mode, do nothing and let others carry you along....... :stirpot:

The message is getting out and attitudes are starting to change. When I look at the comments listed on various stories regarding Ford, GM and Chrysler I see a lot of positive mentions about Ford. If it just gets people to go to a Ford dealer to see the product it will result in increased sales. For years many have been wedded to GM/Chrysler or the imports and wouldn't even look at Ford. The products will sell themselves but people have to look at them first.

The message is getting out and attitudes are starting to change. When I look at the comments listed on various stories regarding Ford, GM and Chrysler I see a lot of positive mentions about Ford. If it just gets people to go to a Ford dealer to see the product it will result in increased sales. For years many have been wedded to GM/Chrysler or the imports and wouldn't even look at Ford. The products will sell themselves but people have to look at them first.

I think articles like the one here:

http://www.blueovalforums.com/forums/index...showtopic=32937

show exactly what we're talking about in this thread.

I hope we are not missing the real target here folks. Maybe we should be more concerned about Toyota, Honda, Nissan, Hyundai, etc. rather than Fiat and a weakened GM. Ford should continue to emphasize its quality equality with "the best in the industry".

I hope we are not missing the real target here folks. Maybe we should be more concerned about Toyota, Honda, Nissan, Hyundai, etc. rather than Fiat and a weakened GM. Ford should continue to emphasize its quality equality with "the best in the industry".

I have no doubt they will continue with that campaign.

Take a look at Ford and Alan Mulally, everything they do is aimed at being better than Toyota.

The past three years have demonstrated what happens when the whole of Ford is dedication to one purpose and one plan.

The bottom line is that people should be buying American branded cars either from Ford for not yet taking bailout money, or from GM. Why GM? Because we own it! If you made something, would you go out and buy it from another company? Oh wait a minute! That's what happened when even the workers at RCA and GE bought Japanese electronics items 40 years ago! How many Toyotas are there in the Big 3 parking lots? Are there still any? I HOPE NOT! After Fiat buys Chrysler, will there still be any govt. ownership? I'm not too clear on that aspect.

Ford has already applied for Federal Money in the form of loan for retooling MAP and LAP next year for small vehicle production. One could certainly argue that is taking federal money.

If Ford were to get that money, it would be in the form of a LOAN.

In contrast, the feds have taken an OWNERSHIP STAKE in both GM in Chrysler. There is a world of difference between the two transactions, it's not even close to being shades of grey.

He was the anchorman for "Channel One", the fifteen minute bit of news-flavored pabulum that was served to captive audiences of high school students in the early 90s. I was there.

I remember that too... Lisa Ling. :hysterical:

But Anderson Cooper is the guy that started the whole "teabaggers" thing, AFAIK.