Note to ad readers: Get the name right

First, 'sho' as a pronunciation of 'sure' is hardly exclusive to black English. Secondly, so what? Radar ain't even a word, except that it's a pronouncible acronym. And what about the Strategic Air Command. All those "SAC" bases--or was that okay since 'sac' is a 'real', although extremely obscure, word in English?

Simply because "show" sounds stupid when pronouncing the acronym's letters sounds a hell of a lot better. And I know. My opinion is final. :P

Why?

You just love to argue shit into the ground until the opposing person just gets tired of arguing with you, right or wrong. "Show" sounds stupid. That's all there is to it. Bringing up all the other strawmen doesn't change that fact. "Show" sounds stupid. Really stupid. It sounds really, really stupid in the commercial. It will sound even more stupid if I hear people saying it on the street. If I end up buying one of these and someone calls it a "Show" I might drive to Dearborn, find the executive who allowed it to the called such a thing in their commercials and punch him in the face.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What puts meaning in a name?

Nicholas is from the Greek and it means "Victorious People", but what, in your case is the real 'meaning' of 'Nicholas'? It is *your* name, and therefore, it's meaning is *you*.

Regardless of its original meaning, SHO is descriptive of a high performance Taurus, therefore, meaning cannot be removed from the SHO tag, unless it is applied to a vehicle inconsistent with its previous usage.

In support of this, the most recent GTO was not built to 'homologate' anything for a racing series. In fact, I don't know that ANY GTO was ever homologated.

--

Regarding the references to black English--what of it? It is the prerogative of all people to speak as they see fit. To deem black English 'improper' is morally equivalent to demanding that black English be accepted as a suitable substitute for Midland English (the dominant US dialect) where conventions dictate its usage.

Everyone knows that GTO really stands for Go To Oldsmobile.

Around my town we have North Versailles (North Ver-Sales) and Washington (Worshington). I have a friend who lived in Cairo, GA (Kay-ro). I'm not that bothered by Show. It's just that Ford established the car as the S-H-O. I don't see any benefit in changing that now. GT isn't Git, SS isn't esss and SEL isn't Sell.

It's just that Ford established the car as the S-H-O. I don't see any benefit in changing that now. GT isn't Git, SS isn't esss and SEL isn't Sell.

That's the part that bothers me most. It's a complete switch from the consistency. Didn't Mullaly insist on bringing back the Taurus name to be consistent? Now they go from S-H-O, which was always pronounced the same as SE, SEL, or any other acronym trim they have used on the Taurus over the years to calling one lone trim level "Show"? :headscratch: It just doesn't make any sense. (And it sounds stupid :P)

That's the part that bothers me most. It's a complete switch from the consistency. Didn't Mullaly insist on bringing back the Taurus name to be consistent? Now they go from S-H-O, which was always pronounced the same as SE, SEL, or any other acronym trim they have used on the Taurus over the years to calling one lone trim level "Show"? :headscratch: It just doesn't make any sense. (And it sounds stupid :P )

Is it Tore us or is it Tar us? I have heard both.

/ˈtɔrəs/ [tawr-uhs]

I'll admit I'm guilty of calling it ECHO-boost. But hey, it was originally "TWIN-Force".....and as long as it's a twin turbo I'll call it that!

Well, depending on the word the "eco" is found in, I'll pronounce it differently too. I say "eek-ology" but I say often "echo-logical". As for EcoBoost....I have always leaned toward "eeko".

Listening to the TV one recent evening, there was an ad from a local Lincoln-Mercury dealer group about the new Lincoln MKS with the Echo Boost engine. That is right, they just could not pronounce Eco Boost correctly. Said it that way several times. Ended with the line " ... go to your local Lincoln-Mercury dealer to see the new MKS with Echo Boost today."

Makes it sound as if it is some enhancement to the audio system.

Note to Ford - send a pronunciation guide to dealer groups and ad readers.

I pronounce it Eeeeeeko Boost - I made a thread a while back asking how people pronounced it. I knew this would happen. My dad even pronounces it EchoBoost - I don't even bother correcting him anymore.

This sounds like the "SHO" thread a couple weeks back, which by the way, annoys the heck out of me. Pronouncing SHO as "show" is lame. Really lame. Makes it sound like they are trying to be "blingy" with it or something. Yup. Lame.

Yeah it does, and I too hate the "SHOW" pronunciation. I'm almost embarrassed when the ad comes on and other people are around because it sounds so stupid.

The Autoline interview on the Taurus had the three Ford Guys responsible for exterior and interior design and the marketing chief. The interior guy kept saying S-H-O and the other two used Show. Personally I prefer using S-H-O since that's what Ford called the original and the letters stand for Super High Output.

I'll always call it S-H-O.

Well, depending on the word the "eco" is found in, I'll pronounce it differently too. I say "eek-ology" but I say often "echo-logical". As for EcoBoost....I have always leaned toward "eeko".

I agree with all your points.

----

Oh, and Nick, don't forget about your old Explorer eXaLT!

Edited by rmc523

my linguistics prof . . . . asserted that it was a gross crime committed against the English language.

The twerp. The home of English, England's 'Oxbridge', does strange things to the language. For example, "St. John" is pronounced "sin-jinn", and "Magdalene College" is pronounced "Maudlin College". :)

That's the part that bothers me most. It's a complete switch from the consistency. Didn't Mullaly insist on bringing back the Taurus name to be consistent? Now they go from S-H-O, which was always pronounced the same as SE, SEL, or any other acronym trim they have used on the Taurus over the years to calling one lone trim level "Show"? :headscratch: It just doesn't make any sense. (And it sounds stupid :P)

My experience with the SHO goes way back and I've always heard it pronounced both ways. HOWEVER, as this YouTube Video of 1989 Ford commercials proves, Ford used S-H-O. If you don't want to go down memory lane and watch all the commericals, the SHO one starts at around the 4:00 mark.

The twerp. The home of English, England's 'Oxbridge', does strange things to the language. For example, "St. John" is pronounced "sin-jinn", and "Magdalene College" is pronounced "Maudlin College". :)

Read more carefully.... =We= asserted that the residents of Sinai had no right to pronounce it sigh-knee-eye. He corrected us.

And the English and place names is a whole subject unto itself.... Worster, Gloster, not to mention maaaazda & paaaasta.

Old English was fortuitously thrown into close contact with Old Norse only a few centuries after the two had diverged from Low German. The resultant -near- comprehensibility all along the border of the Danelaw, it is theorized, resulted in a dramatic simplification of Old English cases (as the cases were the primary difference between Old Norse & Old English) which made subsequent borrowing from Old Norman/French easier.

In short, the English language we know and love today was born as something of a Creole between Old English and Old Norse--it has a very simple and very rigid sentence structure and because of that, can incorporate loanwords from almost any other language.

The simple framework and near infinite flexibility of the English language, its ability to retain intelligibility while capturing the character of dozens of different cultures, is one of the reasons why I protest vigorously whenever anyone attempts to dictate the 'correct' way of pronouncing words in English.

English has become what it is today because it is a remarkably simple language (with a remarkably bad orthography) and one that has been gloriously undisciplined and unmanageable for the last millennium and a half.

Edited by RichardJensen

And the guy who named the .gif format pronounces it "Jiff".... doesn't make it right.

OTOH, it doesn't make it wrong either. Just like Leeenus Torvalds and Leeenix.

English has simply awful orthography, a positively gigantic geographic footprint and an incredibly simple system of declensions/cases/inflections. Trying to standardize pronunciation is, at best, like trying to hold back the tide with a broom.

I love the variety, the flexibility, and the boisterousness of it all--even when it leads to such mind-numbingly banal phrases as, "As a soho telecommuter, I office from home."

Would this be better?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Acad%C3%A9mie_fran%C3%A7aise

As French culture has come under increasing pressure with the widespread availability of English media, the Académie has tried to prevent the Anglicization of the French language. For example, the Académie has recommended, with mixed success, that some loanwords from English (such as walkman, software and email) be avoided, in favour of words derived from French (baladeur, logiciel, and courriel respectively). Moreover, the Académie has worked to modernize French orthography. The body, however, has sometimes been criticized for behaving in an excessively conservative fashion. A recent controversy involved the officialization of feminine equivalents for the names of several professions. For instance, in 1997, Lionel Jospin's government began using the feminine noun "la ministre" to refer to a female minister, following the official practice of Canada, Belgium and Switzerland and a common, though until then unofficial, practice in France. The Académie, however, insisted on the traditional use of the masculine noun, "le ministre," for a minister of either gender. Use of either form remains controversial.

And the spelling (orthography)----I could understand objecting to "Jiffs" if 'g's weren't 'j's in Ridge, gem, geology, gorge, George, Gypsy, etc.

Heck, I've been working on the 'totally worthless radio alphabet' as an illustration of just how bad English spelling is....

A - Aye

B - Bee

C - Cue

D - Dee

E - Eye

F - Filll

G - Gnu

H - Hour

I - Immigrate

J -

K - Knew

L -

M - Mnemonic

N - New

O - Our

P - Phil

Q - Queue (or Quay)

R -

S - Sea

T - Tea

U -

W - Why

X - Xi

Y - You

Z - Zwieback

Edited by RichardJensen

Nick, if I understand this correctly, the objection to SHO being pronounced as "show" is that it's not spelled as "SHOW"?? Really? Do you say radar as R-A-D-A-R? If not, and you ray-dar, then why? Ray-dar is NOT word! It's an acronym that's easily spoken as a word.

I personally say S-H-O, because that's what I always thought it was "back in the day". But that doesn't mean "show" is wrong. Hell, from perspective, Ford invented the SHO, they can call it whatever they want. I just think to get into a back and forth about whether it's "lame" and "stupid" with another mod seems to be a little over the top...

But then again, I have all sorts of HATE for Wes-con-sin. Stop it. JUST. STOP. IT. There's no "e" in Wisconsin.

Edited by BrewfanGRB