MKT... oh, so close

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My car (a BMW convertible) is about 7 years old with 80K+ miles and getting too small for the kids to climb in and out of on a regular basis, but holding up fairly well. She wants me to get rid of it soon because I can't haul the kids around well, but I really love this car and don't want to get rid of it. But we were thinking of getting a more practical car for me, in a year or 2.

The MKT will also be nice for when we go out with another couple, but don't want to squeeze them in my small car, and don't want to drive around in a van. We try and keep our cars longer, and this may be one way to keep the miles off the other 2. However, she has laid down the law and said when our oldest starts to drive in 2 or 3 years, the BMW has to go. And I don't blame her. No 15-16 year old should be driving around in a M3 convertible. I'll probably keep the MKT and start looking at a Fiesta for her.

I came up with this crazy scheme while we were out for drinks one night. It must have been the alcohol that swayed her into agreeing with this plan, but it kinda sounds logical... doesn't it?

Glad it worked out nicely for everyone. Also good move using the method people have used to influence decisions since forever. Ply the woman with alcohol. ;)

Update.

Just pulled the trigger on a Tuxedo Blk MKT with EcoBoost. I'm waiting for it to come in to my local Ford dealer over the next few days.

I guess no other Christmas presents for me (at least for the next few years.)

:happy feet:

Congratulations CJ and happy motoring.

Thanks for the comments, everybody.

Can you tell us what your purchase price and finance or lease? What was the dealing process at the dealer?

Have you already gave us the details and I missed it?

MRSP was $57475.

Purchased it for $54230.

With taxes (damn you taxes!), titles and fees, it came to $57,900.

0% financing for 36 months.

The local Ford dealer was great to deal with. He arranged the deal with a LM dealer he knows.

Easy process the whole time.

Edited by CJRivera

I rode in one recently, not enough time to really get an idea of how it drives. but the bump where my right foot is supposed to go was annoying, of course that's there because it's FWD platform. Looks just as fugly in person too.

You can save a lot of money by getting the Flex which is really good looking and has the same features. And the ecoboost Flex hauls ass for a vehicle of it's size and weight!

Apparently, you cannot read...he said the Flex was out because the wife didn't like the way it looked :shades:

MRSP was $57475.

Purchased it for $54230.

With taxes (damn you taxes!), titles and fees, it came to $57,900.

0% financing for 36 months.

The local Ford dealer was great to deal with. He arranged the deal with a LM dealer he knows.

Easy process the whole time.

I heard! Is the US government giving everyone who buy a new vehicle some sort of $4000 tax credit (not sure details) for 2009?

Will you get this tax credit?

I have been making that argument for years, and have been flamed for it the whole time.

Good luck trying to find somebody compassionate on this board to your needs. They will point you to product you don't want, all the while not knowing what you need because they don't even have kids.

I posted a long time ago that if the MKT had been a Minivan like car with sliding doors, then Lincoln could have used a creative way to pull off the "sucide door" look.

I'll have to dissent from the "looks better in person" school of thought - I recently did a little shopping and the MKT (Lincoln's assinine naming conventions aside...) looks just as ugly in person as it does in the pictures. It's the Barbara Streisand of vehicles - maybe it can sing, but how can you get past the nose?

In any case, I really like the Flex - it's grown on me style-wise, though I once again hate the name. What was wrong with Fairlane? I really like the idea of one with the EB motor - my wife's '08 CTS is tempting this pickup truck driving redneck to move back to the dark side and buy a <shudder> car. Of course, the EB Flex is actually more expensive than her loaded '08 CTS, and we're having a hard time justifying paying more for a Ford station wagon than we did for a Cadillac sports sedan. Plus I've heard/read about some "issues" with the AWD system that give me pause...

Still, Ford is making serious strides in the vehicle design, marketing (Mike Rowe has almost completely purged the awful "Life on the Edge" commercials from my brain), and focus. Kudos!

I'll have to dissent from the "looks better in person" school of thought - I recently did a little shopping and the MKT (Lincoln's assinine naming conventions aside...) looks just as ugly in person as it does in the pictures. It's the Barbara Streisand of vehicles - maybe it can sing, but how can you get past the nose?

What color was it? When we were looking, the lighter colored MKTs seemed to have the more of the "big nose" look compared to the darker colors. Although I could see some people not like it, no matter the color.

What color was it? When we were looking, the lighter colored MKTs seemed to have the more of the "big nose" look compared to the darker colors. Although I could see some people not like it, no matter the color.

The one I looked at was a lighter color - maybe a silver/blue? In the end, at least people are actually talking about the styling on a Ford product unlike, say, the eminently forgetable 500. Good luck with your MKT - please keep us updated! :)