Escape vs CRV

My grandparents are looking for a small/compact SUV and leaning towards the Honda CRV. I would rather they purchased a vehicle from an American company, namely Ford. The escape though, is in serious need of some updates but I still find it a competant car and feel like they can get more for their money. They are on a budget, and are looking to spend less than 25k.

Opinions?

They should get the Equinox! By far the best of the breed.

I dont' know how the CRV compares, but the Escape offers more bang for the buck, including fuel economy. The CRV is also riding on old tech, no 6-speed transmission for example. The Escape is actually much more current than the CRV, but the Equinox leap frogs both by a mile.

Edited by BORG

I dont' know how the CRV compares, but the Escape offers more bang for the buck, including fuel economy. The CRV is also riding on old tech, no 6-speed transmission for example. The Escape is actually much more current than the CRV, but the Equinox leap frogs both by a mile.

I am not sure they will go the GM route, the Jimmy they "have" wasnt the best to them. Though I would somewhat disagree with their assertion that it hasnt been a good vehicle. Ill take a peak.

I am not sure they will go the GM route, the Jimmy they "have" wasnt the best to them. Though I would somewhat disagree with their assertion that it hasnt been a good vehicle. Ill take a peak.

GM is getting better on quality, but it's pretty clear they are nowhere near Ford level (which is better than Honda level btw).

Edited by BORG

The 2010 Equinox.... not a 2009

Yes, that is very important to know...the 2010 Equinox is world class...the 2009 is third world ;)

I really like the Escape, ruggedly simple and fairly handsome. It does look fairly bargain bin next to the competition, but Ford did keep the price down. The Chevy certainly will force more incentives on the Escape because until now, the Escape was the best choice and was selling well with very little on the hood. The Equinox also has substantially better fuel economy than the Escape.

Edited by BORG

I hear the new Equinox is an excellent choice. See if you can break that ever-present link between 10 year old Big Three experiences and present day purchasing decisions. I also think the Escape is in less need of an update than the CRV. The style is less than 2 years old, and the drive trains just got updated last year.

Having real world experience with the CRV, I would tell them to stay far away. We have a fleet of 18 2008 and 2009 CRVs we use as our news cars. We have had 3 transmissions fail under 50,000 miles, and several stereo head units and power window motors. Also, the cheap painted silver of the interior will literally rub off just with your leg rubbing on the door panel (much like the last gen Explorer Sport and Sport Trac).

In fact, since our fleet contract is now up with Honda, we're going to Escapes. The jump into the CRVs (from previous generation Explorers) was pressured by our sales manager (part of a sweetheart deal with a local Honda dealer), against the wishes of our operations manager.

The 2010 Equinox is really, really nice, but the bang for your buck is definately greater in the Escape. Plus, if the 2010 Camaro is any indication, I'd stay away from a first model year GM launch.

For what its worth. My dad just bought a 09 Escape limited with every option. He traded down from a 08 F350 dually. So it was a huge step for him. Overall he likes it alot more than he thought he would. He has a few gripes, but mainly because he went from a $50k truck to a $30k little suv. He complained that the passenger seat is not power and that the heated seats don't stay hot long enough. I told him "you bought a fully loaded compact suv that starts at $20k. Its not a navigatior."

He does say its so easy to park and drive. Gets good fuel mileage, (his is 4x4). I actually thought he would go for the Edge, but to my surprise he liked the escape better.

I have a friend that has a new CRV and its nice. But to me it looks blah! The inside is nice. But Honda loves to put weird gear shifters in CRVs. I am not sure what it is about the CRV, but I just don't like it. I think it looks like a station wagon or a Pacifica holding its breath all puffed up. No offense to the elders out there, but the CRV does remind me of a older persons vehicle.

The 09 escape with 240hp and the 6 speed is a little rocket. I think the escape is a good bargin.

I can't say much on the GM stuff because I haven't checked it out yet.

The escape though, is in serious need of some updates ...

I'm surprised you say that ! The Escape got a facelift for 2008MY and in 2009MY is got all new engines and transmissions. The 2.5L I4 with the 6 speed automatic is really a very nice package. Much better than the old 2.3L with the 4 speed auto.

Where do you feel it is deficient ?

The Escape and the CRV are both listed at 23 mpg, combined, but the Escape get +1 mpg on the highway.

Sit in both vehicles. I'll bet the Escape is bigger indie.

Edited by theoldwizard

Where do you feel it is deficient ?

Interior materials and overall layout. It doesn't use its space very efficiently. I couldn't believe how cramped the interior was when I sat in one. The exterior also, while recently updated, carried over much of the overall theme of the previous model, which is starting to get long in the tooth.

I still feel the Escape offers a lot of appeal considering its age. The update that happened in '08 and the power train treatment in '09 has really put it steps forward in its field of competition. Yes the new Equinox is nice, but its still a Chevy product. I'd be worried about things happening honestly. I'm not sure when Escape is due for a complete redesign, but I believe they'll be able to sell decently for another 2 years. Maybe they'll just discontinue it and replace it with the Kuga.

:shrug:

Interior materials and overall layout. It doesn't use its space very efficiently. I couldn't believe how cramped the interior was when I sat in one. The exterior also, while recently updated, carried over much of the overall theme of the previous model, which is starting to get long in the tooth.

exactly,

we will see, they should be out looking today. Thanks for the insight everyone.

Edited by one2gamble

Gotta nod toward Escape, my girlfriend owns a 2005 model and she is rolling up on 100K in the next few weeks.....zero problems except one, a rear wheel bearing was getting noisy at 97K...had it replaced...did a transmission service while it was in since she said she is going to keep it for another year or more....still looks good and she got 70K on the OE Continental tires...so when it was time for a new set, she got another set of Contis'. She has the V6, but with the new 2.5L four cylinder...should be plenty peppy for your grandparents. Her commute is 100 miles a day round trip and she loves the comfort of the car.

Go with the Escape....they won't be disappointed.

Is there a review of the new Equinox? I have not seen one. I was checking it out, and rearward visiblity is not good and hate the look of that very rear side window. Bad design IMO. The rest of it looks good, but not rugged like Escape. With that muffler hanging out back, not sure where you would install hitch and what the tow limits are if it has any. I sure hope GM is successful with it, but after looking at it not as good as the hype IMO. The Escape looks and acts like a small SUV that happens to have car like ride, and the Equinox looks like Traverse Junior. Two different audiences. I sure hope next Escape keeps its rugged, do everything looks and not look like some soft, feminine CUV.

Gotta nod toward Escape, my girlfriend owns a 2005 model and she is rolling up on 100K in the next few weeks.....zero problems except one, a rear wheel bearing was getting noisy at 97K...had it replaced...did a transmission service while it was in since she said she is going to keep it for another year or more....still looks good and she got 70K on the OE Continental tires...so when it was time for a new set, she got another set of Contis'. She has the V6, but with the new 2.5L four cylinder...should be plenty peppy for your grandparents. Her commute is 100 miles a day round trip and she loves the comfort of the car.

Go with the Escape....they won't be disappointed.

Remember this:

The V6 Escape has 240hp and will tow 3,500 pounds, and will probably do it well up long inclines.

The I4 Escape has 171hp and will only tow up to 1,500 pounds and I'm sure have trouble with long inclines. The Escape is a multi functional vehicle and seems to be much more versatile with V6 and only 2mpg fuel penalty.

....still looks good and she got 70K on the OE Continental tires...so when it was time for a new set, she got another set of Contis'.

Interesting ! A lot of folks didn't like the Continental tires because their "aggressive" thread was noisy. Huge difference in noise changing to a more "typical" tires, even ones that are "Mud and Snow" rated.

I had also heard they did not wear well, but obviously I was misinformed.

The V6 Escape has 240hp and will tow 3,500 pounds, and will probably do it well up long inclines.

The I4 Escape has 171hp and will only tow up to 1,500 pounds and I'm sure have trouble with long inclines. The Escape is a multi functional vehicle and seems to be much more versatile with V6 and only 2mpg fuel penalty.

Point made.

However, some folks will never tow anything, period.

Second, I'll bet "real world driving", with a fair amount of suburban freeway, will yield about 6+ mpg difference. (That is what my sister see between here her old 2007 V6 and her new 2009 I4.) The new I4 has a surprising amount of get up and go !

(P.S. To tow 3,500 lbs, you need the trailer tow option, something a lot of folks forget to order. Then they wonder why the transmission burns up !)

Edited by theoldwizard

Interesting ! A lot of folks didn't like the Continental tires because their "aggressive" thread was noisy. Huge difference in noise changing to a more "typical" tires, even ones that are "Mud and Snow" rated.

The Contis are pretty noisy (IMO). We did get good mileage out of ours though...73k+

Of course, the '03 Escape was pretty noisy all around. Our Flex is like we're wearing ear plugs it is so quiet.

I had a Mariner borrowed from a friend of mine for a few days. There were some things on it I didn't particularly like, but this was the model BEFORE the new engines were phased in. And mainly the part I was annoyed with was engine/tranny performance which should have been rectified.

But between the Escape and the CR-V, just looking at the CR-V as a crude, overbite styled, 3rd world interior design, I just wouldn't even have it on my list. And feature for feature, the Escape is still ahead, same in performance.

She is very diligent about maintaining her car, always gets the oil changed at the proper interval (5K for the Escape), and rotates the tires (hybrid cross rotate)every other change as well as replacement of air and fuel filters at regular intervals....she is rewarded with an ultra reliable vehicle that has never let her down. Her 2002 Escape had 120K when she swapped for the 2005....I almost bought it (the '02)...but got a Fusion instead.

Edited by twintornados

It has been my experience that the Contis do not wear well on 90% of the escapes/mariner. As a matter of fact our warranty clerk has a 07 Escape 2wd and the tires are awful. It has less than 20k on them and they are chopped and feathered. She rotated every oil change and alignment was checked. However, you can put a set of michelin or BFGs and they wear fine. I don't recommend the Contis on escapes for that reason. I recently purchased a 06 hybrid mariner and even though the contis are cheaper, I put a set of BFGs on it.

Maybe its the driving style? Maybe its the tire design with that suspension setup. Not sure

Fyi the Continential Conti Trac tires I have ever seen where never meant to be "aggressive" tread. They just wore so bad they turned into a knobby tire.

It has been my experience that the Contis do not wear well on 90% of the escapes/mariner. As a matter of fact our warranty clerk has a 07 Escape 2wd and the tires are awful. It has less than 20k on them and they are chopped and feathered. She rotated every oil change and alignment was checked. However, you can put a set of michelin or BFGs and they wear fine. I don't recommend the Contis on escapes for that reason. I recently purchased a 06 hybrid mariner and even though the contis are cheaper, I put a set of BFGs on it.

Maybe its the driving style? Maybe its the tire design with that suspension setup. Not sure

Fyi the Continential Conti Trac tires I have ever seen where never meant to be "aggressive" tread. They just wore so bad they turned into a knobby tire.

General/Continental (same manufacturer) were the only tires I ever had to warranty, in my opinion not worth 1/2 what you pay for them. The BFG's mentioned are a good deal for the money, keep in mind that Michelin (top of the line), BFG (one step down) and Uniroyal (cheapest but still a pretty good tire) are all under the same manufacturer. Just like Goodyear, Dunlop and I can't remember the last one.

fordtech1 obviously has access to fords literature and if he wanted he could check the prefixs (9001- 9004- 9006-) that Ford uses in their part numbering system to confirm which brands are under the same hat.

General/Continental (same manufacturer) were the only tires I ever had to warranty, ...

30+ years ago, General "Jumbos" were standard equipment on many GM cars. Back then I used to "bust tires" for Sears. I never saw so many sidewall separation in my life, most with at least 1/2 of the thread left.

Personally, I only buy Michelin tires. They invented the radial tire, and IMHO, still do it best !

I own a 2008 Ford Escape XLT 4wd 4-cylinder.

It has proven to be very reliable. I have had no issues with it. It does what I want it to do. This past winter was the most trouble free I have ever had because the 4wd handles the snow well.

When Ford talks about improvements in quality, I immediately think about the experience I have had with my Escape.

When I get a new car it will be the 2010 Escape because there are more options available and the upgraded transmission/engine are even better than what I currently own.

Now - what would I change on my Escape.

1. I wish Ford would ditch the indents in the back bumper - keep it smooth.

2. In the fall, leaves easily collect around the wiper arms and under the front part of the hood. Ford should redesign the openings around the wiper arms to prevent this.

I love my Escape!

Edited by LincolnV