2011 Ford Focus C-Max Revealed

It's rumored that the C-Max will be one of the C-Segment cars that will accompany the new Focus to the US market.

Well, here it is! Amazing how quickly Ford EU pumps out new products! As for appearances...meh...not a fan of EU Ford design and this is a package I don't find terribly appealing to begin with. Again, gimme the Kuga or go home ;).

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/autoshow...;mktid=cj260233

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Uggg. Dumb dumb dumb. Tiny 7 seaters are decidedly -not- all the rage these days.

The minivan market is shrinking, families are shrinking, families are starting later in life (= higher average income). And the kids would have to be 'in the oven' at time of purchase in order to fit into those 3rd row seats by the time the vehicle is replaced.

Do Not Want.

(and I used to think a C-Max would be a great idea)

Edited by RichardJensen

Uggg. Dumb dumb dumb. Tiny 7 seaters are decidedly -not- all the rage these days.

The minivan market is shrinking, families are shrinking, families are starting later in life (= higher average income). And the kids would have to be 'in the oven' at time of purchase in order to fit into those 3rd row seats by the time the vehicle is replaced.

Do Not Want.

(and I used to think a C-Max would be a great idea)

That thing seats 7? I wouldn't wanna be those 3rd row passengers....

It looks good, not necessarily my favorite look, but it looks good.

The minivan market might be shrinking, but damn do people continue to balloon up. I visit Disney World or related theme parks about 2-4 times a month, and I'm amazed at the majority of obese people. Easily, 4 out of 5 are overweight. I dont think many will fit into a 7 passenger car such as this, but with limited income, I don't think they will have too many options for a new vehicle purchase.

My bestfriend has a Mazda5, and at some points we've had 8 people in it (everyone thin, cept the fattest one goes in the passenger front seat), but we make it work for short hauls. But when she bought it, it was really the only vehicle that could sit 6 (squeeze 7), for under $20K. Well the Kia Rondo was also out there, but really, she wanted a real car.

I mean, if they offer this "C-Max" as a 7 seater and they can make money on it, I dont see it as being much of an issue. They could also just order a normal 5 passenger version as well...

I like it as the return of the Focus Wagon which was surprisingly a good seller (at least in Canada). I don't think 7 seats would work however, I'm not in the market for it.

Except the Focus wagon is returning for the redesigned model....

The minivan market might be shrinking, but damn do people continue to balloon up. I visit Disney World or related theme parks about 2-4 times a month, and I'm amazed at the majority of obese people. Easily, 4 out of 5 are overweight. I dont think many will fit into a 7 passenger car such as this, but with limited income, I don't think they will have too many options for a new vehicle purchase.

My bestfriend has a Mazda5, and at some points we've had 8 people in it (everyone thin, cept the fattest one goes in the passenger front seat), but we make it work for short hauls. But when she bought it, it was really the only vehicle that could sit 6 (squeeze 7), for under $20K. Well the Kia Rondo was also out there, but really, she wanted a real car.

I mean, if they offer this "C-Max" as a 7 seater and they can make money on it, I dont see it as being much of an issue. They could also just order a normal 5 passenger version as well...

I agree with the bolded points.

HAving a family myself, I am INTENSELY interested in a small three row people mover. We are a two "mini"van household. I drive our older Dodge Caravan and my wife drives the newer Sienna (as she hauls the kids most places while I'm at work). The only reason that I kept the older minivan was to have the ability to get all the kids in an urgent situation, be able to haul stuff around like an oversized stationwagon, and to be able to occassionally carry some co-workers to a job site in a pinch. The caravan is starting to show its age and mileage and I am considering replacing it. At the moment, there are precious few vehicles out there that meet my needs...

1) Good fuel efficiency (I want to do better than 20 mpg in the city and hit 30 on the highways)

2) Can seat 6

3) Are easy to park in the city and navigate in and out of parking garages

4) Have an at least half way decent driving experience.

If the market does not change, I'm looking at getting a Mazda5. Where as the Rav4 offers a third, row, its not for human occupation. Same goes for the Rondo and XL7. I've been in the Mazda 5 before and, while the back row isn't the roomiest thing in the world, it will serve the purposes that I stated above. A full sized adult of modest stature can fit in the third row seats comfortably enough for a trip across town. An obesse person of larger stature will not find cramming themselves back there any fun at all. But, as I said, this is an occassionaly family hauler. Most of the time, all of the third row will be folded down and it will be used like a station wagon.

Couple comments:

looks like a slightly taller/bigger Fiesta...both a good and bad thing

That yellow does NOTHING for the car....bad choice for it IMO

The wheels look like they are off the SHO

I can go either way with it, but then again I'm not in the market for one either. I can see this coming to the States instead of a Station Wagon Focus, for two reasons...Station Wagon means bad things to people (like a Minivan) and Ford can sell this at a higher price point calling it a CUV sloted under the next gen Kuga/Escape or even as a Mercury.

Okay, so we're getting the S-Max, not the C-Max. I actually like the C-Max better ;)

Ford vehicles are looking more and more the same in Europe, maybe on the roads you can clearly identify what is what, but I'm not sure a strong corporate look is great for the individual vehicle.

Richard, the the Fusion and F-150 were very mild facelifts, hardly new cars. The Escape, Mustang, and Focus were reskinned, same hard points. The Taurus and Flex are the last all new vehicles since Ford Edge in 2007.

Edited by BORG

C-Max is a good idea. I just hope they also bring over the S-Max and Galaxy. ;)

too much product IMO waters down desirability....pick the best compromise of the three and develop it the BEST way possible....I would rather have 1 EXCEPTIONAL product than three ho-hums.....

Right;

We have a Wagon but up in the air if there'll be a C-Max? Is a S-Max type coming? I am trying to remember if the S-Max is Mazda 5 size and C-max is Rondo size. After confirmation, is a C-Max really necessary if there's a wagon? Can we justify by percentage of build in a flex-build environment?

In short, I'm confused (more so then usual).

post-27751-1252129173_thumb.jpg

Found this on a different Forum. The 7 seat C-Max mule and the 5 seat C-Max illustration appear to be the same from the B-pillar forward. The 7 seater has a much longer wheel base and a square back end.

Could the 5 seat C-Max be the Mercury White Space vehicle?

So will the Focus be a 5 seat C-max but with a much lower roof line?

C-Max is a good idea. I just hope they also bring over the S-Max and Galaxy. ;)

Yeah. Let's bring over boring anonymous vehicles to replace the Edge & Flex.

Surely, the Galaxy with its even more anonymous looks and lack of sliding doors will sell better than the Flex.

And, Borg, you have no idea what you're talking about.

The C-Max shares multiple hardpoints with the Kuga, and you left out the MKT & MKS in your little "boo hoo Ford NA boo hoo sob sob" complaint. Not to mention the substantial changes to the frame of the F150 & the engineering of several classes of engines/powertrains in NA (EB, V6, Boss, Scorpion, Coyote, hybrid).

Significantly, Ford/Peugeot have launched ONE wholly new engine family in the last three years: The 3.2L diesel 5 in the Transit. Compare that with four engine families stateside.

FoE:

2005 - Focus

2006 - refreshed Fiesta

2007 - Galaxy, S-Max (=shortened Galaxy), Mondeo,

2008 - refreshed Focus,

2009 - Kuga, Fiesta

2010 - C-Max

FNA:

2005 - New F150 Mustang, Five Hundred, Escape hybrid

2006 - Fusion, Milan, MKZ

2007 - Edge/MKX

2008 - refreshed Focus, Escape, Taurus, Sable

2009 - Flex, MKS, refreshed F150

2010 - Taurus, MKT, refreshed Fusion, Milan, MKZ, Fusion hybrid, Milan hybrid. refreshed Mustang

Edited by RichardJensen

^^ Thanks for that comparo, battyr! icon14.gif

We have a Wagon but up in the air if there'll be a C-Max? Is a S-Max type coming? I am trying to remember if the S-Max is Mazda 5 size and C-max is Rondo size. After confirmation, is a C-Max really necessary if there's a wagon? Can we justify by percentage of build in a flex-build environment?

In short, I'm confused (more so then usual).

_wlb___ovl_

103.9 - 170.6 - C-Max (current)

108.3 - 181.5 - Mazda5

112.2 - 187.7 - S-Max

112.2 - 189.7 - Galaxy

112.2 - 190.1 - Mondeo wagon

&

I got a hunch the Focus is going to be a lot swoopier & considerably different

which is why the new C-Max looks more like a mini-S-Max - a common design theme for the monospaces

and a different one for the cars

kind of doubt they'll do a Focus wagon too - at least in N.A.

&

wish we had some idea what they'll do for Merc!!!

wonder if they'll use the stretched C-Max for another car model (whitespace shhh...)

Edited by 2b2