mkx spied with interior

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The vehicle is a huge improvement. The interior is much better than even the new MKT.

The old MKX is too much of a rebadged Edge and the interior is way too boxy.

The new one has much bigger touch screen. Much more modern, younger and elegant.

To my eye, it beats the best Cadillac, but still looks like a Lincoln.

by a show of hands - thsoe of you with steering wheel controls - how often you actually use the center stack controls?

Me - NEVER - despite the fact that I have a volume knob on the center stack and a button on my steering wheel.

I hope they do not use touch sensitive - that is a bad idea for cars - IMO

Love the center stack and all the new switch gear - nothing but the handle, door lock and side mirror controls are carryover from anything - everything else is brand new for Ford - or from Ford europe.

very nicely done.

Igor

Wow, the interior finally gives Lincoln some original switchgear, but I have a ton of questions. The buttons look tiny!

I'm looking forward to this car, finally the interior divorces itself of the Ford parts bin.

I always use the steering wheel controls, yeppers!

Edited by BORG

Wow, the interior finally gives Lincoln some original switchgear, but I have a ton of questions. The buttons look tiny!

I'm looking forward to this car, finally the interior divorces itself of the Ford parts bin.

they are tiny, but spaced out .. I like the concept it is different, but it is no different, than having giand guttons edge to edge ... this is easier to operate by touch ... you find the nub and push

they are tiny, but spaced out .. I like the concept it is different, but it is no different, than having giand guttons edge to edge ... this is easier to operate by touch ... you find the nub and push

Some of them look less like buttons and more like touch controls. I'm not so sure this is going to fly; unless this improves the UI of the car, people are going to cry "gimmick". I am fascianted by the design, I can't wait to hear more.

It's amazing how dramatically improved the interior is from the outgoing car, especially the steering wheek. Lincoln is not quite there, but the new controls certainly help bring it closer to the rest of the world in terms of design and execution. It's still a reletively conservative design, but I am glad to see some Lincoln trademarks returning, such as the silver painted controls.

I'm still a bit put-off by the design and location of the lower panel because it still resembles the vertical subterannean geography of all Ford cars. I guess I'm looking for a revolution in Ford dashboard layouts and I'm just seeing evolution ;)

Wings over at MT said that the Edge and mkX are the first to receive Fords new interface.

Not exactly what I asked, but thanks for one of the answers. The main question still stands; does anyone know if the switchear seen on his MKX mule look virtually the same on a production Edge model or will Ford be smart enough to differentiate the switchgear enough to not be noticeably the same? Kinda like the differences between Flex/MKT.

As long as the buttons are spaced out properly and backlit properly I'm fine with them.

Steering wheel controls here also. I use my iPod 99% of the time so volume control is what I use mostly.

Not exactly what I asked, but thanks for one of the answers. The main question still stands; does anyone know if the switchear seen on his MKX mule look virtually the same on a production Edge model or will Ford be smart enough to differentiate the switchgear enough to not be noticeably the same? Kinda like the differences between Flex/MKT.

He says they will be totally different. Like the MkZ and Fusion.

Anyone else notice the "+" and "-" buttons on the shifter? Maybe they're ditching the console-mounted shift gate in favor of a rocker button.

I think they figured the little button will be enough for a CUV - as compared to a sedan .. and I am positive it is cheaper to add than a real shift gate or paddle shifters.

I think they figured the little button will be enough for a CUV - as compared to a sedan .. and I am positive it is cheaper to add than a real shift gate or paddle shifters.

Yeah, nobody driving a CUV is going to use a console-mounted shift gate, especially if there are paddle shifters on the wheel, which the car in the spy photos does not appear to have.

Some of them look less like buttons and more like touch controls. I'm not so sure this is going to fly; unless this improves the UI of the car, people are going to cry "gimmick". I am fascianted by the design, I can't wait to hear more.

I can say with 90% certainty that those little pill-shaped "buttons" aren't buttons at all, just the sensor part of the switch that your finger touches. You'll notice that they lie in a valleyed portion of the stack, so your finger rests in the divet much like it would on a depressed button. I am really, really impressed by this. They're definately taking this "Starships don't need keys" idea seriously!

I've used these sensor-based controls in theater tech for years with an astounding reliability record. Those consoles get the tar knocked out of them and still perform. I wouldn't worry about these ones.

by a show of hands - thsoe of you with steering wheel controls - how often you actually use the center stack controls?

Me - NEVER - despite the fact that I have a volume knob on the center stack and a button on my steering wheel.

Love the center stack and all the new switch gear - nothing but the handle, door lock and side mirror controls are carryover from anything - everything else is brand new for Ford - or from Ford europe.

very nicely done.

Igor

Steering wheel controls are the best way to go for common functions. But with navigation and Sync systems, the number of choices become near infinite. You don't want too may button on the wheel or centre stack. A menue system like I-drive can be awkward. Sometimes it is just easiest to touch the screen when it give you a simple choice.

very nicely done.

Igor

I use both the steering wheel controls and the center stack controls. This is mostly because sometimes I switch back and forth between the radio and my ipod, so my hands are generally there by the center stack buttons anyway.

I used to use it all the time with my Focus SVT, one of the things I miss not having in the Mustang!

I'm talking about the steering wheel/Column mounted audio controls ;)

Edited by silvrsvt

I think my brain just stopped working.....I can't for the life of me understand what you're saying...

i think hes referring to having audio controls on the steering wheel. he used them a lot in his focus, but not in the mustang because all stangs pre- 2010 didnt have audio controls on the steering wheel. so you have to use the cetner stack in the mustang.

but thats just a guess :shades:

I think my brain just stopped working.....I can't for the life of me understand what you're saying...

I think:

He likes using the controls on the steering wheel as opposed to using center pod controls.

Most people fiddle with the center pod at lights but prefer to use steering controls on the move.....

Dratt,

blazerdude20 types quicker than me....

Edited by jpd80

i think hes referring to having audio controls on the steering wheel. he used them a lot in his focus, but not in the mustang because all stangs pre- 2010 didnt have audio controls on the steering wheel. so you have to use the cetner stack in the mustang.

but thats just a guess :shades:

Oh, ok......but I'm not the only one that doesn't quite understand it for sure, right?

I would say maybe a 3% chance I ever use the buttons on the center stack for the Navi/Stereo. I do alot of voice commands though, specially when alternating between CD's. Or "I'm Hungry" , so I find the Restaurants or ATM's or other POI's

But speaking of pressing buttons...When I first start the car, I gotta hit the "I Agree' disclosure on the Navi screen, then the Recirculate button on the A/C because it resets itself after each start, then turn on both A/C seat coolers on as well. I'm hoping some of these issues are resolves in the new generations, specially that Recirculation reset BS thats NOT necessary. And I DO appreciate the seats to stay in the same cool setting as I LEFT THEM! And that I AGREE non-sense is not needed either...