Cash for Clunkers Parking Lot

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My local Ford Dealer has about 100 clunkers parked out back. I checked them out and about 70% are Ford clunkers and remaining are Chrysler and GM clunkers. Maybe 10 or so are Astro and Safari Vans, and quite a few Dodge pickups. Lots of Jeep Cherokees also.

Who on this board said these cars should be donated to those less fortunate? Most of these cars are pieces of junk and belong off the road.

I am sue they MAY Be a few GEMS! But I have seen a few clunkers on dealer lots as well, and I think the condition of those represented are pretty much the sum of what is being traded in.

Personally, this is a disaster waiting to happen. This will be the same as housing. There are people getting in to new cars through the "clunker" program that should be buying used. But "used cars" don't qualify. How many of these new purchases are going to be "repod" 12 to 18 months down the road!!

Who on this board said these cars should be donated to those less fortunate? Most of these cars are pieces of junk and belong off the road.

I am sue they MAY Be a few GEMS! But I have seen a few clunkers on dealer lots as well, and I think the condition of those represented are pretty much the sum of what is being traded in.

Personally, this is a disaster waiting to happen. This will be the same as housing. There are people getting in to new cars through the "clunker" program that should be buying used. But "used cars" don't qualify. How many of these new purchases are going to be "repod" 12 to 18 months down the road!!

I know I'm one of those voices, although most of the vehicles are genuine junks that deserve to be off the road, especially those cargo vans and work trucks.

Interesting that you don't see many Explorers in that lot, mostly minivans. The Freelander and Discovery are two interesting trades. It seems many Auroras have also been traded.

I have never seen that lot full like this, it is always empty and has been for the last 5 years or so. They use to keep a large vehicle inventory back there which you could browse, but now it sits mostly empty since those days are LOONG gone. However, C4C changed all of that and now there is a sea of junks ready to be hauled. I'm not sure who pays for these vehicles to be hauled, but I suspect these are going to the junkyard to be destroyed there, rather than being destroyed at the dealership *how can you drive them on the hauler if they are disabled?*. There are a few that have been disabled, you can see the writing on them.

Detroit is blessed with some state of the art automotive recycling facilities so this is a big industry here that can handle this load.

Edited by BORG

I'm living in a small town of less than 15,000 and the local Ford dealer had 10 vehicles turned in for the cash for clunkers program. Not all of them were "total junk" and it appearred all were in running condition. The vehicles were pickups, conversion vans, SUVs and only one car.

I know I'm one of those voices, although most of the vehicles are genuine junks that deserve to be off the road, especially those cargo vans and work trucks.

Interesting that you don't see many Explorers in that lot, mostly minivans. The Freelander and Discovery are two interesting trades. It seems many Auroras have also been traded.

I have never seen that lot full like this, it is always empty and has been for the last 5 years or so. They use to keep a large vehicle inventory back there which you could browse, but now it sits mostly empty since those days are LOONG gone. However, C4C changed all of that and now there is a sea of junks ready to be hauled. I'm not sure who pays for these vehicles to be hauled, but I suspect these are going to the junkyard to be destroyed there, rather than being destroyed at the dealership *how can you drive them on the hauler if they are disabled?*. There are a few that have been disabled, you can see the writing on them.

Detroit is blessed with some state of the art automotive recycling facilities so this is a big industry here that can handle this load.

I hope the nice F-150 that is in the pictures wasn't traded in for C4C. If that is the case that is a waste of a good truck. Oh well.

I have never seen that lot full like this, it is always empty and has been for the last 5 years or so. They use to keep a large vehicle inventory back there which you could browse, but now it sits mostly empty since those days are LOONG gone.

My dealer's "get ready" lot was always full too, and like yours they barely keep any inventory there anymore in the past few years. I didn't even think of them "hiding" the C4C vehicles there, I'll have to drive by there - I've not been by there since the program started.

I hope the nice F-150 that is in the pictures wasn't traded in for C4C. If that is the case that is a waste of a good truck. Oh well.

I agree, that one puzzled me as well.

I wouldn't worry too much about repos, it's harder to get an auto loan these days compared to a year or two ago.

I was also one who said they should be donated. I have seen some very decent stuff at my Ford dealer. I admit a few really were clunkers but if your in a bind and need a cheap ride you have to buy what you can afford. What is happening now is that prices for used parts are going up because of supply and demand. That sucks if your trying like me to keep my old GMC truck rolling. :banghead:

I was also one who said they should be donated. I have seen some very decent stuff at my Ford dealer. I admit a few really were clunkers but if your in a bind and need a cheap ride you have to buy what you can afford. What is happening now is that prices for used parts are going up because of supply and demand. That sucks if your trying like me to keep my old GMC truck rolling. :banghead:

I understand trying to help the needy. I'm all for that by doing other things. Putting these cars back on the road is unsafe. I drive 125 to 150 miles a day in Industrial Sales. I see these type of cars all day long - no tread on the tires, broken/cracked glass, belching smoke (not to mention probably no insurance or under insured).

These things need to be taken off the road and I am glad they are.

I understand trying to help the needy. I'm all for that by doing other things. Putting these cars back on the road is unsafe. I drive 125 to 150 miles a day in Industrial Sales. I see these type of cars all day long - no tread on the tires, broken/cracked glass, belching smoke (not to mention probably no insurance or under insured).

These things need to be taken off the road and I am glad they are.

God damit so what? What if they run another 50K???? Then what????? Dont just trash d cars tjat jave 200l K on them.

Edited by chevys

The national fleet is over 260 million vehicles, ther's no way $3 billion will put a dent in clunkers.

C4C is a stimulus package for new cars and dealers, if it achieves those aims then it's worked.

There will still be plenty of clunkers out there for people to moon over......:rolleyes:

The national fleet is over 260 million vehicles, ther's no way $3 billion will put a dent in clunkers.

C4C is a stimulus package for new cars and dealers, if it achieves those aims then it's worked.

There will still be plenty of clunkers out there for people to moon over......:rolleyes:

Agreed!

And they are making more of them everyday! :)

There may occassionally be some questionable trades, probably by dumb people who don't realize what their car might actually be worth...but for the most part, these cars are forgetable wrecks that have probably been giving the owners headaches for years. You would be surprised how nice a piece of junk can look ;)

In the end, you'd be amazed by how little you can get for even the nicest vehicle on that lot. Used cars more than 3 years old aren't worth much, let alone something that's 15 years old.

Edited by BORG

Why would used parts prices be rising? The salvage yards have 180 days to strip the vehicles prior to shredding/crushing. Supply of desirable used parts should increase as the salvage yard will strip and inventory such used parts. In theory, demand for used parts should also decrease since you are removing approximately 750,000 potential customers from the mix. Our local scrap metal peddler claims that the market for scrap metal has dropped to nothing due to expected increased supply.

the annual scrapage rate the last 10 yrs is over 14 million cars per year...600k more wont hurt a damn thing...

I did see an old Acura Legend at the Honda dealers 'junk yard', and some Honda Passports [re-badged Isuzus]

Some online are whining about all the 'poor cars/trucks' being destroyed. I guess they never went to a real junkyard, and assume all old vehicles go to a 'farm' where they can run free.

Get over it, they all end up scrap sooner or later. There is demand for body parts, and the good ones will get parted out. Some salvage cars with good bodies get scavaged like goldfish in a piranha tank!

Every generation has its share of young car fans who cry about their HS dream 'beaters' getting crushed, well, such is the circle of life. There was a youtube video of a DSM Talon coupe getting crushed, but that is not a C4C. The kid was like 'all it needs is a new this, that, this, that...', boo hoo.

Go save cars if you got $$$, but most of us move on to new technology.

Edited by 630land

Sure am glad the government didn't come up with this stupid program in the mid 1970's or we would have lost cars like these-

1968-1969-ford-torino-gt-1.jpg

1966-ford-fairlane-427-01.jpg

define-1963-ford-galaxie-427-4.jpg

1971-ford-mustang-boss-351-1.jpg

250px-1972_Ford_Gran_Torino_Sport_SportsRoof.jpg

When people were trading those "gas guzzlers" in on sensible cars like Pintos and Mavericks.

Edited by F250