Chevrolet to Unveil RWD Cop Car

mackinaw

From today's Automotive News. Article by Rick Kranz:

"Chevrolet plans to announce Monday that it will offer a rear-drive police car that appears likely to be based on the Pontiac G8 sedan.

Chevrolet will outline the strategy at the International Association of Chiefs of Police convention in Denver, the division said in an e-mail today.

In an interview with an Australian newspaper last month, General Motors Co. CEO Fritz Henderson said the automaker is working on a car for U.S. police agencies, using a rear-drive sedan developed by Holden, GM's Australian subsidiary. Holden developed and assembled the Pontiac G8 and developed the new Chevrolet Camaro.

“We've been working on a package for (U.S.) police applications. I think that's going to work,” Henderson told The Sydney Morning Herald. “We're pretty optimistic about it.” His comments were posted on the leftlanenews.com Web site.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

“We've been working on a package for (U.S.) police applications. I think that's going to work,” Henderson told The Sydney Morning Herald. “We're pretty optimistic about it.” His comments were posted on the leftlanenews.com Web site.

So it's about to be unveilled, and they THINK it's going to work?

You gotta wonder what is going through GM Execs brains...

Yes the Commodore/Pontiac G8 is a great car but trying to build and export them from Australia

is a logistics and financial nightmare, that's why Ford has resisted the knee jerk urge to import Falcon.

This is all about GM giving Holden justification for local manufacturing,over 60% of all Commodores

sold in AUS are base models sold to fleets so the bulk of vehicles don't make that much money.

Holden is relying on volume sales to survive but over at Ford they have a different philosophy.

In the last 12 months, the Falcon buying demographic has changed immensely,

over 90% of Falcons sold now are mid and upper series luxury and sports models.

This means that the Falcon's business model is completely different and less subject

to buying whims of fleet buyers.

I feel sorry for GM, worse than stupid mistakes the constant second guessing of decisions

has cost them much in the eyes of the public. Not having a consistent plan for volume products

is hurting GM deeply and their customers are voting with their feet.

You just know that when or if Ford does a RWD car it will be a much better plan and product

than the GM debacle

Edited by jpd80

magic8ball.jpg

Do I need to post the "day in the life of Lutz the decision-maker" story again?

Naaaaaaaa....that would require some level foresight and planning...that would be very un-GM-like....

Don't worry, tomorrow's headline will be that this Chevy G8-based, Commodore-based RWD cop car is cancelled.

I think GM was intending to produce a U.S. police-spec. G8 all along. Holden Commodors in L.A.P.D. markings were spotted some time ago. Police cars are low volume, low margin (don't argue, I am a fleet guy). The profits are not much, but the cars are visible. Good for the corporate image. Until 1996, when both Ford and Chevy were active in that market, neither really made any money at police cars, but civilian sales of the Caprice/Impala SS and Crown Vic. at least made the platforms profitable. G.M. dropped the Caprice when retail sales dropped below 50% of total sales. That gave Ford some breathing room, and even allowed a little money to be spent to get the performance of the 'Police Interceptor' Crown Vic. up to the level of the 1996 LT-1 Caprice. The situation was a lot like the DC-10/L1011 story. My old man was in the aerospace industry (far back enough when it was simply the aviation industry). I remember well in the late 60's while Boeing was working on the 747, that both Lockheed and Mc.Donnell-Douglas were working on 300 seat intermediate range domestic airliners. They were looking to better the DC-8 Super 61, then the highest capacity airliner with about a 250 seat cabin. The DC-10 and L1011 were amazingly similar. Other than the mounting of the tail engine and Lockheed's use of Rolls-Royce engines the aircraft were essentially the same, and both sold in respectable numbers. And neither made a dime on them. The market for a 300 seat domestic jet was just big enough for one supplier to make a profit, not two. I think a similar situation to today's police car market. G.M. was waiting for Ford to exit (a likely event given the age of the Crown Vic. and low sales of the Marquis and T.C.), and to see how successful the Charger would be in law inforcement. I'll admit I thought Dodge had a winner in the Charger, but its small trunk, poor visibilty, and spotty quality control seems to have made it not the law enforcement car of choice. With Ford finally leaving the RWD police car market, Chevy will have most all of it to themselves, and a good chance to make some money at it. I'll bet if Ford were to bring the Falcon over G.M. would rethink their decision regarding a police G8, but I don't think that is likely. The advantage for GM is the G8 is already built in LHD versions and is certified for U.S. emissions and safety regulations.

The profits are not much, but the cars are visible. Good for the corporate image.

Whats the point if you don't make money? I think its highly overrated to get a good corporate image from having a car as a police cruiser...who in the hell buys a car labeled as a cop car besides cop-wannabes?

I think GM was intending to produce a U.S. police-spec. G8 all along. Holden Commodors in L.A.P.D. markings were spotted some time ago. Police cars are low volume, low margin (don't argue, I am a fleet guy). The profits are not much, but the cars are visible. Good for the corporate image. Until 1996, when both Ford and Chevy were active in that market, neither really made any money at police cars, but civilian sales of the Caprice/Impala SS and Crown Vic. at least made the platforms profitable. G.M. dropped the Caprice when retail sales dropped below 50% of total sales. That gave Ford some breathing room, and even allowed a little money to be spent to get the performance of the 'Police Interceptor' Crown Vic. up to the level of the 1996 LT-1 Caprice. The situation was a lot like the DC-10/L1011 story. My old man was in the aerospace industry (far back enough when it was simply the aviation industry). I remember well in the late 60's while Boeing was working on the 747, that both Lockheed and Mc.Donnell-Douglas were working on 300 seat intermediate range domestic airliners. They were looking to better the DC-8 Super 61, then the highest capacity airliner with about a 250 seat cabin. The DC-10 and L1011 were amazingly similar. Other than the mounting of the tail engine and Lockheed's use of Rolls-Royce engines the aircraft were essentially the same, and both sold in respectable numbers. And neither made a dime on them. The market for a 300 seat domestic jet was just big enough for one supplier to make a profit, not two. I think a similar situation to today's police car market. G.M. was waiting for Ford to exit (a likely event given the age of the Crown Vic. and low sales of the Marquis and T.C.), and to see how successful the Charger would be in law inforcement. I'll admit I thought Dodge had a winner in the Charger, but its small trunk, poor visibilty, and spotty quality control seems to have made it not the law enforcement car of choice. With Ford finally leaving the RWD police car market, Chevy will have most all of it to themselves, and a good chance to make some money at it. I'll bet if Ford were to bring the Falcon over G.M. would rethink their decision regarding a police G8, but I don't think that is likely. The advantage for GM is the G8 is already built in LHD versions and is certified for U.S. emissions and safety regulations.

A nearby neighbor of mine down the street is a cop - he had an undercover Chrysler 300 a year or so ago, then he switched to an undercover Impala for a long time, now just yesterday I saw he has an undercover Charger......wonder if I'll be seeing an "undercover" G8 in his driveway soon?

Edited by rmc523

I think GM was intending to produce a U.S. police-spec. G8 all along.

I can't credit the appearance of absolute chaos in decision making as evidence of a deeper plan to conquer the cop car market.

I'll admit I thought Dodge had a winner in the Charger, but its small trunk, poor visibilty, and spotty quality control seems to have made it not the law enforcement car of choice.

I wonder how the G8 will fare in terms of quality & durability. Methinks GM won't be able to count on taking 100% of Ford's share, as I expect Ford will be able to retain a significant portion for itself in detective's cars and other non-pursuit vehicles.

Definitely not impressed by GM's thinking on this one. Apparently they're considering the ability to make thirteen different 'decisions' on this as 'progress', and I don't believe that even this decision has been properly thought out.

Do I need to post the "day in the life of Lutz the decision-maker" story again?

Don't worry, tomorrow's headline will be that this Chevy G8-based, Commodore-based RWD cop car is cancelled.

... to be replaced by the plug-in hybrid SUV "Buick Donut" for police applications. (The "Donut" standing for the fact that it will have 0 emissions for the first 40 miles, not counting the emissions by its human occupants.)

Edited by nelsonlu

I can't credit the appearance of absolute chaos in decision making as evidence of a deeper plan to conquer the cop car market.

I wonder how the G8 will fare in terms of quality & durability. Methinks GM won't be able to count on taking 100% of Ford's share, as I expect Ford will be able to retain a significant portion for itself in detective's cars and other non-pursuit vehicles.

Definitely not impressed by GM's thinking on this one. Apparently they're considering the ability to make thirteen different 'decisions' on this as 'progress', and I don't believe that even this decision has been properly thought out.

I like Ford's process much better, the Falcon to USA has been studied internally ad nauseum.

Exportation case is constantly reviewed and if a product is deem appropriate, I'm sure it gets

a fair hearing.

An interesting version of the Falcon is due in 2011, Ecoboost I-4 that keeps up with the I-6

and is said to offer surprising improvements in fuel economy. Ford is hoping to re enter

Australian fleet business with this vehicle.

Ford's Aussie PR people have kept open the idea of exports, you wouldn't do that on a whim....