EcoBoost in F150

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On the Ecoboost in pickups, I say it is a good idea. Many F150s are used by suburban families as second cars and as lifestyle vehicles. They never see heavy service, and these are the sales that evaporate when fuel prices spike. A good, economical (fuel wise) drivetrain for moderate service applications is a good addition.

And there are more than a few with my attitude (gained from fleet operations and experience) - I do not care how many cylinders, how many valves, where the camshafts are located, block arrangement, and whatever the engine has; as long as it has enough power to move the load economically and lasts the life of the chassis with just routine maintenance.

I wonder if Ford is working on a successor EcoBoost that reverses the flow of the heads to mount the turbos in the valley between the heads ala Scorpion...

Seems a bad idea for a low profile transverse mount engine application.

And, BTW, those turbo ducts are U-G-L-Y ugly. Look like someone went to Lowes and bought a bunch of PVC drainpipe and some cement and went crazy.

On the Ecoboost in pickups, I say it is a good idea. Many F150s are used by suburban families as second cars and as lifestyle vehicles. They never see heavy service, and these are the sales that evaporate when fuel prices spike. A good, economical (fuel wise) drivetrain for moderate service applications is a good addition.

I think thats exactly what Ford is planning on doing...the spike in F-series sales was to these people..as long as it has enough balls to pull a small boat, it should do fine.

I wonder if Ford is working on a successor EcoBoost that reverses the flow of the heads to mount the turbos in the valley between the heads ala Scorpion...

The only real advantage would be to reduce the number of turbos (Packaging). Or to be able to connect to 2 turbos in sequence. (Torq and power).

I don't think it would work in FWD. Is it worth redesigning much of the engine for trucks only? There is also less room in the valley of a 60 degree V6.

The only real advantage would be to reduce the number of turbos (Packaging). Or to be able to connect to 2 turbos in sequence. (Torq and power).

I don't think it would work in FWD. Is it worth redesigning much of the engine for trucks only? There is also less room in the valley of a 60 degree V6.

I suspect there are also different reasons to do that on a deisel application than on a gas engine. On the Scorpion it was stated that one of the reasons was to reduce turbo lag by shortening all the plumbing. That may not be as big an issue with a direct injected gas engine.

I suspect there are also different reasons to do that on a deisel application than on a gas engine. On the Scorpion it was stated that one of the reasons was to reduce turbo lag by shortening all the plumbing. That may not be as big an issue with a direct injected gas engine.

I would think it would be a bigger issue with direct injected gas engine because you are not starting with high torque at the low end that you do with a diesel. The only concern is that you don't bake (over heat) the turbo. I would suggest that shortening he plumbing will be a bigger concern in the future as the newer turbos become more heat resistant.

I would think it would be a bigger issue with direct injected gas engine because you are not starting with high torque at the low end that you do with a diesel.

Anyone have the Torque graph for the 6.7L Diesel? I know the EB Engine hit peak torque at 1000-1200 RPMS and its a giant flat line (in AWD apps) across the board.

I have always been suspicious of this graph. It show that max torque is achieved at about 1800 rpm yet the quoted peak torque is at 3500 rpm. Maybe that "flat" line is not so flat !

Here's a real one form the Falcon FPV F6 Turbo I-6, PFI Single turbo and about 12 lbs boost.

Just over 400 hp and 400 lb ft of torque. Boost and torque are managed via an electronic waste gate.

You'll notice that it has just over 500 nm at 1500 rpm, that's around 360 lb ft......

4_L.jpg

Edited by jpd80

A month or two ago I remember reading that Mike Levin of pickuptrucks.com got a chance to drive a F-150 with the 3.5L Ecoboost. He couldn't comment on it, but when asked how it drove he "said" :shift: Well, the smiley wasn't exactly like that but it implied that the truck was a blast to drive.

Of course, just because Ford has an ecoboosted F-150 doesn't mean they'll be selling them. I'm hoping for an ecoboosted F-100/Ranger that gets high 20s-30s highway and high teens to low 20s city. Please please please please please!

...I'm hoping for an ecoboosted F-100/Ranger that gets high 20s-30s highway and high teens to low 20s city. Please please please please please!

+1

I am only speculating as I have before on other threads....but I would love to see an F100/Ranger on a Europe Transit full size chassis...possibilities are endless with that design. A sedan based on the chassis would make a great taxi..... :shades:

"several all new V-8 engines"? I've only heard of two. What others are there?

Gas 5.0L V-8, 6.2L V-8, Diesel 6.7L V-8, and maybe 4.4L V-8

OK, maybe not all are available in the F150, but they are all truck engines.

Edited by battyr

• 2 weeks later...

Article in todays Plain Dealer has a few comments from someone at Ford hinting that the ecoboost 3.5 in the F150 will have a significant boost in torque over car and CUV ratings.

Interesting quote - "There's so much torque, you're not going to be able to use it all unless you're towing something," Kapp said.

article

I had to post some data from the article lfeq..

"...CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Ford has spent the past 18 months bragging about its Brook Park-built 3.5-liter EcoBoost engine, but the turbocharged V-6 won't be able to show off its full capabilities until next year.

Already on sale in the Taurus SHO flagship sedan and several other Ford and Lincoln vehicles, the EcoBoost engine offers V-8 levels of power, as much as 365 horsepower, with V-6 levels of fuel economy.

But Dan Kapp, Ford's director of the EcoBoost program, said he's been keeping the engine on a tight leash.

"We had to cap the boost on the cars," Kapp said in an interview at Ford's engineering center in Dearborn, Mich., last week.

Without limits, the engine's twin turbochargers would produce enough power to rip apart the all-wheel-drive transmissions used on the Taurus. Kapp added that Ford chose to offer the EcoBoost option only with all-wheel-drive because front-wheel-drive transmissions would have required a further limiting of the output.

That won't be a problem late next year when Ford launches the EcoBoost in the F-150 pickup, a vehicle with a heavy-duty truck transmission built to handle power..."

WHY ISN"T THIS ENGINE IN THE 2011 MUSTANG? :banghead:

I had to post some data from the article lfeq..

"...CLEVELAND, Ohio -- Ford has spent the past 18 months bragging about its Brook Park-built 3.5-liter EcoBoost engine, but the turbocharged V-6 won't be able to show off its full capabilities until next year.

Already on sale in the Taurus SHO flagship sedan and several other Ford and Lincoln vehicles, the EcoBoost engine offers V-8 levels of power, as much as 365 horsepower, with V-6 levels of fuel economy.

But Dan Kapp, Ford's director of the EcoBoost program, said he's been keeping the engine on a tight leash.

"We had to cap the boost on the cars," Kapp said in an interview at Ford's engineering center in Dearborn, Mich., last week.

Without limits, the engine's twin turbochargers would produce enough power to rip apart the all-wheel-drive transmissions used on the Taurus. Kapp added that Ford chose to offer the EcoBoost option only with all-wheel-drive because front-wheel-drive transmissions would have required a further limiting of the output.

That won't be a problem late next year when Ford launches the EcoBoost in the F-150 pickup, a vehicle with a heavy-duty truck transmission built to handle power..."

WHY ISN"T THIS ENGINE IN THE 2011 MUSTANG? :banghead:

There've been rumors it will be.