Hola, Focus.

I heard a few people speculate over on GMI that since the Focus appears to have moved up-class the Mercury version might be dead? If so this means that Ford has decided to pull the plug on Mercury even though they said they are committed to keeping it just a few months ago. I hope this is not the case since I think a Mercury version of this car would be a great addition to the Lincoln-Mercury showroom.

Does anyone know if we are actually going to see a Mercury version soon? I think it would be a great idea for Ford to broaden their small car strategy without pulling the Lincoln brand down.

Several reliable sources still say that the Mercury Focus is coming - likely at Chicago.

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Autoblog link had this"

One more interesting feature that will be available on the next-gen Focus is Dynamic Cornering Control. While torque vectoring has been increasingly used in high performance all-wheel-drive systems from Acura, BMW and Audi, Ford is applying the concept to the front-wheel-drive Focus. If it delivers, this should help provide even better handling balance with less understeer in the new compact.

So I wonder if that isn't RevoKnuckle?

I don't think it is. What they are referring to with that statement is the way the front differential is programed to transfer power from side to side, especially when exiting a corner under power. RevoKnuckle incorporates a different way to mount the suspension that counteracts torque steer, not understeer.

So then why weren't these technologies applied to the "new" 2.0L ? Of yeah, got to squeeze that injector in there someplace !

From the F150 engine spec web page

4.6L 3V 292 hp/4.6L = 63.47 hp/L

5.4L 3V 310 hp/5.4L = 57.41 hp/L

In your time at Ford did no one tell you that comparing engines using hp/litre in most cases is a folly? It has far more value as a marketing tool than it does as an engineering comparison. Hp/litre alone says nothing of how the power is made and if the GDI 2.0 NA engine makes 155hp at ~5600rpm then that would be very impressive. Of more value in engine comparison is torque/litre or rather the further normalisation of this figure to get Brake Mean Effective Pressure or BMEP.

If you look at the BMEP of this engine, 12.4 Bar, then I would have to agree that for the specification of this engine with 12:1 CR, dual cam phasing and DI then it isn't that impressive. For this specification I would be expecting an absolute minimum of 13 Bar BMEP and that translates to 152lbft. I wouldn't like to criticise this engine without seeing some other figures, it might get phenomenal BSFC figures. I expect however that these are not the final numbers we will see from this engine.

Edited by Inselaffe

Guys, you're forgetting two things, headroom and efficiency tuning. Compare the 2.0L GDI NA in the new Focus to what's currently on the market. You've got the Civic with the 1.8L I4 that makes about 150 hp, the Corolla which has the 1.8L iVVT that makes about 135-140 hp. The Nissan Sentra which has a 1.8L base and a 2.0L option which are in that ballpark. The Hyundai Elantra's 2.0L is there. Even the Mitsubishi Lancer's base engine is in that range. Those specs are just fine for intro and leave a SUBSTANTIAL amount of tuning headroom for the future.

Also, this engine likely has a VERY SERIOUS economy tune on it. You HAVE to know that they were probably aiming for a mpg figure of 40+ on the highway. They probably hit that mark.

I think the power numbers are BS, I think they aren't going to release the actual numbers until it's about to go on sale, they've been sandbagging since the 99 Cobra fiasco.

From Ford's press release "The new 2.0-liter DI Ti-VCT engine is up to 20 horsepower more powerful than the current 2.0 Duratec I-4 unit while contributing to projected fuel economy gains of more than 10 percent."

That would put it at 163, and I bet we'll see more, there's just no way an all-new engine with TiVCT, 12:1 compression vs. 10:1 and direct injection only makes 12 horsepower more, and nothing but a tiny 9lb. bump in torque.

At the same output as the Coyote it would make about 165 horsepower, and that's without DI, or looking at the friction gains that a 4 cylinder has.

In your time at Ford did no one tell you that comparing engines using hp/litre in most cases is a folly? It has far more value as a marketing tool than it does as an engineering comparison. Hp/litre alone says nothing of how the power is made and if the GDI 2.0 NA engine makes 155hp at ~5600rpm then that would be very impressive. Of more value in engine comparison is torque/litre or rather the further normalisation of this figure to get Brake Mean Effective Pressure or BMEP.

You are, in fact, correct.

However, BMEP is never published (although it is easily calculated) and few people, outside of engineering, have heard of it. HP/liter is easier to understand for "laymen".

Besides, within an engine "family" (like Modular), I still believe it a reasonable comparison.

If you look at the BMEP of this engine, 12.4 Bar, then I would have to agree that for the specification of this engine with 12:1 CR, dual cam phasing and DI then it isn't that impressive. For this specification I would be expecting an absolute minimum of 13 Bar BMEP and that translates to 152lbft. I wouldn't like to criticise this engine without seeing some other figures, it might get phenomenal BSFC figures.

Brake Specific Fuel Consumption is also another important reference that is typically never published.

High compression ratio engines, when running on regular (E10) gasoline, are subject to tip-in pre-ignition. Typically, timing will be set more conservative or more EGR will be added, especially at light throttle and medium loads to prevent this. Of course a fast downshift to a lower gear helps also.

I expect however that these are not the final numbers we will see from this engine.

I don't think there is much more to gain on regular (E10) fuel without a turbo. I am curious to see what kind of hp/torque it gets on E85.

"I see lots of Civic coupes on the road". 90% of them are old, pre 2006 versions with fart cans, falling apart.

Seems like most of the brand new models are sedans, and I don't hardly see any new 2 door Si's. The local Honda dealer has lots of 4 door Si's.

Coupe lovers don't put $$ where mouth is these days. When they are offered new, no buyers. The loyalist coupe owners such as Civics or ZX2's, have 10-20 year old cars and want to pay dirt cheap for a used ones. Coupes based on sedan bodies are dead, only specialty ones like Stang, Camaro, Nissan Z/GTR will live on.

Edited by 630land

27ish? I hope you are talking about the RS model...

nope, just MAXED out ala Fiesta which can hit $23k, I see a 4k diff between both base Fiesta/ Focus and their respective top of the line models......just take it easy on the options list, I'm gonna say 22-23 will be the median.....an RS model IF it comes with 300 odd horse i see around 32k....and thats 10 grand CHEAPER than the John Cooper Works Mini opted out...with 300 hp its GAME OVER.....