Ford SHO vs. G37 Journey

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/Drive...photopanel..1.*

Question is why are we comparing a Taurus to an Infiniti G37. They should have asked for an M35/45.

Well, to be completely honest, I was surprised by less hp and less money, but similar 0-60 and faster 1/4 from the Infiniti. Can't really complain about 5.8 out of the SHO...but 99.1 in the 1/4 seems slow (even with the AWD and the extra weight).

OTOH, I guess I wouldn't have thought about a G37 if I was cross-shopping an SHO. To me, it's an AWD large sedan with a performance engine. A G37 is more "sport-sedan"...i.e. specifically tuned and built for sport driving.

Edited by BrewfanGRB

WTH, a mid-size vs a large car comparo.... crabapples-to-apples in my book.

Compare the Taurus to the Avalon, Genesis or Cadillac CTS.

The G37 seems more Fusion sized.

A proper comparison between an IIHS winner & non-winner isn't.

Edmunds gets a :slap:

Edited by joihan777

Yet another WTF from Edumunds

And this makes us wonder when Ford is finally going to get rid of that cruise control interface on the steering wheel, the one that we've grown to dislike on our long-term 2009 Ford Flex ? No "cancel" button, no telltale for on/off, etc., and now it's more complex with the adjustable cruise control?

I've been looking at Flex steering wheel photos and the on/off button is the second one up from the bottom on the left hand side?

Maybe its just me, but Ford has one of the easiest cruise control setups on the road, Toyota is horrible with the little stalk that sticks out of the steering column and GM and Hondas are acceptable. Hell I think the Honda system is nearly identical to the Ford set up from what I can remember!

As for the size difference...the wheel base between the G37 and Taurus is only an inch difference, but I'm sure the Taurus dwarfs it in length....and they are complaining about Command seating in the car too...

Sure, the SHO comes up short compared to a G37 at a drag strip on a slalom course, but compared to other cars of its size and mass (or smaller), it's quick and it sticks.

sooooo then maybe compare it to a COMPRABLE CAR IN IT'S CLASS THEN?!?!?!?!

Edited by Sixt9coug

+1^^^

If you cannot figure out how to properly use the Ford cruise control interface, you are braindead.

I think someone else from Edmunds was bitching about cruise control interface on another Ford product late last year too...Its trivial to complain about it...its not like iDrive from BMW which is an exercise in futility from what I understand.

Toyota is horrible with the little stalk that sticks out of the steering column and GM and Hondas are acceptable.

The Toyota CC stalk is the one area where Toyota actually had a bright idea IMO. Once you get used to that stalk and it's hard to go back to the steering wheel buttons.

The Toyota CC stalk is the one area where Toyota actually had a bright idea IMO. Once you get used to that stalk and it's hard to go back to the steering wheel buttons.

I disagree and I've yet to find anything at all wrong with Ford's steering wheel mounted controls. They are simple to operate and can be used with your thumb without moving your hand from the wheel. I don't get the gripe. The same setup is used in my Mazda6 and I can find no reason to complain about it. Sounds like complaining for complaining's sake.

The only (barely) valid complaint I've heard is that there is no cancel button. I assume hitting "OFF" wipes out the memory speed so you can't hit resume. OTOH all you have to do is tap the brakes to disengage cc and if you think about it, the only reason to disengage cc is to slow down.

One feature that I really like is being able to increase or decrease your speed in 1 mph increments.

I think the CC in my '07 Fusion is just about th easiest I've ever used.

One problem on my wife's LS is that the ON/OFF is located in an location and it's not easy to remember which is ON if you've never driven or seldom drive the car. I'm glad they moved it to where the rest of the buttons are located on the wheel.

Edited by TomServo92

A big "What?" to Edmunds on the CC thing:

1) What do you even NEED a cancel button for? Seriously. Why?

2) Why do you need a light to tell you cruise is on? Ford's system isn't like Honda's--where if you shut the car off with cruise engaged, it's still engaged the next time you turn it on.

As has already been said: If you can't figure out Ford's TWO BUTTON cruise control system ("on" "set"), then you're brain dead.

As has already been said: If you can't figure out Ford's TWO BUTTON cruise control system ("on" "set"), then you're brain dead.

Cruise Control in my Mustang is 5 button (LEFT-On,Off;RIGHT-Resume,Set/Accel,Coast).

M3601B_hr.jpg

Still a breeze to operate. :shrug:

getting used to the set-up after many months or years of ownership can be said of any vehicle.

getting used to the set-up after many months or years of ownership can be said of any vehicle.

When I drive the wife's Freestar, My left foot reaches for the clutch while starting. Sometime's I even reach for the nonexistant floor shifter too. I just relax back in the seat and smile for a second or two. Follwed by the word "duh!"

I disagree and I've yet to find anything at all wrong with Ford's steering wheel mounted controls. They are simple to operate and can be used with your thumb without moving your hand from the wheel. I don't get the gripe. The same setup is used in my Mazda6 and I can find no reason to complain about it. Sounds like complaining for complaining's sake.

The Toyota stalk can be activated with the index or middle finger without ever removing your hand from the steering wheel. Push the botton on the end and then push down and cruise is set, push up to accelerate. No double checking to make your actually pushing the right button like you have to do with steeing wheel controls. I have 4 examples of the steering wheel cruise controls in the driveway right now, I am completely used to them, and I STILL prefer the stalk. This coming from a guy that does not like Toyotas.

I have examples of both in the driveway right now, and the Toyota CC stalk is my favorite thing about the Toyota's ergonomics.

I don't have to take my hands off the wheel to set the cruise on my Sable. Do you have thumbs? :P

I reach the left thumb out to turn on cruise, and use the right thumb to set the speed. All with minimal relocation of the hands on the steering wheel.

With the Toyota it looks like you have to swivel the one hand down, push the button on the end in with your index finger, and then push it down with your index finger, middle finger, or both to set the speed.

Where Toyota has an advantage, IMO, is that their CC controls haven't changed much. Ford's button placement has changed frequently over the past few years, as Ford has changed steering wheels frequently over the past few years.

1) What do you even NEED a cancel button for? Seriously. Why?

I use it all the time in my G35. Say some numb-nuts cuts in front of you to pass. Tap Cancel and you start to decellerate. When numb-nuts gets over, hit resume. No foot movement.

Say you are nearing a construction zone - hit cancel and start to coast down.

That's all I can think of.

And, YES G37 vs Taurus is a valid comparison. I was cross shopping the G37, Flex, and SHO. Until I heard the new Nissans needed special Ester oil @ $100 for an oil change. And then the Ford dealer saying Taurus is @ Sticker.

I use it all the time in my G35. Say some numb-nuts cuts in front of you to pass. Tap Cancel and you start to decellerate. When numb-nuts gets over, hit resume. No foot movement.

Say you are nearing a construction zone - hit cancel and start to coast down.

That's all I can think of.

And, YES G37 vs Taurus is a valid comparison. I was cross shopping the G37, Flex, and SHO. Until I heard the new Nissans needed special Ester oil @ $100 for an oil change. And then the Ford dealer saying Taurus is @ Sticker.

tapping the brake pedal defeats the system as well, and if you dont go under 35 press resume....youll go back to where you were