Explorer Sport Trac name change??

Didnt I hear something that Sport Trac production stopped and its being phased out shortly? I believe because once the Unibody Explorer comes out, the Sport Trac will be an orphaned platform ?

The 2010 Sport Trac is still in production. Our dealership just got another 2010 Sport Trac scheduled last week.

The Explorer Sport Trac has been downplaying the "Explorer" part of its name since the redesigned 2007 Sport Trac came out! I remember because I thought it was a pretty stupid idea to do at the time. However, you may be onto something there in Ford deciding to possibly separate out the Sport Trac from the Explorer itself eventually. I guess we'll have to wait and see but I know the current Sport Trac can't soldier on as it is on an orphaned platform.

The first generation was so popular because its starting price was around $21,000 for a 2wd model, now that price has skyrocketed to around $28,000. Ford has priced the Sport Trac out of its original market. The Sport Trac has crossed into F-150 territory. Ford should redesign the Sport Trac and price it closer to the original as it hit the sweet spot of the market. It really is the swiss army knife of vehicles. Not everyone needs a truck as huge as the F-150.

..... Not everyone needs a truck as huge as the F-150.

Agreed...I was looking at Expedition and F150 and I wonder if the doors from Expy would fit on F150...body lines look the same but the Expy doors don't have the twin level side windows like the F150 and Super Duties do...the box top edge follows the higher window on F150, making the box itself taller. Now, if the F150 had Expy doors on it, then the box could be redesigned with a lower top rail height thus making the vehicle look "less huge", then go on with a chassis lightening program, taking out weight without compromising the vehicle where ever you can...ie, composite bed panels, smaller size rear axle, lighter duty spring packs, more use of aluminum in key areas....viola F100 is born!

Here is a project that should be green lighted as it can be done pretty much straight out of the parts bins....except the box panels of course....

Thoughts?? Hey RMC....fire up your programs and make it so....LOL

I don't see why it couldn't. The original Explorer was based off the Ranger platform.

What'd be the point of that if they're gonna build a crew-cab Ranger anyway?

Can't see why they'd have to kill the Sport Trac. They could move production to St.Paul for the remainder of its lifespan.

Remainder of it's lifespan? What would that be, an extra year?

Not enough volume to justify a stand-alone platform.

Especially since we don't even know how well it sells now...

What'd be the point of that if they're gonna build a crew-cab Ranger anyway?

How much you wanna bet that the crew cab Ranger gets called Sport Trac....the latest re-design is something I really like, but the fuel economy is horrid. Ford needs to address that with a lighter design and EcoBoost technology.

Edited by twintornados

How much you wanna bet that the crew cab Ranger gets called Sport Trac....the latest re-design is something I really like, but the fuel economy is horrid. Ford needs to address that with a lighter design and EcoBoost technology.

Agreed. A Crew Cab/SuperCrew version of a next generation Ranger could easily fit the bill for Sport Trac customers' needs with a more fuel efficient powertrain. A long overdue next generation Ranger with a Sport Trac SuperCrew derivative could be the answer to both models.

Not enough volume to justify a stand-alone platform.

It's not a stand alone platform. The "Explorer" Sport Trac is more a gussied up Ranger than an Explorer. Get underneath and look. I have, I own a '08 FX4 and my next door neighbour has a '09 Sport Trac (I got him the XPlan PIN). The "Explorer" label is more to extract money than differentiate vehicles.

Can't see it being a huge investment to do both in St Paul until the 4-door Ranger comes online.

Especially since we don't even know how well it sells now...

I don't have official numbers either but I do know that when my neighbour was searching for his anyhere in the Hamilton/Toronto area (an area of about 6 million people) the pickings were slim; he had to settle for a lower trim level than he wanted because of a lack of availability.

Edited by OAC_Sparky

Well that could very well be, I didn't think of that - my point was just that it would not be it's own/Explorer-based vehicle as it currently is now.

Is the Adrenaline package still available currently?

Yes, it is.

I don't have official numbers either but I do know that when my neighbour was searching for his anyhere in the Hamilton/Toronto area (an area of about 6 million people) the pickings were slim; he had to settle for a lower trim level than he wanted because of a lack of availability.

Well just because there weren't many to choose from doesn't necessarily mean they're selling well...

It's not a stand alone platform. The "Explorer" Sport Trac is more a gussied up Ranger than an Explorer. Get underneath and look. I have, I own a '08 FX4 and my next door neighbour has a '09 Sport Trac (I got him the XPlan PIN). The "Explorer" label is more to extract money than differentiate vehicles.

Can't see it being a huge investment to do both in St Paul until the 4-door Ranger comes online.

Are you sure about that? The Sport Trac is nearly 4 inches wider, 7 inches longer, has the IRS from the Explorer, and Explorer sheet metal, power trains and interior. I don't know if it has the fully boxed frame the Explorer has, the Ranger is only boxed in the front. That sounds like a major investment to make St Paul be able to build what seems to be a slow seller.

I do agree the price is really holding it back. I would say it should be about 2-3k more than the equivalent supercab Ranger.

Finally, I'm hoping the next Ranger offers the crew cab with a 6 ft box. That 4 ft box is too short for what I use my truck for. Therefore I have a super cab Ranger, but can't take more than 1 person over 5 ft tall with me. I don't want or need all of the capabilities of the F-150.

Are you sure about that? The Sport Trac is nearly 4 inches wider, 7 inches longer, has the IRS from the Explorer, and Explorer sheet metal, power trains and interior. I don't know if it has the fully boxed frame the Explorer has, the Ranger is only boxed in the front. That sounds like a major investment to make St Paul be able to build what seems to be a slow seller.

Comparing my '06 Explorer to an '09 Sport Trac in the parking lot here at the station tonight, they look identical underneath from all I can tell.

I stopped at my local Ford dealership today....sure enough, it still says "Explorer" on the badge...but in smaller print under the Larger "SPORT TRAC" letters on the trim tag....about the same as the "XLT" lettering .....it definitely is a Sport Trac with the "Explorer" trim as opposed to a few years ago when it was an Explorer with a "Sport Trac" trim.....

The sport trac shares absolutely nothing in common with the ranger and has absolutely everything in common with the explorer. Even the first generation was this way. Look again. Frame, drivetrain, interior, fuel tank, brakes, everything.... except the bed.