More Explorer Mule spy shots

The AWD Aerostars had, IIRC, ControlTrac AWD (since they shared the same running gear as the Ranger & Explorer).

For driving in town under varying circumstances, I can see how AWD would be preferable to 4x4.

Had a '99 Explorer Limited 5.0L AWD, and that thing was a POS in the snow. Well light dustings and slightly icy conditions were okay, but any considerable amount of snow or ice on the road and I much preferred driving my fathers '96 Explorer XLT 4.0 4x4 or my '99 Ranger Scab XLT 3.0L 4x4.

Edited by V8-X

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Had a '99 Explorer Limited 5.0L AWD, and that thing was a POS in the snow. Well light dustings and slightly icy conditions were okay, but any considerable amount of snow or ice on the road and I much preferred driving my fathers '96 Explorer XLT 4.0 4x4 or my '99 Ranger Scab XLT 3.0L 4x4.

I kind of find that hard to believe...the 96 and 99 Explorers where nearly identical to one another...maybe it was the tires?

Don't know what to tell you, they had identical almost AWD systems......

I kind of find that hard to believe...the 96 and 99 Explorers where nearly identical to one another...maybe it was the tires?

remembering back I beleive the 5.0 system was permanent....the 6 cylinders was defeatable, Auto or full time, chosen with a dash mounted dial...that said, the difference could be the systems or the 5.0 torque delivery being different......

Don't know what to tell you, they had identical almost AWD systems......

No they didn't. The V8 had permanent AWD whereas the V6 had full or part time 4WD.

That said, my mom's '96 AWD V8 was very good in the snow.

Does tire choice play a big part in snow traction?

Absolutely!!

Absolutely!!

Yes because I was going to say if someone has AWD or 4WD

and is having problems in light snow, it has to be down to tires.

I've heard a lot of people skimp and buy all weathers and then complain

because they can't drive their car properly in the snow.

I had the stock General tires that came with the Limited models, which were good tires. Not sure exactly what tires my father had on, but they weren't a well known reputable brand. Could have swore he got them at Pep Boys or someplace like that.

Does tire choice play a big part in snow traction?

Again it could have, but I believe the General tires on my '99 were better than what my father had on his '96.

remembering back I beleive the 5.0 system was permanent....the 6 cylinders was defeatable, Auto or full time, chosen with a dash mounted dial...that said, the difference could be the systems or the 5.0 torque delivery being different......

Yes. The 5.0L models either came 2WD or permanent AWD. My fathers '96 had the part-time 4x4. You put his in 4x4 and there were no problems when compared to the AWD setup I had. Of course his 4x4 was more of a 50/50 split in power, while the AWD was if remember correctly a 35/65 split. Which I think the power split was the biggest issue and why I vow never to own an AWD SUV/Truck again. Maybe in a car though.

At any rate, the Aerostar would've had the ControlTrac AWD same as the V6 Explorer.

I wonder why the V8s had a different AWD system.....

Now wasn't the ControlTrac an auto 4x4, that engaged automatically? My fathers '96 didn't have that, you had to manually put it into 4x4 anytime you wanted 4x4.

These pictures are pratically identical to the '99 I had. Never took pics of my '99 cause it was so problematic I never wanted to remember it for too long.

image.jpg

explorer.jpg

My Ranger & fathers '96.

1999RangerWeb2.jpg

99Ranger96Explorer.jpg

Also, the hub seals were notorius for drying out and squealing like hell on the AWD Explorers. Had to replace the hubs twice on the thing too. But of course I think just about everything was replaced on the Explorer. Thing almost drove me away from Ford with all it's electronic failures.

From my understanding, the system on the V6 couldn't handle the torque of the V8.

Can't remember exactly why either, but think that was part of it. I know if had a different tranny as well compared to your normal 4.0L Explorer, which was a good thing cause those trannies were horrible on the V6 models.

Also, my father had the 4.0L OHV model, not the 4.0L SOHC model that produced more power.

Our Aerostar has the OHV 4.0L. It is full time AWD with 60-40 split (original transmission btw and shift's as it always has since new) which to me is why the thing is so darn good in the snow. It is the extended model, So there is alot more weight on the rear tire's then either that of the standard Aerostar or Explorer IMHo.

Our old '02 S-Crew in 4X4 mode would "push" while turning. The ancient Aerostar could/can turn much better.

"I had the stock General tires that came with the Limited models, which were good tires"

I don't think there is such a thing as a "good" General Tire! Nothing but complaints on those things.

Generals work best when holding the plastic down on top of the silage pile!

"I had the stock General tires that came with the Limited models, which were good tires"

I don't think there is such a thing as a "good" General Tire! Nothing but complaints on those things.

Generals work best when holding the plastic down on top of the silage pile!

Wow. There's a reference only a few people will get.

2776.jpg