The Mercury Division

Sup,

Okay i was reading the MKT comparo and something came to me. Somewhere in the review, the person reviewing mentioned that where Cadillac had turned into a Performance/Luxury brand, Lincoln had become and all out Luxury brand. Anyway, why not take that approach with the Mercury division. You could make a few sporty cars, something along the lines of the Miata or a smaller 350z. You could leave the all out luxury stuff to Lincoln, and the Semi-luxury/Sport to Mercury. Is this a really bad idea, am I really off base here?. Any thoughts?

Skape

P.S. Let's leave the Cougar out of it. It would be to muscular for what I mean, although I would love to see one.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the idea, but I'd like to see both Lincoln and Mercury take a dual approach. Lincoln would have sportier large luxury cars with V6's, V8's and such, while Mercury would have something along the lines of a Focus RS, a small 2-door coupe or convertible, and perhaps a performance version of the Kuga or something similar. I really think Lincoln needs to go after BMW, M-B, and Cadillac in terms of luxury performance (more LS and less MKZ type vehicles).

And a Cougar doesn't have to be a rebadged Mustang...it could be like you said, a 350Z type vehicle that is more refined and modern but still RWD.

Unfortunately for Mercury, Ford has been focusing its energy on the core vehicles...I'm sure Mercury will come in next once Lincoln is done with it's debuts. Supposedly the plan now is that Mercury will be smaller fuel efficient Euro Fords. I'm not sure how many they are planning on bringing over, but thats their plan...this month. I'm sure it'll change again at some point, I just hope that SOMETHING is done.

thanks for the thread, Skape :)

let's see if I can get this to make sense

sporty versions, ok

specifically sporty model(s), maaaaaybe if done carefully

& AFTER Mercury finally gets enough regular vehicles in their lineup

(ie more than TWO!)

First imho we have to take into account the "Small Merc Theory"

which hopefully will give Lincoln the elbow room to finish getting its act together.

How long to allow for this?... ...my guess, ONE product cycle MAX

& I'll even Start counting from the birth of the Zephyr/MKZ

so

until & concurrent with the CD3>>CD4/Eucd changeover

(tho the midsizers themselves won't be the key part of a New Merc Theory, since they'll continue on, just 'More So')

In that^meantime is the C3 question: What's Merc gonna get?

Seems there's general agreement on a Focus-based sedan

but

which wheelbase? the short/std of the 5-pass C-Max or the longer GRAND wheelbase?

and what about the Focus CoupeCabrio => Capri?

Then there's the question of the Electric 'Focus' (BEV) and a possible/probable Extender (Volt-ish) model-or-version ...are these the barely-rumored "whitespace" vehicle? ...could either/both of these appear as Mercurys?

& could Merc get a Fiesta-based model? (Comet)

& what's gonna happen with the Mariner? to KuGa or not to KuGa?

OK, I think that just about brings us up to the GRwdP intro (should it happen)...

...or at least the nextgen Mustang and Falcon (same thing ;))

so I'll quit (before I say the "C" word) by saying

NO 2-seaters for Mercury! Ever!!!

- Ford may be able to pull one off thru volume

- Lincoln thru exclusivity (AND Ford's volume)

but

every Merc should have at least 4 real seats (imho)

Edited by 2b2

Mercury is largely there to compliment Lincoln, so they have to appeal to a similar customer (or at least one that doesn't mind shopping at a Lincoln dealer). To that end, I think turning Mercury into a sporty car would be a failure. It sounds like Mercury may attract premium or tend-conscious shoppers who want something unique but affordable (think youger female). There is a movement toward premium small cars (something Europe and Japan have always had) so we may see Lincoln/Mercury tap into that market. Ultimately, I think Lincoln and Ford will successfully divy up the Mercury customer so there won't be a need to keep them around long-term.

My favorite "Mercury Memory" is riding in my grandpa's 1965 Monterey Breezeway sedan.

It looked like the ones below, but in some kind of gold/bronze color. It was SO cool when he'd put that slanted back window down in the summertime! :-)

Also... it had logos similar to this one on it. The last Marauder resurrected this classic logo. I wish that this logo could be updated and put on some new near-luxury / above-average performance sedans.

24257010336_medium.jpg

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/1963-1968-me...-breezeway3.htm

1965MontereyBreezeway.jpg

1963-1968-mercury-breezeway-4.jpg

1965%20Mercury%20Park%20Lane%20Breezeway-1001.jpg

-Ovaltine

Edited by Ovaltine

I dont know about Mercury being solely sports car but i dont have a problem with it having a few.

and of course im going to bring Cougar into this. Cougar can go either way, Mustang based or Milan based, they both may appeal to different audiences but at the end of the day i would be either and both would work.

I dont know about Mercury being solely sports car but i dont have a problem with it having a few.

and of course im going to bring Cougar into this. Cougar can go either way, Mustang based or Milan based, they both may appeal to different audiences but at the end of the day i would be either and both would work.

ya know, I think I'm coming around to a Milan-based sports coupe

th_SanMarino.jpg < click (chop by 'artandcolour')

IF it could be ALL EcoBoost

1.6 190hp (fwd only)

2.0 240hp (fwd & awd?)

2.5 300hp (awd only)

3.5 365hp (awd only)

but would 4 or 5 drivetrains be too many for the probable volume? & would I like the idea as much without the v6 EB?

Edited by 2b2

Artandcolour is a REEEEAAAAALLLY good chopper, he used to post over at the AutoWeek Combustion Chamber with me before it exploded.....maybe we can "pull" him over here to post from time to time...

the Combustion Chamber hahahah

heard they tried to revive it last year and kissed everyone's butt to come back, which they did for about a week

the Combustion Chamber hahahah

heard they tried to revive it last year and kissed everyone's butt to come back, which they did for about a week

Yeah, they did, but you had to provide all sorts of info just to get into the section just to register for it, so I didn't bother. I found this place anyway....

Mercury is a joke...I love love love my Mariner and I am considering a 2010 in late spring/early summer but other than that and the Milan they have nothing to offer over Ford. The dealership has been offering up to $7,000 to move Mountaineer's and they still can't ...they've had the same ones (in the same spots) for months. They can't however, keep MKZ's or MKX's on the lot ...and damn an MKX with those new wheels off the sport MKZ in Steel Blue is probably one of the sexiest CUVs i've ever seen. Not in my price range though :(

Mercury is a joke...I love love love my Mariner and I am considering a 2010 in late spring/early summer but other than that and the Milan they have nothing to offer over Ford. The dealership has been offering up to $7,000 to move Mountaineer's and they still can't ...they've had the same ones (in the same spots) for months. They can't however, keep MKZ's or MKX's on the lot ...and damn an MKX with those new wheels off the sport MKZ in Steel Blue is probably one of the sexiest CUVs i've ever seen. Not in my price range though :(

I am not sure why you are saying Mercury is a joke when you are consdering buying another one. Mercury has cars people want the Milan and Mariner prove that. I will say they are the only two vehicles that are competive in the brand but this is what Ford is working on, by 2011 Mountaineer and Grand Marquis will be gone and you will have a new mercury c-car by that time and perhaps more than one.

just give it minute.

500,000 Mercury Capri Mk1 sales in the early 70's good.

Mercury Merkur sales failure not so good.

What happened?

No matter how you try to spin it, the whole Merkur division was a failure. In its five-year run the division sold only 42,464 XR4Ti models and only 22,010 Scorpios in the United States and Canada before Ford pulled the plug in late 1989.

3876929475_8c4c37cc73.jpg

Edited by Ford Jellymoulds

Sup,

Okay i was reading the MKT comparo and something came to me. Somewhere in the review, the person reviewing mentioned that where Cadillac had turned into a Performance/Luxury brand, Lincoln had become and all out Luxury brand. Anyway, why not take that approach with the Mercury division. You could make a few sporty cars, something along the lines of the Miata or a smaller 350z. You could leave the all out luxury stuff to Lincoln, and the Semi-luxury/Sport to Mercury. Is this a really bad idea, am I really off base here?. Any thoughts?

Skape

P.S. Let's leave the Cougar out of it. It would be to muscular for what I mean, although I would love to see one.

kill it

Mercury's are rebadged ford's. Brand's made sense when people were brand loyal over there life. Now they just take a good design and water it down to satisfy one brand's "sporty" image and another brand's "luxury" image etc. Waste of effort. Build 1 great version...not three mediocre versions.