Transit Connect

How are they going to get around the chicken tax on it then? Rip the interior out and put a new one back in? I know that the TC should be made stateside hopefully within the next couple years but what are they going to do before then?

Chicken tax doesn't apply to 'wagons'. The Transit Connects are all shipped over as 'wagons', that is, with a second row of seats and back windows.

However, all that are destined for use as panel trucks have the glass taken off and recycled and the seats taken out and shredded.

A family van/taxi would not need the windows pulled or seats shredded, since it's expected to be delivered with those things.

That's right.

Per one government regulation, the Transit Connect is a 'wagon' (chicken tax')

But per another government regulation, the Transit Connect is a 'truck' (CAFE)

Go figure.

Re: 'Family One'

Don't think that one's going to happen until the TC is built here, and even then, it's probably a non-starter since the Grand C-Max will be roughly the same size and will be a better fit.

agreed....TC would need a serious powertrain upgrade to embrace that move as well....

This is just a guess, but I believe Ford marketing is watching this very, very closely.

Remember, the future of Ford is in conquest sales.

Lots of 'em never owned a Ford, and know Jack-all about the company or its historical products.

They don't see cars the way we do, and brand name doesn't mean a lot. It could say Veeblefetzer, for all they care. The TC has a point of utility that has a strong appeal, with EU sales to prove it.

So, my intuition is that the TC could have a very powerful appeal to that kind of mindset. It could be a reprise of the original VW Microbus, with better graphics this time around.

I just wish they'd bring over the short wheel-base, regular roof-height version. Add RevoKnuckle and DSG and boost, lots of boost . . .

Connect_Express_400.jpg

2008 TC

This is just a guess, but I believe Ford marketing is watching this very, very closely.

Remember, the future of Ford is in conquest sales.

I concur.

One of the biggest groups "ripe" for conquest are Honda Element owners. However, these are "discriminating" buyers and I expect few would buy a Transit Connect with its current powertrain and warnings like this on on page 153 of the owner's manual.

WARNING ! Never tow a trailer with this vehicle. Your vehicle is not equipped to tow. No towing packages are available through an authorized dealer.
Edited by theoldwizard

One of the biggest groups "ripe" for conquest are Honda Element owners. However, these are "discriminating" buyers and I expect few would buy a Transit Connect with its current powertrain and warnings like this on on page 153 of the owner's manual.

An interesting thing to point out is that a Focus can tow with a hitch and Ford has seriously downrated the tow ratings on the Focus vs its European counterpart (when they where both on the C170 platform)...I dont see a reason why a TC can't tow something light weight with a hitch, unless Ford is in CYA mode

I expect few would buy a Transit Connect with its current powertrain and warnings like this on on page 153 of the owner's manual.

WARNING ! Never tow a trailer with this vehicle. Your vehicle is not equipped to tow. No towing packages are available through an authorized dealer.

Doesn't sound "Built Ford Tough" to me.

I'd love a TC with a consumer interior. I'm not sure element owners read their manuals. The Element has a Payload Capacity of 675#.

For the same money ($21K), people can go buy an entry level F150

so obviously, people want something different in the Transit connect.....

November '09 sales stats:

F-Series 30,494

Econoline 4,705

very old neglected Ranger 3,271

Transit Connect 1,165

Apparently many more (Americans) want capable trucks not "something different" Transit Connects.

Edited by F250

I did a screen grab from the Ford UK website, hope this is of use with your discussion.

Max Gross Train Mass implies they allow the diesel TCs to tow about 800 Kg (1700 lbs)

TransitConnectData.jpg

Cool, next time I'm in the UK I'll remember that. In spite of the "One Ford" slogan we get a European mini-van without the Euro diesel engine. Still, I wouldn't tow 1700 lbs with the TC's brakes/chassis on flat land even if it had a real powertrain.

Cool, next time I'm in the UK I'll remember that. In spite of the "One Ford" slogan we get a European mini-van without the Euro diesel engine. Still, I wouldn't tow 1700 lbs with the TC's brakes/chassis on flat land even if it had a real powertrain.

I'm with you F250, I tried to think of the words but this clip describes it perfectly:

Really Funny Caravan Accident!

Apparently many more (Americans) want capable trucks not "something different" Transit Connects.

They're different markets, no one is suggesting that TC is an F150 replacement.

A small inner city van has its place and buyers but it takes time to build sales.

What amazes me is that both the TC and F150 start at the same price....

Edited by jpd80