MKS or MKZ

Seems like your confused...was complaining about the difference between the MKS and MKX! LOL

Anyway, why isn't he complaining about Mercedes or BMW's naming convention for their cars? If anything if you ask someone what type of car they have like this, they say I have a Lincoln, Audi, etc....not a Lincoln MKS or Audi A4 or whatever...

See this link, this guy is really confused between the MKS and MKZ(Zepher). Imagine the common guy on the street will have no clue what is the difference between the two.

http://www.theautochannel.com/news/2009/06/14/465766.html

Is it really that tough? Are people that dumb?

It's three little letters: "Em" "Kay" + _______

MKS as in Mark/Sedan

MKZ as in Mark/Zephyr

MKX as in Mark/Crossover

MKT as in Mark/Touring?

What's the big deal? What's a LS400 or a G35?

Would a Lincoln Z37 make more sense as a Zephyr/MKZ with a 3.7? Or a Lincoln S35EB (MKS with 3.5 EcoBoost)?

What is the difference between a CTS, DTS, STS and SRX? (Cadillac)

What is the difference between a 135i, 335i and 535i? (BMW)

What is the difference between a C-550, CLK-550, CLS-550, CL-550 and E-550? (Mercedes)

What is the difference between a G37, M35, EX35 and FX35? (Infiniti)

Non-distinctive combinations of letters and/or numbers seems to be pretty common in the luxury space...

I would have to say that most others naming scheme, tells a story, "Mark", doesn't...

MB for example, C E S (higher the letter, the larger the size class). The numbers, mean the engine size, or traiditionally it would. Now to kepe the numbers high, not all their naming is accurate. Add a "K" to ML "K", it's Kompact, smaller...So ML is the SUV, MLK is the smaller one. CL is the big coupe, CL"K" is the smaller coupe, etc.

BMW...1, 3, 5 7...Higher the number, larger the vehicle. 35, 55, size of engine usually and mostly, BUT their is one or 2 vehicles that the number is inaccurate, liek 335 doesn't mean it has a 3.5L, it's really a 3.0L, I guess like MB trying to fool the buyer.

Volvo, "S" for Sedan, "V" for "Vagon" "C" for Coupe, "XC" for Xross Country. 40, 70, 90, higher the number, larger the vehicle.

Audi, A for sedan, S for the sportiest series. 4, 6, 8, size class.

Then we have Lincoln...Supposedly "MARK" was used because Honda was perturbed because MKX sounded too much like their beloved MDX. So Mark this, Mark that. Problem is, I'm just seeing MK _, NOT Mark...Mark is dropped. So now we use "em-kay" something... I've been giving them pet names though...MKS is "Markus" to me. MKT is "Market", MKZ "Markzee". The letters do not mean anything, "Z" isn't larger than "S", it was really used to play off Zephyr. At least Mark LT (light Truck) make sense, but why MARK is involved, it's beyond me...

Acura is another that doesn't have much of a naming story. They started with Legend, and Vigor, then moved to TL 2.5, and RL3.5 and at least that had a story, but now it's just TL, RL, MDX. If it's 3 lettes, it's SUV/crossover, I guess 2 letters, it's sedan. At least they ALMOST have some story to their naming.

As for Lincoln, there isn't a story, and I can tell you numerous times over and over and over in the dealership, people are confusing them every which way, now I'm hearing "the little one? meaning MKZ" oh "the big one?" Meaning MKS. And the MKT is being referred to crossover, MKX is the suv-thing. But be damned, everyone knows what Navigator means there. I'm not sure this was Lincolns mission to have their vehicles re-named, "Little one, big one, the truck, the suv"...But whatever...

So the GL-class is smaller than the ML-class, right? Oh wait, no it's not, but the GLK class is? :poke: :headscratch:

Face it. None of these names make any sense.

I'm well beyond sick and tired of hearing this alpha-numeric naming on any of these cars. It's yuppified, and stupid to boot. How about "The All-New 2010 PIECE OF SHIT!"

What is the difference between a C-550, CLK-550, CLS-550, CL-550 and E-550? (Mercedes)

ya MB is the worst at this. I would have liked BMW's if they actually went ahead with the odd number = sedan, even number = coupe thing, but they were too attached to the "3-series" name. Audi is pretty good, except I would've gone with Q8 instead of Q7. Audi sorta had even=four doors, odd=two doors, but then the A3 screwed it up, and so will the A7 which i think will be the 4 door coupe thing. Nobody seems to have a really logical naming scheme.

CL is Coupe Large (i'm just making it as a reference. CLS is Coupe Large Sedan, it's that SEDAN that's styled like a coupe for people in denial, they are driving a sedan. Coupe Light Kompact, is the smaller "C" based coupe. 550 is the engine size, 5.5, or it could even be a 5.0L, MB and BMW have not been strict with their numbers, you'll have a 5.5L Turbo, and they'll call it 600.

And one think I find totally tacky, just imagine saying (count the syllabels)..."I have a 2010, Mercedez Benz, CLK 550 AMG Cabriolet.... Like really? Like, STF up.... Same goes with Ford Mustang Cobra Jet KR500, with an OPP and OCD for people on ADHD. Like are those letters, and thingies REALLY necessary. :glare:

CL is Coupe Large (i'm just making it as a reference. CLS is Coupe Large Sedan, it's that SEDAN that's styled like a coupe for people in denial, they are driving a sedan. Coupe Light Kompact, is the smaller "C" based coupe

Oh. So the "C" class are all coupes? Thanks for the info. I'm going to go down to the local MB store and weld shut all the back doors on their C-class inventory, since those doors shouldn't be there in the first place.

The coupes start with "C", CL, CLK, and there denial CLS coupe/sedan. The sedan is also "C", size of it, so it's just a simple "C", the C300 and C350. The CLK is based on "C" sedan platform, but the CL and CLS are not "C" platform based.

The coupes start with "C", CL, CLK, and there denial CLS coupe/sedan. The sedan is also "C", size of it, so it's just a simple "C", the C300 and C350. The CLK is based on "C" sedan platform, but the CL and CLS are not "C" platform based.

That's great and all, but that's not always consistent. The E Class coupe, N54 equipped BMWs and the newer supercharged Audis are great examples of this.

Edited by Michael Reynolds

People screw up the Lincoln names because they haven't memorized them yet, not because they make less sense than their rivals. It's not like a random person sees a BMW seven and deduces that it must be the seven by eliminating BMW's four smaller numerically named cars. Lexus names make just as much sense as Lincoln's and no one seems to screw those up- like BMW and Mercedes, their cars have been on the market longer and people that care know the names of the cars.

The letters do not mean anything, "Z" isn't larger than "S", it was really used to play off Zephyr. At least Mark LT (light Truck) make sense, but why MARK is involved, it's beyond me...

One could argue that Lincoln is doing it backwards in regards to letters.

All of them start with "MK", so for this purpose, I'm eliminating that for now. In the lineup, "Z" (car) is smaller than "S" (car), "X" (cuv) is smaller than "T" (cuv). So instead of the letter moving up the alphabet as the car size grows, the letter moves down the alphabet as the car gets larger. I don't know if it was intended to be that way or if it just happened, though.

ya MB is the worst at this. I would have liked BMW's if they actually went ahead with the odd number = sedan, even number = coupe thing, but they were too attached to the "3-series" name. Audi is pretty good, except I would've gone with Q8 instead of Q7. Audi sorta had even=four doors, odd=two doors, but then the A3 screwed it up, and so will the A7 which i think will be the 4 door coupe thing. Nobody seems to have a really logical naming scheme.

Hmmm.....one could say that odd numbers represent coupes, since the A5=coupe, A7=4 door coupe, but that throws out the A3 and Q5/7. Perhaps the odd designations on the SUVs correlate with seating capacities....the Q5 seats 5, while the Q7 seats 7, and the rest of the "odd" lineup is coupes?

People screw up the Lincoln names because they haven't memorized them yet, not because they make less sense than their rivals. It's not like a random person sees a BMW seven and deduces that it must be the seven by eliminating BMW's four smaller numerically named cars. Lexus names make just as much sense as Lincoln's and no one seems to screw those up- like BMW and Mercedes, their cars have been on the market longer and people that care know the names of the cars.

I agree....I think the biggest confusion regarding Lincoln names is as you said because people aren't used to the names yet. And as the previous poster said, the idea is to get people to say "I have a LINCOLN," not I have a "ZEPHYR" or "CONTINTENTAL", etc.

So explain S versus SL versus SLK?

So explain S versus SL versus SLK?

The "SL" goes for the 2 seater roadtsters, and add "K" for the Kompact one. The single letter S, super. And the roadsters are not based on the S sedan. There's not much consistancy. I remember in the late 80s, early 90's my mother had the SC500 or SEC500 I think, which they called "Super Coupe" but it was just what WE know now as CL550. Yeah it was a total POS even when it was new, but I did enjoy how it "presented" the seatbelt to the driver and passenger with a cute little arm.

I think they dropped that alpha-numbering when Lexus came out with SC400.