Lutz says Pontiac G8 to survive as Cheve Caprice in US

richardmayo

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"The last time we looked at [the G8], we decided that we would continue to import it as a Chevrolet. It is kind of too good to waste,"

from Autoblog

but the caprice???...well add some spinners and it will fit right in with the crowd around cabrini green...caprice?..it is getting stupider every day at GM...

From Merriam-Webster:

Main Entry: ca·price

Pronunciation: \kə-ˈprēs\

Function: noun

Etymology: French, from Italian capriccio caprice, shudder, perhaps from capo head (from Latin caput) + riccio hedgehog, from Latin ericius — more at head, urchin

Date: 1667

1 a : a sudden, impulsive, and seemingly unmotivated notion or action b : a sudden usually unpredictable condition, change, or series of changes <the caprices of the weather>

2 : a disposition to do things impulsively

3 : capriccio 3

synonyms caprice, whim, vagary, crotchet mean an irrational or unpredictable idea or desire. caprice stresses lack of apparent motivation and suggests willfulness <by sheer caprice she quit her job>. whim implies a fantastic, capricious turn of mind or inclination <an odd antique that was bought on a whim>. vagary stresses the erratic, irresponsible character of the notion or desire <recently he had been prone to strange vagaries>. crotchet implies an eccentric opinion or preference <a serious scientist equally known for his bizarre crotchets>.

Personally, I think this would make more sense as a replacement for the Lucerne.

No way...should have been a Buick GN. Its the only name left in GM's bag of tricks to try and get a large v8 powered sedan to sell. GTO, Bonneville, G8, Impala SS all failed.

Edited by atomaro

Bob Lutz should have been left in the scrap heap of the "Old GM"

:hysterical:

Nah, Let Lutz come along for the ride, I'm sure he will help Ford's rise to the top.

I do believe Ford NA will do something with the Falcon platform but only after GM burns all its bridges.

Once they are damaged goods, Ford can roll out its own RWD products and capture more GM ground.

It just pisses me off that during the entire "bankruptcy" process...(using air quotes)...GM was basically this sobbing wreck of a company begging and pleading, "Oh please just help us out...we won't do that anymore..."...but as soon as the judges gavel came down and closed the case....here come ole Bob with his "new" plans..(air quotes again) to create cars that people want...first up? A "new"...(dang air quotes) Chevrolet Caprice.....because that is exactly what the masses wanted after all....a RWD V8 powered behemoth that won't get anything over 18 MPG combined.....un-freakin-believable!!!!

It just pisses me off that during the entire "bankruptcy" process...(using air quotes)...GM was basically this sobbing wreck of a company begging and pleading, "Oh please just help us out...we won't do that anymore..."...but as soon as the judges gavel came down and closed the case....here come ole Bob with his "new" plans..(air quotes again) to create cars that people want...first up? A "new"...(dang air quotes) Chevrolet Caprice.....because that is exactly what the masses wanted after all....a RWD V8 powered behemoth that won't get anything over 18 MPG combined.....un-freakin-believable!!!!

No, GM is totally predictable.

They went into bankruptcy to clear debt and get financing to keep selling the same products.

Who here honestly believes GM will change that much with the same guys at the top?

Fritz Henderson...Blah, Blah Blah...change.... same products....same executives......huh?

Good on GM, I hope they keep steaming along towards the next iceberg,

so long as the government sells it shares before that happens - I'm good with it.

This is a lay down win to Ford.

Edited by jpd80

From Merriam-Webster:

Main Entry: ca·price

Pronunciation: \kə-ˈprēs\

Function: noun

Etymology: French, from Italian capriccio caprice, shudder, perhaps from capo head (from Latin caput) + riccio hedgehog, from Latin ericius — more at head, urchin

Date: 1667

1 a : a sudden, impulsive, and seemingly unmotivated notion or action b : a sudden usually unpredictable condition, change, or series of changes <the caprices of the weather>

2 : a disposition to do things impulsively

3 : capriccio 3

synonyms caprice, whim, vagary, crotchet mean an irrational or unpredictable idea or desire. caprice stresses lack of apparent motivation and suggests willfulness <by sheer caprice she quit her job>. whim implies a fantastic, capricious turn of mind or inclination <an odd antique that was bought on a whim>. vagary stresses the erratic, irresponsible character of the notion or desire <recently he had been prone to strange vagaries>. crotchet implies an eccentric opinion or preference <a serious scientist equally known for his bizarre crotchets>.

Maybe that should change GM to Caprice Motors. It would fit the way they run things.

In truth the G8 to Caprice switch is pretty easy since they already sell the G8 as a Chevy in the Middle East. Maybe the G8ST will get a life as the el Camino as it should have all along.

NEW IMPROVED/SAME GM are cheating thieving lying ba$tard$, whilst Ford has not asked Obama & the US Government or taxpayer anything.

GM agreed to replace incompetent GM management that helped to scuttle them - So old GM's Lutz returns who lead them to a record breaking $50 billion Chapter 11 and they were told to replace crap cars that don't sell well like the mundane gas guzzling G8 that only 2,600 boy racers wanted to buy each month with more fuel efficient cars.

They agreed to build fuel efficient cars as part of terms and condition of getting US taxpayers money. So Old GM/NewGM/SAME GM boss Lutz brings back the fuel efficient G8 rebadged as a Chevy, gotta say you could not make stuff this up.

What's next? Old GM/New GM/SAME GM Hummer rebadged with the new environmentally friendly green GM logo as the new Chevy Matiz., Rick gets a place on the board thanks to the recommendation of Bob.

It won't be long till the taxpayer hears "giv us another $50 billion" from Lutz to bail out his boring Tony cars, meantime the poor ole Classic Silverado props up Lutz's shit Tony cars that will sell only a piss poor average of just 2,600 G8 units a month, Fords selling 45,000 exciting Fiesta's a month in Europe..

Cheats don't prosper

Edited by Ford Jellymoulds

The CAPRICE?!?!? Are you f#cking serious?!?!?

Okay, GM, repeat after me-- I-M-P-A-L-A

See, it's not difficult at all to pronounce.

Ugh... splashing scalding hot oil on my face would be less painful than trying to contemplate the latest move by this flowering example of pure wisdom.

Ugh... splashing scalding hot oil on my face would be less painful than trying to contemplate the latest move by this flowering example of pure wisdom.

I agree, the new Zeta should be called Impala not Caprice.

The new Epsillon II FWD car that replaces the existing Impala shitbox should be called Caprice.

GM's boring dull three sedans NEW Caprice (G8 piss poor 2,600 UNITS a month average in 2009), Impala & Malibu have struggled to average just above 28,000 units a month between all three of them, whilst the Fiesta averaging 45,000 units a month on its own.

GM forums are about as interesting as the boring bland dull G8, the General Motors forum has had 6 posts so far this year less than 1 post a month with not one single reply in 2009.

Ford's Falcon walks all over the G8 in the Bathurst 1000, the G8 Holden is shit.

Cheats don't prosper

Edited by Ford Jellymoulds

Repeat after me, R-U-I-N-E-D. Ten years as a FWD rebadged Lumina rental car will do that to a nameplate.

Why the hell they are bringing the Caprice nameplate back boggles my mind too though.

What I find interesting is the same week we are hearing from the CAW that the CV/GM/TC are done in 2011, here's Maximum Bob Putz back un-retired with a RWD option for fleets/livery just in the nick of time! I can't fathom another reason to specifically bring the "Caprice" nameplate back other than to appeal to livery/fleets.

If people think the G8 was a boring POS they need to take a step back and re-evaluate their auto judging skills. This is a great car in the GT trim and engine (the only one I have any experience with) and the GXP is supposed to be better.

I hope it works out as the Caprice. At least it has name recognition now. I won't be purchasing one but this car is not the typical GM we love to pick on.

If people think the G8 was a boring POS they need to take a step back and re-evaluate their auto judging skills. This is a great car in the GT trim and engine (the only one I have any experience with) and the GXP is supposed to be better.

I hope it works out as the Caprice. At least it has name recognition now. I won't be purchasing one but this car is not the typical GM we love to pick on.

I like the G8. It's one of the few GM cars I'd consider buying. I have an issue with GM's "plan du jour". Everyday it changes. Tomorrow, the G8 will become a Buick. The next day, it'll be cancelled again and so forth.

People, people. This just re-affirms what we've known all along: GM can never, has never and will never get it. It also proves that Chvrolet is not and never has been a real American brand. Not if they keep badge engineering. Chevys from Japan, South Korea and now Australia. Where is a home-grown All-American Chevrolet? The HHR was ripped off by a former Chrysler guy. The Cobalt is ther ancestor of one of the worst desings ever called Chevy, and the Malibu stands alone as a real American car (I think). The current Impala reminds me of the old Lumina Euro..............ugly and boring. :titanic: :closedeyes:

If the Australian Zeta platform does indeed morph into a Chevrolet, it should be given a new moniker to better reflect the new direction that GM is headed for. It also should be powered by a "high feature" V6 as base equipment.

Look forward, not backward GM..... :finger:

I think a good question is are they actually headed in a "new direction?"