Full Size Sedans Could Shrink

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Boy they even mention that the Taurus is going to get another refresh 2 years from now....crazy!

I'm assuming that will be a "minor". Maybe some new features, maybe a new wheel or two?, but otherwise very little cosmetically I would think, and those changes would be limited to fascias or maybe lamps. But if the Taurus comes out of the gate strong, Ford might be able to minimize this investment.

Chevy is probably a good indication of where Ford brand will be, or will like to be. The Impala/Malibu pair essentially turned into the Malibu/Cruze. Ford could use a similar Taurus/Fusion pairing as well. The Taurus is simply too big, not enough people want something like that. I like the new Taurus, but it's still a HUGE car and I'm torn between the fun but aging Fusion over the sexy but geriatric Taurus. I just want something like the Malibu from Ford, but with Ford's superior tech and quality ;). The same goes for the Escape, another crucial Ford product that keeps getting updates but continues to look about as exciting as a refrigerator. Actually, GE makes some sexier stainless steel appliances now ;). I like the Escape quite a bit, nice classic SUV with a glass liftgate (thank God for that), but it's not something that excites or draws attention.

The Impala/Malibu pair essentially turned into the Malibu/Cruze.

um NO the Cruze is Focus sized car

but it's still a HUGE car and I'm torn between the fun but aging Fusion over the sexy but geriatric Taurus. I just want something like the Malibu from Ford, but with Ford's superior tech and quality .

Are you smoking crack? Basically you want a Fusion with the old Taurus/500 styling then...the Malibu is fucking boring compared Fusion and The Taurus. The Fusion is old? It just got a refresh this year....I know your not a fan of the styling, but its better then the soap bar styling the Malibu, whos sales have fallen off a cliff.

The same goes for the Escape, another crucial Ford product that keeps getting updates but continues to look about as exciting as a refrigerator. Actually, GE makes some sexier stainless steel appliances now ;) . I like the Escape quite a bit, nice classic SUV with a glass liftgate (thank God for that), but it's not something that excites or draws attention.

I like the Escape for what it is, lets see what they do when the Kuga and Escape are joined in a couple years..if they go CUV over SUV styling.

When the Taurus gets the 2.0 EB, the mpg problem wont be a problem any longer.

It gets pretty decent MPG as it stands now, I do have to admit it is on the big side for my likes though and a stretched out Fusion/Modeno platform is a good idea to replace it...its lighter and more cost effecent then having a separate large car platform.

Guess that opens up room for the Falcon.

Personally, I don't see it that way. I don't know where it would fit in the Ford showroom.

Just for comparison:

D3 Taurus 202.9 inches oal

Avalon 197.2 oal

Falcon 195.1" oal

Accord 194.1 oal

Fusion 190.6 oal

The Accord is classified as full size. So if you stretch the next CD for Taurus, and maybe shoot for Avalon, then you're right on top of Falcon. There appears to be no need for a car larger than Taurus.

Of course, a key challenge will be the ability to attain Lincoln attributes from the base C/D and a streched C/D. Personally, Lincoln is the only place where I could potentially see RWD.

Autoblog had the same thing up today that the Taurus will share a platform with the fusion/ mondeo.

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/07/12/report-...ith-f/#comments

I was wondering how long that would stay a secret.

Guess that opens up room for the Falcon.

Maybe, but I'm betting the intellectual property will be used, head office likes doing its own thing.

Re Falcon Vs Taurus,

the Taurus is bigger externally but Falcon has more hip/shoulder room internally.

Falcon's big brother, the Fairlane had far more rear leg room, slightly less than LWB Town Car.

FordSpecifications.jpg

Edited by jpd80

Confirms what I have been saying since CAFE passed, a Fusion will be the new fullsize car.

Funny, they've dumped & squandered all this money into the failed D3 sedans and they won't even survive CAFE.

Did you even read the article?

It did not in any way say that the Fusion will be the new "fullsize" car. It said that Taurus and friends will likely be moved to the new CD4/EUCD2 conglomoration of platforms, eliminating a platform altogether. Taurus will still be around, it just will likely not be on D3/4 in the future.

The new Obamamobiles are really going to suck. Combine that with the globalization of the automobile to make them as cheap as possible to build, and it sounds like car sales should stay down for the next 5-6 years.

Who is going to dump what they like just to buy something they don't want?

The new Obamamobiles are really going to suck. Combine that with the globalization of the automobile to make them as cheap as possible to build, and it sounds like car sales should stay down for the next 5-6 years.

Don't assume the rest of world thinks the way you do.

Everything Ford has put out since Obama was elected has been kickass, and so is everything coming down their pipeline as we speak. I dunno what you're implying is the connection between who the president is and what cars we see come out of Ford, but I don't see anything to complain about. If you're upset about your car wasting less gas, then why don't you just pour some on your driveway and burn it and have a good time of it. All they're saying here is that the Taurus is gonna get a bit smaller - I don't think anybody would disagree that the 2010 Taurus is a little on the heavy side.

Don't assume the rest of world thinks the way you do.

Case in point: Toyota Camry.

Everything Ford has put out since Obama was elected has been kickass, and so is everything coming down their pipeline as we speak. I dunno what you're implying is the connection between who the president is and what cars we see come out of Ford, but I don't see anything to complain about. If you're upset about your car wasting less gas, then why don't you just pour some on your driveway and burn it and have a good time of it. All they're saying here is that the Taurus is gonna get a bit smaller - I don't think anybody would disagree that the 2010 Taurus is a little on the heavy side.

Without turning this into a political thread, it's not as though he has control of what Ford has done and is making/doing, except perhaps through CAFE regulations.

It did not in any way say that the Fusion will be the new "fullsize" car. It said that Taurus and friends will likely be moved to the new CD4/EUCD2 conglomoration of platforms, eliminating a platform altogether. Taurus will still be around, it just will likely not be on D3/4 in the future.

Because if the Panther is gone, and the D3 goes away, that leaves your largest sedan option as the CD3/4/whatever which is the FUSION.

Because if the Panther is gone, and the D3 goes away, that leaves your largest sedan option as the CD3/4/whatever which is the FUSION.

The future Taurus would still be longer than the Fusion, but slightly shorter than the 2010 model currently being launched. Similar changes would likely be made to the Ford Flex and Lincoln MKT, which are also based on a modified D3 platform; although, the aim would be to deliver the same interior room offered by the current models.

Maybe this opens up a space for Falcon platform based CV and TC replacements.

Yes I did. Here:

The new platform would be an evolution of the European C/D-class platform that currently underpins several European mid-sized products, such as the Ford Mondeo and Galaxy. North American products like the Ford Fusion and Edge, which are currently built on the CD3 architecture, would move to this new platform, but so would larger vehicles like the Taurus, which is currently manufactured on the D3 platform.

The future Taurus would still be longer than the Fusion, but slightly shorter than the 2010 model currently being launched. Similar changes would likely be made to the Ford Flex and Lincoln MKT, which are also based on a modified D3 platform; although, the aim would be to deliver the same interior room offered by the current models.

Therefore, the TAURUS would be the biggest sedan on the CD4/whatever platform.

Edited by rmc523

Autoblog had the same thing up today that the Taurus will share a platform with the fusion/ mondeo.

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/07/12/report-...ith-f/#comments

Whatever happed to the Mulally's ONE "World Car" three cars that looking almost the same running off the same platform.

Why just not have one car with all the best bits, front end of the new Taurus blended with the arse end of the Fusion on a Mondeo platform, one car to serve the world and reduce the spare parts inventory & costs.

Even better still use the RWD Falcon as Fords flagship car worldwide, dump the cheap & nasty its cheap to drop in as one lump FWD and let the mechanics suffer later on. Use RWD the choice of quality car makers like BMW and Mercedes Benz and the low volume car maker 3 series outsells the mass produced Mundane in Europe. Call it the Taurus or Fusion in the US, Mundane in Europe & Falcon in Aussieland names don't bother me but having no RWD car in Europe does especially when Fords Cortina/Taunus was Europes #1 best seller.

Give us back our RWD Ford in Europe that proved RWD sells better the Cortina/Taunus spend most of its life as Europes No1 unlike the master sales losing Mondeo that never ever makes Europe's top 10 best selling cars. Falcon is not a do nothing posermobile in suits like the Mondeo is, it goes out on the racetrack and makes the GM Holden G8 look second rate rubbish in the Bathurst 1,000.

tnsttl.jpg

Edited by Ford Jellymoulds